PSU: moving from topic to topic.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2003-06-21, 03:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
PapaRoach
Private

Anyone wanna give me a hand

Ok I need the following in a budget of $250 within planetside standards.

AMD XP 1800+ Or Above
New Motherboard with at least support for x4 agp and DDR2100 or SDRAM PC 133 and 2-4 PCI Slots
Fan Heatsink (Preferibly Do not want to apply thermal grease it all put together and shiped to be would be the best)
512mb of DDR 2100 or SDRAM PC 133 (must be compatible with motherboard chipset)
A GForce 4 440 128mb x4 agp ddr or sd video card
Mabe need a new power supply

If Anyone can point me in a right direction I have searched all over pricewatch but some of the dealers seem questionible.

Thanks
PapaRoach

Last edited by PapaRoach; 2003-06-21 at 03:19 AM.
Old 2003-06-21, 08:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
powdahound
Contributor
PSU Staff
Code Hound

You should try to get DDR instead of PC133 SDRAM. You'll notice a big difference.

If you think a dealer is questionable look on www.resellerratings.com to find out what other people think of them.
Old 2003-06-21, 11:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Daleon
Second Lieutenant

Well just taking a quick glance at Newegg you can go this way:

$85 Epox 8RDA+ Nfroce2 MB
$58 Chaintech GF4 MX440 SE 128
$44 Athalon XP1700 Tbred
$56 Buffalo 512 PC2700 DDR
------
$243

You can oc the XP1700+ quite a bit. Tbred cores are much better than Palamino's. I like the MB b/c it has nice features and will let you upgrade later and keep the board longer. The mem looks good, but I don't know the brand. The video I don't like at all, but it gets you in under budget.

If you can go a little more, they have Connect3D ATI 9200/128's for $79.00. Cheapest I have see them and prolly smoke the GF4.
Old 2003-06-21, 11:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Prowler
PSU Realdoll

All I have to say is Intel > AMD
Old 2003-06-21, 01:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Onizuka
Lieutenant General

AMD > Intel
Old 2003-06-21, 01:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
powdahound
Contributor
PSU Staff
Code Hound

Originally posted by Onizuka
AMD > Intel
<sup><b>^2</b></sup>
Old 2003-06-21, 02:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Prowler
PSU Realdoll

IF you like over heating then go with AMD.
Old 2003-06-21, 02:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
NoSurrender
Contributor
Colonel

no actually intel creates more heat but the better cpu for the money is AMD but since its prowler who is the type of person who money is no object then Intel wins... :/ if your a fanboy plz dont flame

Thanks to Eine for my awesome sig
Old 2003-06-21, 02:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
powdahound
Contributor
PSU Staff
Code Hound

Actually AMDs DO create more heat, but the one thing that all "AMDs are too hot" people fail to realize is that they are MEANT TO RUN HOTTER. It's NOT a bad thing!!! Get over it!

AMDs are much cheaper for the ammount of power you get, which makes them very appealing. I own AMD (xp2100+) and Intel (3.06ghz w/HT) by the way, so I'm not just stating a biased opinion... I've used both.

Btw you can't go commenting on all this stuff if you didn't even do the research and build your own PC... You have no idea what the cooling needs are or anything.
Old 2003-06-21, 03:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Prowler
PSU Realdoll

Oh I know the cooling needs, and AMD is crap If you want a AMD you need to buy mad fans which in the end makes intel a beter deal because it is l33t. Owned you powda gg.
Old 2003-06-21, 04:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Daleon
Second Lieutenant

I don't know why ppl think AMD's and heating is an issue. Mine is oc'd from 2ghz/266 fsb to 2.2/400 fsb and it stays around 39c at max load. Considering these chips can handle well over 60c, though that is hot, heat is never much of an issue.

I just think its funny ppl say Intel owns AMD, when a $50 cpu from AMD can be cranked to within 10% performance range of a $450 Intel cpu.
Old 2003-06-21, 06:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
PapaRoach
Private

lolz well this has turned into a AMD bashing thread and the AMD guys are trying to defend there beloved processor.

But atm unless you can offored an Intel 3.06ghz with HT and 800mhz FSB and a decent motherboard to support it there is really no contest really is there.

AMD Processors are for the rest of us who dont go out and spend 1000 dollars on upgrading our computers.

I have a 4 year old intel Pentium 3 500mhz with I think is 100FSB and its really time to upgrade but I just realized I am proboly gunna need a new HDD along with all that witch is gunna cut eather memory or the video card looks like my dream of play planetside without any magor issues is going down the drain. But can I ask a question I am abit rusty but dont Fan/Heatsink's come with a heat pad on the bottom so you dont have to apply thermal grease?

Anyways if anyone has anymore suggestions without trying to prove whos the more intelegent I would happly take it into consideration.

Peace
PapaRoach
Old 2003-06-21, 09:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Sentrosi
Contributor
General

Easiest thing to recognize in buying a PC and which Processor to get is this....

What are you going to use the PC for?

If you're a gamer, then the best thing to do is go the cheaper brand CPU chip and get a mad video card. Thus the AMD 2100+ thoroughbred core with a Radeon 9500pro or 9600pro would be nice.

If on the other hand you want to use your PC for more multimedia encoding and video editing, the CPU of choice is the Pentium family. They offer more multimedia instructions than AMD does and also offer hyperthreading, which will only help you out if you do a lot of number crunching, like video editing and encoding and database management.

Seeing as how you are a gamer, I would recommend going the AMD route. Get the following:

Motherboard: Abit NF7-S NForce-2 (ver 2) MCP2-T/AGP 8X 333/400 DDR400 for $128.00
Processor:AMD Athlon XP 2100+ (runs at 1.73Ghz) for $74.00

To the next idiot who says the PS2 Devs do not listen: See this Thread
Old 2003-06-21, 09:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
PapaRoach
Private

Originally posted by Sentrosi
Easiest thing to recognize in buying a PC and which Processor to get is this....

What are you going to use the PC for?

If you're a gamer, then the best thing to do is go the cheaper brand CPU chip and get a mad video card. Thus the AMD 2100+ thoroughbred core with a Radeon 9500pro or 9600pro would be nice.

If on the other hand you want to use your PC for more multimedia encoding and video editing, the CPU of choice is the Pentium family. They offer more multimedia instructions than AMD does and also offer hyperthreading, which will only help you out if you do a lot of number crunching, like video editing and encoding and database management.

Seeing as how you are a gamer, I would recommend going the AMD route. Get the following:

Motherboard: Abit NF7-S NForce-2 (ver 2) MCP2-T/AGP 8X 333/400 DDR400 for $128.00
Processor:AMD Athlon XP 2100+ (runs at 1.73Ghz) for $74.00
Yeah I see what you mean but the fact is this is my birthday money so its gunna be between $200 and $300 at the most since we havent got much money atm and I am curently looking for employment (given the fact where we live and I do not have a car there is not much around) and I really wanted to play planetside for the fact is when I first started online gaming (about 4-5 years ago) I thought up this kinda of game (an MMOFPS) but enuf about my life story.

The motherboard you pointed me in the direction of only supports ATA Serial and having to go out a purchase a new have drive (I beleve I have a ATA 66 atm) is kinda gunna limit what I can get. But there is still hope that I can talk some more money outta my reletives. I know I am going for a AMD processor I am not to sure about a N-force Motherboard altho it would be nice I am still on a tight budget so I will have to so and try and find the perfect combo.

Another Question does anyone here play planetside on a 64mb Gforce 4 or a Ati Radeon? does it run alright? becuz that proboly what I am gunna have to go for.

Peace
PapaRoach
Old 2003-06-21, 10:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Sentrosi
Contributor
General

Cool, I now have a budget to work with. $300 is sort of steep, I'll attempt to quote you prices, but the nice thing about monarchcomputers.com is the fact that they'll burn in and test the board before shipping it to you with the components.

nForce boards are essential when it comes to the AMD boards. They allow greater flexibility in configuring and overclocking.

Here's what I've found for you:

Motherboard/CPU combo: Epox EP-8RDA Socket A DDR MB with Athlon XP 1800+ (1.53Ghz) 266FSB CPU & Fan for $126.47
I run this same board with my 2200+ and have had zero problems with it. Great board and great OCing abilities too.

Memory:
Crucial Micron Original PC2700 333Mhz DDR 512MB 64X64 for $64.00
PC2100 memory is about the same price as the 2700s these days. You don't want to be running anything slower than the 2700, and this is the same memory I'm running inside my PC with zero problems.

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon 9200 Atlantis - 128Mb - 8X - Retail - TV out- DVI for $79.99

This all leaves you with about $20 to spend on shipping and handling. This may be more than $20, but I'm sure you can earn the money doing things your parents need done around the house. Be extra special to them and they'll see that you get this PC.

To the next idiot who says the PS2 Devs do not listen: See this Thread

Last edited by Sentrosi; 2003-06-21 at 10:48 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum