Grief must die - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Don't hit that red X, you will stay on site all day.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2005-03-28, 09:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Jeffey
Master Sergeant

Grief must die

I won't type up a big long story about it, as you all play(ed) PS and therfore have experienced the lameness that is the grief system. But getting grief locked because a prowler runs me over, is kind of...? Isn't there anything that they could do to overhaul this thing
Old 2005-03-28, 10:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
ChewyLSB
Major

Misc Info

I've never understood why people have such trouble with grief. The highest I've ever gotten was 500, and that was when I was being really stupid with Thumper plasma grenades. I mean, I've used all of the "grief machines" (Maelstrom Secondary or Tertiary, Anti-Infantry Pounder, Thumper Plasma), and I have NEVER grief locked. Closest I've ever come was 500, and my grief is usually under 100.
Old 2005-03-28, 11:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Smaug
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by ChewyLSB
I've never understood why people have such trouble with grief. The highest I've ever gotten was 500, and that was when I was being really stupid with Thumper plasma grenades. I mean, I've used all of the "grief machines" (Maelstrom Secondary or Tertiary, Anti-Infantry Pounder, Thumper Plasma), and I have NEVER grief locked. Closest I've ever come was 500, and my grief is usually under 100.
You must not be Emerald NC.... I can't remember how many times some retard has run infront of me whilst I was firing grenades at the top of a friendly packed staircase, thus giving me about 10 times the grief I should get because it exploded right in my face, and the other 10 NC's faces.
Old 2005-03-28, 11:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Mag-Mower
General

Misc Info

greif system need an overhaul, i was walking in a CY, and a vanguard hit me, i got a few points of damage+200 greif points, this is bull shite
Old 2005-03-28, 11:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Crashtopher
Private

That's a good point. Why do I get grief when a vehicle runs me over?
Old 2005-03-28, 11:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
ChewyLSB
Major

Misc Info

It's to stop people from intentionally running in front of vehicles to give the driver grief.
Old 2005-03-28, 02:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by ChewyLSB
It's to stop people from intentionally running in front of vehicles to give the driver grief.
Exactly. As a vehicle driver I hit people who run in front of me without even looking or stand right in the entrance to a base, forcing me to maneuver around them, the barriers, and whatever other traffic is coming and going. Infantry are stupid and inconsiderate of vehicles a lot of the time and I'm glad you get grief for being hit, because you guys need to watch where the hell you're going, too.
Old 2005-03-28, 03:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Jeffey
Master Sergeant

The worst is getting kicked by a BFR, you get like two or three "hits" of grief for one collision
Old 2005-03-28, 08:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
FatalLight
Sergeant Major

I thought the whole reason you got grief from being run over is because you do damage to him and they have no way of knowing whether or not you shot him...

Anyway the BFR kicked thing is THE WORST it just keeps piling and people don't get pushed off!
Old 2005-03-28, 10:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
ZionsFire
Lieutenant Colonel

Emerald NC grunts must be the most un-educated soldiers in the history of forever. Of course everyone sees me throwing grenades into the enemy packed tower, but oh, we must all jump infront of my plasma grenades! Yayyyyy! Plasma showers for all friendlies! yayyy!

Bastards.
Old 2005-03-28, 10:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

The ONLY change I think should be made to grief system is being hit by a vehicle and getting frief. If one hits you and you get weapons lock, well you shouldn't have had it so high in the first place.

While on the subject of grief, whats the most you've got all at once? Mine is 800. I got the finishing kill of a Magrider that when blew up killed TWO fully manned prowlers, almost instant weapons lock.
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none

Last edited by Lonehunter; 2005-03-28 at 10:52 PM.
Old 2005-03-29, 05:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

I had over 3000 grief on the test server once. It gave me an automatic 3 day ban. It was when BFRs first appeared on test, back when the Devs were the only ones supposed to be piloting them. Well, I had accidently gotten imprinted from a previous event so I was able to drive a Gunner Variant BFR. Naturally, dozens of people would crowd around my feet, and back then you got grief for stepping on people. Yeah, it wasn't pretty.

I was weapons locked within the first 20 minutes of being on the test server just from people getting underfoot, and it kept going up because there was no way for me to move my BFR without crushing somebody the way they crowded around me.

Oh, and a note: if you are automatically banned, there isn't anything the Devs can do about it. Even Sporkfire couldn't lift the ban. He tried to but the server wouldn't let him. And, it bans your whole account and extends across all characters. The wierd thing is, when I got back from the ban 3 days later, I still had 3000+ grief. However I was able to have them manually set the number back to zero. Not something you want to have happen though

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!

Last edited by Electrofreak; 2005-03-29 at 05:50 AM.
Old 2005-03-29, 06:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Well...you could have just stopped and got out...but that would be far less exciting.

what I love about the grief system is I can mow an entire courtyard and hit 1300, then I can OS that same courtyard and get 10.

Grief, it's what's for dinner.

Old 2005-03-29, 08:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Sobekeus
Well...you could have just stopped and got out...but that would be far less exciting.

what I love about the grief system is I can mow an entire courtyard and hit 1300, then I can OS that same courtyard and get 10.

Grief, it's what's for dinner.
Well, Sam did say recently that he'd be looking at the use and proliferation of OS's. Hopefully this is a prelude to a total CR overhaul, but who knows.
Old 2005-03-29, 09:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Jeffey
Master Sergeant

Another thing to keep in mind is how often you play. Myself, I play every day, for at the very least 2 hours (days I have work) otherwise I play all bloody day for a total of 6+ hours. Even if I watch every nade, and every bullet, I'll still run over some grunt in my marauder, or hit a friendly cloaker when I'm shelling from a prowler.

I won't even get into the fact that my weapon set of choice is a Rocket Rifle and a Thumper.

Generally speaking when I log to sleep, then goto school the next day, when I log in the next afternoon after school my grief has dropped about 150-200. It's very easy to re earn that grief in a day's play time.

It all loops back to how often you play and what weapons you use, but that doesn't justify anything, as it stands, the system punishes you for other people's stupidity. I'll go out on a limb and estimate that 90/100 weapon locks are not "real" griefers, just people like me who specialize with splash damaging weapons and is an active cav driver.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion