Old 2003-12-31, 10:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
culkid
Sergeant Major

question i hope u can answer

ok my current computer :
Pentium 4 2 GHZ
512 MB DDR Ram ( 2, 256 mb sticks)
Geforce 4 ti 4200 128 mb

now i have a ram and video card question, before the 512 mb, i had 256 and when i played battlefield 1942 it loaded real slow, when i got the 512 it loaded alot faster.. im about to get 512 ddr to make it 768. now will it even load faster with the 768? and im also getting a radeon 9800 pro, will i get decent FPS since i know this game is an FPS eater?
Old 2003-12-31, 11:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Squick
Major

Games will load faster with more ram, for sure... The one thing you want to check is does your hard drive light ever flash while playing a game? If it does, then that likely means you have ran out of ram and are dumping to hard drive.

I know Planetside can take up to 830 megs of RAM, windows can easily chew another 100+ megs, so the minimum I would recommend is 1 gig.
Old 2003-12-31, 12:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
I Hate Pants
General

errrrr WRONG! Why must I repeat myself? I have 768mb of DDR PC3200 and the game runs fine! I play PS on highest settings and have little to no lag whatsoever. And if your getting the 9800 pro, than PS will probably run even better for you. Take it form someone who plays with 768mb of ram. You will most likely be able to run the game on high settings after you upgrade. Save your self the extra 55 bucks.

Last edited by I Hate Pants; 2003-12-31 at 12:03 PM.
Old 2003-12-31, 12:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

The fact is it works better in one gig, and its not that much more expensive. You only have 2 ramslots in the thing, normaly there are atleast 3 if not 4.

What are the rest of you specs Pants i bet your running a 2.8 ghz or higher 800mhz P4 with a 875p mobo and atleast a rady 9600pro (or a FX 5900 or 5800)

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2003-12-31, 02:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Squick
Major

Originally Posted by I Hate Pants
errrrr WRONG! Why must I repeat myself? I have 768mb of DDR PC3200 and the game runs fine! I play PS on highest settings and have little to no lag whatsoever. And if your getting the 9800 pro, than PS will probably run even better for you. Take it form someone who plays with 768mb of ram. You will most likely be able to run the game on high settings after you upgrade. Save your self the extra 55 bucks.
I can show you a screenshot of task manager with Planetside taking up 839 megs of ram. I have a 256 meg video card. So unless your version of Planetside has different sized textures then mine does, you are paging.

After you play Planetside for a few hours, exit, go into Task Manager, and look at what the Commit Charge was, most likely it is in the high 900s.
Old 2004-01-01, 11:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
I Hate Pants
General

Originally Posted by Rbstr
The fact is it works better in one gig, and its not that much more expensive. You only have 2 ramslots in the thing, normaly there are atleast 3 if not 4.

What are the rest of you specs Pants i bet your running a 2.8 ghz or higher 800mhz P4 with a 875p mobo and atleast a rady 9600pro (or a FX 5900 or 5800)
My specs:

768mb of DDR ram PC3200
Intel Pentium4 2.6 GHz/ 800mhz
9600xt 128mb
ASUS P4P 800 MoBo
40GB HDD

Those are the basics. I get no lag pretty much. I sustain 75 fps when no in battles or just small battles, and 40 fps in big battles and zergs. I may get a gig of ram sometime. But as of right now its not necessary for me.
Old 2004-01-01, 09:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
XxXMaRiNeXxX
Staff Sergeant

I Hate pants, im gettin the SAME system as ou, but with a gig of ram and im not sure if its the same mobo...its some Asus...thanks, now im glad i bought it
Old 2004-01-02, 11:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

i have a p4p800 deluxe its a great alternite to an 875 board if you can't afford it

yeah your specs are going to produce good FPS you have a 9600 XT and a p4 800mhz fsb you also have what is probably the best 865 board i've seen

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum