What to play with 56k? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Because I'm worth it
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-12-09, 02:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Blacktea
Private

What to play with 56k?

Well guys here is the question... with 56k connection these are my pings:
around 250 in empty land, 500 in small firefight, 1000 in big firefight, 2000 up to 16000!! in zergs... and i think i am not the only one, so guys with 56k, what do you play?

I figured out that if you are not total looser, you can still own with such slow connection...

as a SNIPER, stationary targets are stationary with ping 40 as well as with 500, easy kills with 56k. Moving targets... just get into practice counting with your high ping (up to 500) in advance and target more in front of your target, again with practice easy kills

as SUPPORT well this is kind of thing i find myself in now, adv ingeneering does not rely on ping, nor does adv medic very much, flying or driving transports can be done as well, just stay out of zergs...

yeah zergs suck with 56k...

i would appreciate any suggestions what to play with slow connection, honestly i rely on YOU gouy to widen my perception of possibilities in this game... thanks
Old 2003-12-09, 03:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
ViperGTS
Banned

I alos have a vert serios desise(wow so many spelling errors...)....its called 56K-itetes
Its very very evil.........
Old 2003-12-09, 03:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Madcow
Lieutenant Colonel

What I learned when I was playing on a 56k (thank goodness that's over):

Sniper is actually easier than it is on a broadband connection. Often times the system is 'guessing' which was an individual is running as your computer isn't taking in enough information to be up to date with movements. Because of this, people run in a lot of straight lines on your screen. It makes it far easier to snipe when you don't have to concern yourself with zig zagging targets.

Driving vehicles is also in your favor for the same reason. It ticks me off something fierce to be run over by something nowhere near me, and it's because the driver of the vehicle has a bad connection. On their screen I've run right in front of their vehicle, on my screen I'm safely somewhere else. Client side hit detection means they win. Unfortunately, as soon as you get into anything resembling a medium battle you'll be in a slide show and blown apart. You have to make a big effort to stay away from the masses, and don't even consider aircraft.

Infiltrator is still fun, but like vehicles you have to stay away from anything beyond a small-medium battle. I spent most of my 56k time cloaking, and trying to take out Snipers/Phoenix users who were well behind battle lines. Your best bet connection wise is to pick off the loners or strays. Ninja combat engineer is fun as well, dropping boomers/mines/spitfires behind enemy lines and annoying them.

Oh yeah, never take the bomber seat in a Liberator. I tried a few times and as soon as you get over a semi-busy base your connection won't even allow you to drop bombs. Your pilot will not be real pleased with you.
Old 2003-12-09, 04:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
TeraHertz
Major

Originally Posted by Blacktea
i would appreciate any suggestions what to play with slow connection, honestly i rely on YOU gouy to widen my perception of possibilities in this game... thanks
Battlefield1942. Forget PSide till you get adsl. Seriously, do you really want to pay this ammount for only a fraction of a game?
Stick to BF1942 32 player games on offical EA servers and you'll have a better time than you'll ever experiance in this game with the same connection.
Old 2003-12-09, 08:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Zompton
Corporal

OMG you couldnt be more right, stay out of other peoples gunner seats if our on 56k.

When i was on 56k i found sniper, cloacker, combat engineer, any support, or transporter are the best positions.
PC in the Works; Pentium4 2.8ghz 800mhz FSB, Albatron PX865PE Pro2 motherboard (OC king), 1536mb(1-1/2ghz) Corsair TWINX XMS3200 DDR400mhz Dual Channel RAM, Radeon 9600pro 128mb 8xAGP graphics card, Duel 80ghz 7200rpm 8mb harddrives, Windows XP Professional, 19" Sony GS420 monitor with 1600x1200@85hz resolution, 5.1 surroundsound system, and more...
Old 2003-12-09, 09:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Biohazzard56
Contributor
Major General

I just tried it out its kinda cheap *plugs DSL back in*
Old 2003-12-09, 10:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Vimp
Sergeant

Im curious what exactly the symptoms of a bad connection are. I have cable. However I find in the really big battles I get major delays. Things not delayed are my ability to move around and shoot, Things delayed are doors opening, station access, reloading, and the movements of other players to a lesser degree. Reloading can take literally one whole minute before it happens and doors take forever to open. A nice benefit to this huge annoyance is that shots fired at me don't register till long after the fact and that enemies usually don't seem to see me for a long time. I can walk through huge crowds of enemies and not get hurt and none of them even look at me. However any shots I fire on them do count. This results in me being able to take out an enemy like 5 minutes after someone already killed me but it dosn't register on my computer that I got killed till long after the fact. Meanwhile I've killed others and ran through many crowds of enemies long after I already died to everyone else. This would likly appear on other peoples screens as if they just died for no reason since they saw no enemy shooting them but yet I was there shooting them. However I simelarly take damage with out seeing anyone shooting at me because of the huge delay.
Old 2003-12-10, 05:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
FraudulentBob
Sergeant Major

Get.. a... better... connection...
Old 2003-12-10, 09:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Madcow
Lieutenant Colonel

@Vimp

I had that happen way too often on 56k, can't imagine why you'd have it happening with cable. I have a bunch of screenshots of me behind enemy lines during a base siege. I could empty my weapons into somebody and they wouldn't even die, then I'd hit reload and 3-4 minutes later my weapon actually would reload. I ran around the first time it happened shooting people and kind of laughing about it figuring the system had dropped me completely somehow. Once I did die all of the people I had shot died at the same time, as if all of the information made it to the server at once. That's only a fraction of the annoyance of standing for 5 minutes at a busy AMS trying to get your gear though.
Old 2003-12-10, 11:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Vimp
Sergeant

Well as much as my symtoms point to a bad connection my ping never goes over 200ms. And its ONLY in big battles that I get these problems. And how could my Cable not be good enough? I went to Bandwidthplace.com and my connection rates around 30% better then a T1 connection.
Old 2003-12-10, 12:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
mayesey
Private

how long does it take to download the patches with 56k then? surely it takes hours?
Old 2003-12-10, 12:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Hamma
PSU Admin

Yes, i suspect many hours.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2003-12-10, 12:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
mayesey
Private

maybe ill wait until i get broadband before getting this game then. do you need the patches to play the training missions offline?
Old 2003-12-10, 01:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Hamma
PSU Admin

There is an offline training - not much in there to do however heh - and I dont know if you need the patches to run it.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2003-12-10, 01:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Blacktea
Private

i downloaded ps a month ago, first patch was round 3 hours, every new realeased patch ranges from 10 minutes to one hour. nothing bad if u are not some wanking computer-addicted freak, just turn the patch on and read something while it goes on. no problem.

btw: that "cought in lag" thing with killing people while ur long dead (happened to me many times) is insane, somethinng should be done against it
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion