5.1,6.1,7.1?? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Manufactured on a computer that processes peanuts.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2003-12-27, 01:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Ait'al
Contributor
General

5.1,6.1,7.1??

i see lots of big 600$ 5.1 speaker sets that look like there good. but i dont see anything in 6.1 or 7.1 thats anything above 2 or 3 little speakers and a center thing. Whys that? Do you just buy 5.1 or 7.1 speaker for the benefits or do you buy 5.1 and 7.1 or all three to get the capability of 7.1 and suround sound?

Last edited by Ait'al; 2003-12-27 at 03:22 AM.
Old 2003-12-27, 11:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Huh? 5.1,6.1 ect is the number of sepeakers that you have with the set(anything more than 2.1 is soround sound) 7.1 is 7 speakers with a subwolfer, thats the way it is with all speaker sets(you cant have a 2 speaker set thats is 7.1 channel)

thasts the best i can do as your message makes no scence.

In a realated toipc though i got an Audigy 2 ZS for xmas!

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2003-12-27, 03:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Ait'al
Contributor
General

spiffy! is it worth enough for me to get teh zs platinum pro?

Ill get some links to waht i was talking about

i think then it might have been a 2 speaker addon to there 5.1 cause there always 2 speakers and like 129$ it was all the speaker i say though.

And what do you look for in high end pc speakers?

wow i found one that has 7 8)

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...alog=60&depa=1

Is logitech the better maker?

http://shop4.outpost.com/product/3660445/ Is this a realy good company or something?

Last edited by Ait'al; 2003-12-27 at 03:26 PM.
Old 2003-12-27, 08:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
dscytherulez
Lieutenant Colonel

I have creative 7.1, they are nice but im having distortion problems...i dont think it is speaker related though. creative > logitech. The platinum is external, i think that is the only difference. And rbstr, 3.1 isnt surround
Old 2003-12-27, 11:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
I Hate Pants
General

Im still thrown off by all this sound device stuff.
Old 2003-12-28, 12:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
_-Gunslinger-_
First Sergeant

7.1 what the fuck is the point? Besides a headset works about 100 times better for pinpointing things by sound.
Old 2003-12-28, 02:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Ait'al
Contributor
General

My comps going to be used for my cable tv hookup and movies too! 8)
Old 2003-12-28, 01:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Daleon
Second Lieutenant

Klipsch Promedia Ultra's are pretty nice. The high end logi's, z680's i think, are very "loud" but not quite the best SQ.
Old 2003-12-29, 12:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

i've never seen 3.1 speakers so i didn't think of those.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2003-12-29, 12:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Squick
Major

Does DirectX9 even support 7.1 sound? I have a Pioneer 811S A/V reciever for my media room, and it supports 7.2. I spent months designing and building the perfect speakers, including bipolar off-axial center surround speakers for the #6 and #7 speaker... And you know what? Nothing fucking supports 7.2! The absolute most I have found is 6.1 on the LoTR DVD, but I do not even HAVE a rear center. So I am not sure if AAC supports 7.2, and if AAC does not, I highly doubt that any computer setup can support it for more then stupid demos.

5.1 is the most you will need for anything in the next five years, I have had my Cambridge Soundworks DTT2500, from before Cambridge was bought by Creative and turned to shit... It supports full encoded dolby digital 5.1 into the breakout box, so you do not even need to break the sound into it's channels before sending it to your speakers.

From my listening the only set that sounds better is the hella expensive high-end Klipse set.
Old 2003-12-29, 12:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Ait'al
Contributor
General

well im buying for stuff that will be around in the next year or so, so... 8) ill get klipsch or logitech then.

What about about webcams mics and headphones! I want the webcam for confrincing and taking pics. the mic for a mic! 8p(want one htat can pick me up and not reverb to much) and hte headphones for there lack of damage on my ears combined with high end sound qaulity or distinction. But all high end, and kinda nice looking. I cant find the site i wanted to compare to.... ill try to find it.

Last edited by Ait'al; 2003-12-29 at 12:59 AM.
Old 2003-12-29, 07:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Squick
Major

Originally Posted by Ait'al
well im buying for stuff that will be around in the next year or so, so... 8) ill get klipsch or logitech then.

What about about webcams mics and headphones! I want the webcam for confrincing and taking pics. the mic for a mic! 8p(want one htat can pick me up and not reverb to much) and hte headphones for there lack of damage on my ears combined with high end sound qaulity or distinction. But all high end, and kinda nice looking. I cant find the site i wanted to compare to.... ill try to find it.
For webcams, get anything USB2.0, make absolutely certain your PC and webcam are both USB2.0 (or firewire) because USB1.0 really can not handle the type of bandwidth that 30 FPS puts out. I have a USB1.1 webcam, and although it is supposed to be a "business" class camera, it sucks ass... For less then $100 you can get a USB2.0, which will be able to take full motion video. I would do a search of TechTV.com for webcams, they did a review of them several months back.

As for headphones, NOW you are talking my realm... First you need to consider budget... Headphones absolutely can give a much better bang for your buck over speakers... A $100 set of headphones will let you hear things you have never heard before in almost every song. http://www.goodcans.com/ is where to go ("Cans" is the brit word for headphones, its not pr0n )

Just speaking from personal preference, I dispise Grado headphones... They feel like lumps of lead on your ears. I don't care how good they sound, they feel like total shit and I wouldn't wear them even if they were free!

I currently have a set of Sony 600s, they are closed headphones, and feel like a soft pillow on your head. The bass is boosted unnaturally on these, but I do kinda like it. The sound isolation is also very nice, because even in the noiseist room these block it out great. I have also demoed a pair of Sennheiser HD600 headphones, these are gona set you back about $350, and they are "open" headphones, meaning you can hear the outside, and the outside can hear your music... But they are absolutely incredible, in all my years of listening to the very best speakers in the world, nothing compares to the sheer sonic perfection produced by the Sennheiser HD600s; it will literly give you goose bumps the first time you hear them. You will want a headphone amp for them, so if you are looking for the truely best of the best, you will want to set aside about $500 for headphones and a half decent amp. Sennheiser also makes a very nice pair of headphones designed to go with portables, like CD players and MP3 players... They are under $100, and are easily the best quality portable I have ever seen, but for home theater use, you want the huge airport-looking ones

If you have any other questions let me know.

Squick
Old 2003-12-29, 08:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Daleon
Second Lieutenant

The logitech quickcam 4000 Pro or quickcam cordless are two of the best cam's on the market. I think the 4000 Pro is better quality, but cordless is a nice ability for a cam also.

As for mic, I use the labtec mic basestation. For a $15 mic, everyone I've ever talked to on TS says its the best they've heard and much better than higher end heatset's I've used.

As for headphones, Sennheiser is considered a very good brand. The HD-280's are pretty quality and pricey. The Acoustic Research AW791 Traditional Closed Wireless Surround set also looks like good stuff. The old Force Feedback headphones like the RumbleFX were OK in SQ area and alot of fun for games with lots of exploisions if you like lots of Bass, so PS would be a kick with them.
Old 2003-12-29, 08:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Squick
Major

Quickcam 4000 Pro looks like it is a great camera... USB2.0 and 640x480 streaming video will be quite nice. And you can take 1.3 megapixel stills. (1280x1024)

I would stray from wireless headphones, because except for the >$200 sets, the quality is very poor compared to a similarly priced wired set.

I don't really know anything about mics... I think I have the same one Daleon has, it is some labtec boon mic, and it works fine.
Old 2003-12-29, 11:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
TheRagingGerbil
Contributor
Major

I have the Creative 5.1's and they rock. I love being able to hear what is sneaking up behind me.

I just installed a bluetooth adapter last night, so I'm going to try that with my BT earpiece and TS2. Run the planetside audio through my 5.1's and the Teamspeak through my earpiece. Should be pretty sweet if I can get it to work.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum