Built in Alliance tools. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Home of the Martians
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-03-05, 09:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Question Built in Alliance tools.

Back in "some-other-game-that-will-not-be-named" my outfit, the Bastard Battalion, was part of a cross outfit alliance.

This was a great idea that took a great deal of manual, out-of-game management to do.

I wonder what the is possibility of an in game tool for forming alliances while maintaining the identity of individual outfits. First off, an alliance field in the outfit page for outfits that you want to be allied with, this would open up features like a new VOIP level, [Alliance]. This may also open up the possibility of a Commander level method of play, were a council of nominated members are elevated to assume a command role and be able to mark things for groups of Platoons.

This alliance system could tie directly in with the idea of Outfit specialization, Mission system and advancement systems already proposed by developers. It also could be very reminiscent of an idea from many years ago in "some-other-game-that-will-not-be-named".

Full idea from the way back machine here.

Think in terms of the Commander mode in BF, or the Commander mode in Natural selection 2, or the game Savage. Perhaps that's to large of a scope, but at the very least, Alliance should be able to be formed in game, with the addition of the new VOIP chat.

What other features would people like to see in a set of tools for "Alliance" like system?

Last edited by MrBloodworth; 2013-03-05 at 09:49 AM.
Old 2013-03-05, 09:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

Re: Built in Alliance tools.

This is a great idea and would add a lot to coordinated gameplay. This kind of infrastructure shouldnt be too damned hard to implement.
Old 2013-03-05, 09:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

This is the kind of thing Planetside2 needs, not some contrived "load the next map" type of forced linear system, especially if the population goes up and outpost become more defensible against vehicle spam.

Better communication tools, higher populations, and the will of the community will make the hex system a success.
Old 2013-03-05, 09:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Sentrosi
Contributor
General

I would love to see this kind of integration within PS2.

To the next idiot who says the PS2 Devs do not listen: See this Thread
Old 2013-03-05, 09:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Main Thrust is to keep outfit identities intact. This also creates a big role for small-by-choice-outfits.

They become part of the machine as a cog, with out mixing with the randoms.
Old 2013-03-05, 09:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Hamma
PSU Admin

Yes.

Sadly the game almost forces huge outfits at the moment. I don't think the intent from the Devs is for every Empire to have one large outfit.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2013-03-05, 11:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Takoita
Private

Yes, in-game tools for troop coordination are sorely needed. Damn /re chat is still wonky and ORDERS are spammed with outfit ads more often than not.

BTW, Chieftain has called for Cobalt TR outfit leadership meet this Friday, the more we can get to participate, the better.

Further details (including TS server address and all that) are available at wgclan.co.uk
Old 2013-03-05, 12:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

There already is a very useful tool that alliances can use. Just create a custom channel.

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Old 2013-03-05, 03:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
bpostal
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Indeed, a password protected custom channel. Of course, the ability to draw on the map and share that map (maybe in real time?) wouldn't go amiss.

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
Old 2013-03-05, 03:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

The Existence of a custom chant does not really negate the need for in game auto creation upon creation of an alliance.
Old 2013-03-05, 03:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
bpostal
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Of course not, but it is a tool that shouldn't be overlooked.

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
Old 2013-03-05, 03:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Hamma
PSU Admin

Indeed.

When I think Alliance systems I think EVE Online. Only slightly less complex.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2013-03-05, 04:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

It kind of cracks me up that we have received heat from some who hate our outfit because it is large. It has many divisions that offer various play styles. Many smaller outfits specialize and we're like an alliance of specialized outfits that coordinate. So when we get an alliance system that allows multiple outfits to band together and function like a large outfit, what's next? BOA? Big Organized Alliances are ruining Planetside 2?

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Old 2013-03-05, 04:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Indeed.

When I think Alliance systems I think EVE Online. Only slightly less complex.
I don't have any experience with those. Do you know of any good articles or videos on the subject?

Everquest II has what is likely the best guild management interface in the MMO industry. It's a simple, tabbed interface that has an astounding amount of functionality. Here is a good description of what it has to offer. EQ2 also has a guild browser similar to the one in World of Warcraft, which again is a very helpful community building tool.

Facilitating the communication about battles and organizing the flow troops is super important, but the other aspects of in game community development equally impact player satisfaction and retention. It's kind of a whole package works together to create a... I dunno, some kind of grand unified user experience.

It's sad that they left these community building tools AND a well scripted, interactive tutorial (like Fallen Earth's) out of the launch of the game. That really hurt player retention.

Last edited by Tatwi; 2013-03-05 at 04:55 PM.
Old 2013-03-05, 04:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by EVILPIG View Post
It kind of cracks me up that we have received heat from some who hate our outfit because it is large. It has many divisions that offer various play styles. Many smaller outfits specialize and we're like an alliance of specialized outfits that coordinate. So when we get an alliance system that allows multiple outfits to band together and function like a large outfit, what's next? BOA? Big Organized Alliances are ruining Planetside 2?
NOT ABOUT YOU!

Sush.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion