Bailing Mechanism Failure - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I thought i shot you.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Bailing Mechanism Failure
Yes 25 53.19%
No 6 12.77%
Give/Take Feature in the Cert System 16 34.04%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-07-27, 12:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Evilmp
Master Sergeant

Bailing Mechanism Failure

I don't know about you guys, but I hated this thing.

Mainly because it turned aircraft, for me, the terrible pilot, into a coffin. Yeah, I could get some skill, but flying isn't my thing. I like to take care of my mossie, but I use it almost entirely for transportation.

Sure it was nice getting more kills as AA, but I had a lot of fun hunting the pilot after he bailed before that thing was implemented as well.

It's not a game breaker for me either way, but do you think it should be carried over to PS2?
Old 2011-07-27, 12:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
exLupo
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Re: Bailing Mechanism Failure

Assuming a 5 point skill scale: 55% failure default w/ -10% per level, first included. 45, 35, 25, 15, 5. Or 50 to 0.

I like even the best players being mercy to the occasional random "oh well" death but I also like random crits in shooters. Anathema to the competitive community but I like life dirty.
There is no better cause to fight than the simple need that blood be spilled. Do not fight because you receive reward or praise. Fight because that other bastard exists solely to die beneath the heel of your boot.

And that was that.
Old 2011-07-27, 01:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Valdae
Sergeant

I'd like to see it implemented. I like the idea of percentage scale too, give people who choose to be a pilot extra reward for their rank.
Old 2011-07-27, 01:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Bags
Lieutenant General

Keep it in just remove the RNG.
Old 2011-07-27, 02:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Bruttal
Sergeant Major

i think it should stay in just because if you bail you chances of surviving afterwards are only like 3%
Old 2011-07-27, 03:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
DashRev
Private

I hate bailing. If it were up to me, I'd rather see a 100% chance to fail if your aircraft took any damage at all in the last 60 seconds, with the exception of any pure transport craft like the Galaxy or Phantasm.

You want the higher reward of getting to a fight faster with an aircraft? You should be subject to the higher risk of getting shot down in your flying coffin. Either play it safe and take a ground vehicle or stop short of your destination, land, and get out. I dislike aircraft being so disposable.

Last edited by DashRev; 2011-07-27 at 03:22 PM.
Old 2011-07-27, 03:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
wildcat140679
Sergeant

There is nothing more frustrating than to have a pilot bail out the very last moment and even more frustrating is when that bailed out pilot kills you.

PlanetSide rewarded you only for killing a vehicle with pilot/gunners/passengers inside. Not getting rewarded for destroying a vehicle that was attacking you moments before the pilot bailed is the only reason the bailing failure mechanism got patched in to the game. People like to get rewarded for taking out a vehicle and this was only possible with the pilot/passengers still inside.

If PlanetSide 2 will reward players for damaging an occupied enemy vehicle and destroying it, even if the pilot/gunners/passengers bailed out, than I expect people will have less problems with not having a bailing failure mechanism, for there still getting rewarded for there efforts. Yet, still I believe having bailing failure mechanism is for the better of the game and I've a gut feeling some form of bailing failure mechanism will be within PlanetSide 2

An alternative way could be to have the pilot, gunners and passengers start taking damage to their personal armor and health as the vehicles health drops below a certain point. The goal is not to kill the occupants while there still in the vehicle, but to balance things. The longer your keep on fighting with the damage vehicle, greater the disadvantage of fighting with degraded personal armor and health conditions when you bailout will become.

An exaggerate situation. A foot soldier equipped with a Punisher with AP rounds and EMP and rockets ammo, other than that he doesn't have other Anti-Vehicle weapons, he gets attacked by a mosquito. Common sense would say, he's a dead man and unable to win.
But luck is on his side and he is able to make use of cover and hit it with an EMP round. While being near death himself, he's was able to bring the mosquito below 25% health. The pilot bails out in perfect health condition to gun down the near death foot soldier. Would the pilot have received damage because his vehicle took to much damage, he would be at a disadvantage as well, I'm pretty sure the pilot would still have won the gun battle on foot, but the situation would have felt more balanced for the foot soldier who lost the fight, for there was the idea of having a slim change of still winning.

Last edited by wildcat140679; 2011-07-27 at 03:50 AM.
Old 2011-07-27, 03:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Vancha
Colonel

Without bailing malfunctions, no pilot ever has to worry about dying in their aircraft short of getting instagibbed.

Perhaps the chance of a bailing malfunction could depend on whether the aircraft got hit in a particular location, and how many times...?
Old 2011-07-27, 04:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
exLupo
Contributor
Sergeant Major

IIRC bailout failures came in the wake of every TR pilot having a Striker and killing anybody that they lost a dogfight to. Not too big if the pilot was NC and pretty weak if they were VS but it was the de facto response by anybody in a red plane.
There is no better cause to fight than the simple need that blood be spilled. Do not fight because you receive reward or praise. Fight because that other bastard exists solely to die beneath the heel of your boot.

And that was that.
Old 2011-07-27, 04:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Azren
Sergeant Major

There should be a possibility for the bailing mechanism to fail. Since it has been said that the vehicles will have subsystems, just link this to one of them. If that said subsystem is damaged, the chance of bailing gets lower. If it gets destroyed, you can not bail at all. Overall damage to the craft would include damage to this subsystem too, hence if your craft has taken 50%+ damage, even if the bailing system was not hit directly, there would still be a chance for it to fail.

Also, there should be a minimal flight height you need for bailing, anything below that and you take damage upon hitting the ground, or even die.

This may seam a bit one sided, but think of all the other vehicle drivers who can not bail at all, tanks for example.
Old 2011-07-27, 04:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Aractain
Major

Bailing was not fun to face. And well, the bailer lost why should the he get more fun?

The balance of fun must be kept. If you don't want to die, be a better pilot.
NO BAILING!
Old 2011-07-27, 05:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

I think it's too early to jump into assumptions. I mean, the new aircraft system is going to be "complex and innovative" + locational vehicle damage was confirmed.

It may end up being like in BF where 2 heatseekers were enough to shoot down a fighter. In that case bailing mechanisms failure would not be very sexy.
Old 2011-07-27, 05:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
FastAndFree
Contributor
Major

You know what would be great?

If the "ejection seat" would be an upgrade that you need to put on your plane. Meaning you would have to sacrifice space/slots you could use to pack actually useful equipment/systems/ammo/armor/chaff/whatever

(Yes, I hate bailing too)
Old 2011-07-27, 06:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
exLupo
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Since we know nothing about any of this, I was wondering something. Two things really.

1) Would it be right to count bails as a kill if more than some percentage of damage was done and credit to the attackers?

2) Is there a "pilot suit" one is required to wear to fly anything? If so, even if they do bail they may be left with not much more than a pistol and a rek.

And that was that.
Old 2011-07-27, 06:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Aractain
Major

Counting them as a full kill (maybe even a "CHICKEN!" bouns for making them so scared) would solve most of the problem.

Pilot suits with nothing in them isn't fun. So you bail and escape and now the game turns into a bad copy of splinter cell without the stupid AI?

If you can find someway to make that fun I guess... but I would rather be back at base getting another bullet magnet to fly over enemy airspace.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion