The Lodestar needs some lovin***8217; - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Now with real strawberries!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-12-11, 11:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
TheRagingGerbil
Contributor
Major

The Lodestar needs some lovin***8217;

{I posted this on the OF, but just looking for some input here as well}

First off, I want to say thanks. The vehicle concept is great, and it had really turned out to be a huge help in the field. The ability to quickly deliver heavy vehicles to any location in the world has definitely changed the face of the battlefield.

I***8217;ve been playing with it over the last week or two; flew it around, loaded vehicles, mowed, and taken full advantage of its repair/rearm functions. Everything is great, but visually...it***8217;s just plain stupid. I***8217;m actually offended the developers would even allow this flying lunchbox into the game at all. I know I would have laughed the artist who delivered this straight out of my office.

I know you were limited to it***8217;s overall size by the dimensions of the dropship pads, but come on, I know you have more talent then this. The loading bay animation is fine, and I think the pilot loading animation is actually very good. No landing gear or vectored thrust? And what the hell are the curb-feelers for? Tell me those aren***8217;t the wings.

The overall hull of the vehicle is fine, a bit blocky for my taste and anything but aerodynamic, but I can live with that. I have some ideas that will visually enhance the Lodestar and actually make it look like it fits in the PlanetSide Universe.

Existing Hull:
Remove the micro wings. Remove the aft stabilizer fins. Remove the landing feet. Keep everything else the same.

Wings:
The Galaxy wings are great, and that is what I would use to start with. Two sets of the wings with engines attached would be perfect. The overall hull of the loadstar is long enough to support the width of two Galaxy style wings per side. Install two wings per side, a set near the front of the aircraft, and a set to the rear. Basically, while in flight, an engine at each corner would support it.

To get it to fit on the vehicle pad, it would come up with the wings in a vertical position, and then fold down to a horizontal position as it took off. Upon landing, the pilot could toggle this to change the ground footprint of the vehicle. This would also represent the vehicles deployed and undeployed state, which I***8217;ll discuss below.

Repair/Rearm Functionality:
On the underside of each of the wings, add a small repair/rearm silo. When the pilots lands, he would hit the deploy button. The wings would fold from their horizontal flight position to a vertical deployed position. This would expose and activate the repair/rearm silos. Add the Nanite repair animation so we know they are working. When the pilot wants to take off again, he would hit the deploy button, folding the wings back down, then he could take off.

Rear Stabilizer fins:
Since this is a four-engine lift, I don***8217;t think it needs the addition of flight fins. Plus, it will keep the flight profile shorter.

Landing Gear:
Add four of the Galaxies big ass landing pads to the bottom. A little animation when coming in for a landing would be nice.

Protective Shield:
The shield is nice and all, but I don***8217;t think it needs to be quite so domed looking. Makes the Lodestar look like my lunchbox. A nice flat shield would be much better looking.

Cargo:
How hard would it be to allow multiple vehicles to board at once? With the current size of the cargo bay, you could fit up to six ATV***8217;s inside. Possibly even two harassers or heavy buggies. This leads me to my next point.

With the changes I suggested above, the overall size of the hull itself could be increased to carry up to two of the largest vehicles. Is this even remotely possible? I would love to see a Lodestar packing two Vanguards, or a Sunderer with an AMS, or three Deliverers, maybe even an entire squad worth of ATV***8217;s. The possibilities are limitless.

TheRagingGerbil
Old 2003-12-11, 11:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
FraudulentBob
Sergeant Major

If it ain't broke..
Old 2003-12-11, 12:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Queensidecastle
Contributor
Major

I dont have any problem with it. I rather like that it looks like a flying brick. I do agree that haveing any pretense of wings is kinda dumb. I mean it is clearly obvious that the Loadstar flys on jet blowers alone and has no chance in hell at any aerodynamics
Old 2003-12-11, 12:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Everay
Major General

id like to point out the domed sheild is so a sunderer can fit in it
Old 2003-12-11, 12:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Pronlol
Private

I think it is safe to say that physics in planetside are beyond anything that makes since. I mean me and my friend dustin (one of the best mag drivers) literally grind on the rails on bridges and its hallarious because we are sideways the whole way.
Old 2003-12-11, 02:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Rarzo
Sergeant

Originally Posted by FraudulentBob
If it ain't broke..
I agree
Old 2003-12-11, 02:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
I Hate Pants
General

Loadstar is alright. I see nothing wrong with it.
Old 2003-12-11, 03:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
TheRagingGerbil
Contributor
Major

I know it ain't broke but come on, the damn think looks like it was designed by one of the programmers. Everything I suggested would be handled by the artist (ok, a little programming for the animations, but I bet those are just scripts...) and I'm sure they aren't to busy at the moment. Well, they shouldn't be unless they are working on the next expansion already.
Old 2003-12-11, 04:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
NoSurrender
Contributor
Colonel

i think it should be able to carry multiple small vehicles.

Thanks to Eine for my awesome sig
Old 2003-12-11, 05:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Fenrys
Major

I think the piolet should be able to lower the bording ramp, then as many vehicles or infantry as you can cram on board should be allowed to ride it in.
Old 2003-12-11, 06:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
I Hate Pants
General

Originally Posted by Fenrys
I think the piolet should be able to lower the bording ramp, then as many vehicles or infantry as you can cram on board should be allowed to ride it in.
A delicious target for reavers.

Please leave the loadstar alone. The devs already have enough items in thier "buff" this, "nerf" that, pile.
Old 2003-12-11, 09:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Seer
Major

Originally Posted by I Hate Pants
The devs already have enough items in thier "buff" this, "nerf" that, pile.
While I think the lodestar is fine as is, I see this line of reasoning a lot and I think it is a bit of a cop out. The developers designed the entire game from concept and have proved many times that they're competant enough to sift through as much of the balancing pile as possible.
Old 2003-12-11, 09:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Spee
Colonel

Yes, but if no one bitched, would the devs do anything?

If a tree falls in the forest, and no one hears it, does it make a sound?
Old 2003-12-11, 09:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Seer
Major

No one bitches

I'm trying to imagine a userbase that wouldn't bitch. Given the promotions that Sony has been launching, I think this isn't far from the truth.

Kim Jong Il: The immortal DPRK has teamed up with Sony Online Entertainment to bring something wonderful to the hardworking people of north korea. Masses, I think you'll like this new game. It's called planetside. From now on you will all play it for at least three hours a week at state licensed facilities.

Guy in crowd: I... I think I'd rather have food, great one.

*guy is dragged out of sight, followed by a single gunshot*

Masses: ...we love Planetside!

Kim Jong Il: That's what I thought.
Old 2003-12-11, 11:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Veteran
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

I like the Lodestar's appearance, but its utility is far more important. I'd rather the devs not have to backpedal, especially with the holidays approaching. I want PS to be as stable as possible when the devs take their (well deserved) holiday vacation.

"Blessed are those who Hunger and Thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied." - Jesus Christ

PlanetSide player, retired
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion