ISO: Connection Speed Help - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Making America skinny, one slap at a time.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2003-06-20, 08:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
PhadeToBlack
Private

Question ISO: Connection Speed Help

My system runs PS pretty well (P4 2.4 Ghz, 768 MB RAM, GeForce 4 MX 420 (64 MB)) but I lag due to my overbearingly crappy connection. I mean dark ages. I can't connect over 26.4, and I am obviously out of range of DSL and Cable, and Satellite connections are no good for gaming (due to protocol switching, distance, and just generally bad latency).

I think I would be content to even get a full 56k out of my alleged 56k connection, but I'd be happy if anyone had a suggestion for somehow getting a broadband connection.

All suggestions are welcome. If you know of tweaks/programs that will help speed up my current coat hanger connection, it would be welcome, as would any broadband solutions, no matter how outlandishly priced.

Thanks.

PhadeToBlack
Old 2003-06-20, 08:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
powdahound
Contributor
PSU Staff
Code Hound

I know your pain all too well.

One thing to check would out would be your modem and your ISP. You could really benefit from buying a nice new modem, getting a local ISP (something that's not overrun like the larger ISPs).

Also: unplug EVERYTHING else that's plugged into the phone line you're using to connect to the net. Any phones/faxes that are plugged in will slow it down a little bit more. You could even get your phone wiring redone if it's old (if you live in an ancient house like me).
Old 2003-06-20, 09:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
PhadeToBlack
Private

My modem is fairly new, as I just got my system in late December. Also, I hooked up a US Robotics external modem and got the same result.

I do use a local ISP (DelMarVa Online, if it matters) just because my parents actually bothered to ask my opinion when we got it (years ago). As long as I can remember, I've been stuck at this connection speed, so there probably isn't anything I can do about it.

As for other stuff on the line slowing it down, the computer is the only thing on this line (we have a second line for the 'net). The wiring also isnt very old (maybe a year) because we just put it in when we got the second line.

Be nice if I was rich/crazy enough to get a T1 run out here, lol. I could cover the ~$400 a month to use it, but I imagine trying to get it out here would cost a TON...

Thanks for the quick reply and multiple suggestions though.

Can anybody think of anything else?

PhadeToBlack
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum