Anyone have useful flying tips? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Prep'ed for glory.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-12-11, 03:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
BadAsh
First Lieutenant

Anyone have useful flying tips?

I'm annoyed when trying to get my flying configuration all set up. Because of the asinine "perpetual yaw" motion of PS aircraft you have to turn your mouse sensitivity to 0 or spin hopelessly in circles. However, when you exit the aircraft you need your mouse sensitivity back. Finally, the lame key mapping interface does not allow separate mouse sensitivities for each set up (aircraft, infantry, ground vehicle, max, etc.) so your mouse sensitivity is global.

Sooo... how do you guys fly, exit your aircraft, and still be able to turn when walking? Is there a way to change your mouse sensitivity on the fly? Of have you guys found a way to stop the �perpetual yaw� motion of your aircraft?

Finally, if you use a joystick for flying how do you disable the mouse for flying?

BadAsh
Old 2003-12-11, 05:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Vper54
Private

I fly mine at top sensitivity...with mouse. I'm just use it it and I find better moveabilltiy with it.
Old 2003-12-11, 08:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
SilverLord
Lieutenant Colonel

I think there is a flying sensativity and another one for soldiers. I think Movement Sensetivity is the flying, and just Sensativity is the ground troops one.

Old 2003-12-11, 09:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Jagd
Major

Crank your sensitivity up, and practice with a skeeter in 3rd person view. Once you get the light touch down you'll be glad you took the time to learn. While you are still perfecting this, use Alt-R to center your plane controls and fly straight ahead-- this will save you a lot of aggravation from rolling side to side and never "settling" when you just want to cruise in and land.

I'd also recommend putting your Flight Elevate command to Z, and Lower to C. When you want to climb in a hurry, tilt the nose up while holding down Z. Similarly, for a fast dive, tilt forwards and hold C. Since there are no breaks on aircraft (well, none that stop you dead like the spacebar on ground vehicles) you will have to get a feel for when to start holding down S to deaccellerate when you want to hover over something.

Once you are comfortable flying through Hossin swamp (and I mean under those roots and everything), you can switch to 1st Person view and fly around in there some more. A Liberator is also a good way to practice the light touch and gentle turns since it has a built-in warning system if you go too far. Take it out in VR, and practice rolling back and forth, side to side without disabling the bombs. After that, you should be about ready for Reaver duty.

Last edited by Jagd; 2003-12-11 at 09:04 AM.
Old 2003-12-11, 12:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Anakin
Private

Hey Ash,
As far as controls go, I don't think it would do you any good for me to post my controls, I find these are personal settings and each Gamer has to find what he or she is comfortable with. With regard to the 'Perpetual Yaw' giving you problems, there is a setting you can use to adjust this (may help with Joysticks as well). Adjusting the steering 'Auto-Center' will cause your plane to snap back to a level position automaticly. I do not use this setting personally, but I've heard some piltos swear by it.

As for Flying in General... Hints I've found useful...

1) Save your AB for Dogfights or Escaping AA. The tendency of most pilots is to use their AB to get to the battle fast, this is a waste. The Airships travel fast enough as it is, and the AB is your best defense against all perils your Aircraft Faces. What works best for me is to Tap the AB's in order to perform turns and manuvers more quickly. This seems to give me the edge over enemy planes much of the time.

2) Fly Low to Avoid AA. ****Warning... You will hit land mines, even when flying 10ft or so off the ground **** That being said, I still find this tactic very usefull as AA Max and Skyguard Gunners are Generally Scanning the Sky. Comming in low allows you to identify/escape them before they get the bead on you, as well as get the Jump on those AA Max in your Reaver.

Hope those help. For a more detailed flying 'tutorial' check out the 'Art of War' forum on the Planetside.com Boards. SilentSparrow has posted a very well thought out guide, using calaborations and ideas from some of Emeralds Finest Pilots.

Anakin
Old 2003-12-11, 02:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Vis Armata
Contributor
Sergeant Major

I don't have much to add, except that remapping the level command from Alt-R to H (who needs planetside help, anyway?) helps to get you centered quickly.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion