Feedback on Spotting for Higby - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: has WMDs.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-01-10, 03:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
ringring
Contributor
General

Feedback on Spotting for Higby

As requested via tweet.

Personally I would remove it.

a) I never spot myself simply because I play left-handed with left on mouse and right on cursor keys. I have to rebind important keys near to the cursors for quick access and spotting comes fairly low down the list after TS, 'g', 'f', up, down and so on.
b) if there is ever a random in my tanks I often hear , enemy XXXXX spotted, but I never see what he's referring to.
c) if I ever do see a red dot on the map and investigate it there is nothing there.

In short, I can't use it in a practical sense and I don't find it useful when other people do.

Maybe some kind of radar may be needed, especially on amp to boost defence, but I'd hesitate to recommend something.
Old 2013-01-10, 03:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
ShadetheDruid
First Lieutenant

Re: Feedback on Spotting for Higby

I never use it either. The majority of my reasoning for that is I generally play flanky/stealthy/ambushy, and spotting just gives away your position so easily.

I rebound Q to change weapon fire mode instead.

Edit: I should clarify that i'm not against the spotting mechanic itself, just that it doesn't mesh with my usual playstyle (which is fine). Thus, indifference, really.

Last edited by ShadetheDruid; 2013-01-10 at 06:33 PM.
Old 2013-01-10, 03:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
musefrog
Corporal

I think spotting is very useful - I like receiving warnings from other infantry when on a quietish base defence and the enemy starts attacking again. It helps make up for the lack of enemy troop warnings in the voicemacros too.

Edit: plus, being a not very good player in one-on-one combat, I like at least being useful as a spotter (and getting bits of xp for it too).

Last edited by musefrog; 2013-01-10 at 03:34 PM.
Old 2013-01-10, 03:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Killjaeden
Private

You are handicapping yourself if you use the arrow keys - why is that the game's fault? Why not use the Numberpad? plenty of surrounding buttons there. In that position you also have your thumb on the arrow keys for more functions - right handed players have only one key for their thumb and that is the space bar.

If you see a red triangle over an enemy, that's because somebody spotted him. Countless times people only get aware of a sniper in a distant, but obvious spot if someone spots him and others see his triangle.

I do also love if "sneaky" enemies Q-spot all the time, so i can locate them

Last edited by Killjaeden; 2013-01-10 at 03:36 PM.
Old 2013-01-10, 03:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Timealude
Captain

I used q most the time as an infiltrator since its one of the things we can do best is get a very good visual without being seen. If you were to remove it..remove it for the other classes but by removing it from infiltrator your handicapping a class that in itself isnt extremely powerful to begin with.
Old 2013-01-10, 03:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Artesia
Private

A. make spotting only spot for players nearby, doritos shouldn't show up for someone 1km away

B. make it temporary. If you haven't been spotted in several minutes or you travel far enough, you should have your dorito removed

C. If you fire a weapon it should attempt to auto-spot.

D. spotting should show squad mates direction.

All of the above could be certed/increased by cert ie increased spotting time/range
Old 2013-01-10, 03:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Phantomdestiny
Second Lieutenant

we did speak about photographic spotting back in the day in the idea vault ; not sure if people remember
Old 2013-01-10, 03:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
RykerStruvian
Staff Sergeant

I think spotting should be a benefit of owning a particular type of base. Considering how interlink facilities gave you a radar bonus, it only makes some sense to create a new base which would grant that faction who owns it the ability to use spotting.
Old 2013-01-10, 03:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

I love the spotting system, though I'm not sure it's always working as attended. It's a passable substitue for having voice communications with everyone, and is an effective way to pass off targets that you can't handle yourself.
Old 2013-01-10, 03:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
SexyTRex
Private

I do feel like spotting should be a lot less for regular soldiers and greatly increased for infiltrators and scout equipment. While I use the IFF device a bit it's not terribly effective since the minimap is a jumbled mess.

For a friendly and casual outfit www.team-brh.com
Old 2013-01-10, 03:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

spotting is utterly useless as it stands. id just remove it and be done with the problem.

Retired NC CR5, Cerberus Company.
Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.
Old 2013-01-10, 04:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

If spotting was anything like in BF3, you would've loved it. From every standpoint, starting with functionality, ending with immersion.

Besides the real function of spotting is a way to prevent unlimited sniper spam. With snipers being able to cloak it is even more valid.

PS I am RIGHT handed and I use arrow keys and I have no problems spotting enemies at all.

Code:
Move Forward - Up
Move Backwards - Down
Strafe Left - Left
Strafe Right - Right
Use - Enter
Sprint - R Shift
Reload - End
Fire - LMB
Zoom - RMB
Switch Fire Mode - Middle MB
Knife - Side Mouse Button
TeamSpeak - Another Side Mouse Button
Duck - R Ctrl
Jump - Numpad 0
Spot - Numpad 1
Weapon Slot 2 (Primary Weapon) - Numpad 2
Grenade - Numpad 4
Ability - Numpad 5

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2013-01-10, 04:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
james
Sergeant Major

The current spotting system is fine. Not much more to be said than that
Old 2013-01-10, 04:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Vashyo
First Sergeant

I'd rather have the spotting work automatically, maybe each class has to keep their aim at enemy for 3 seconds. Expect infiltrator could do it in 1 sec, since that's kinda what he's good for.

Right now, it's just tedious use of extra button and I'm quite annoyed at people constantly spotting and yelling ENEMY SPOTTED ENEMY SPOTTED ENEMY SPOTTED ENEMY SPOTTED SPOTTED SPOTTED SPOTTED SPOTTED.
Old 2013-01-10, 04:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
KaskaMatej
Master Sergeant

Misc Info

I would like it that only Infiltrator can spot infantry, and that should be limited to squad only. That would help at Infiltrators to be more than just "snipers" and "hack a terms then change class to something useful" type of things.

It would also help with HE cannons because they can have other means to see infantry (NV and thermal optics), red doritos are just... Retarded...
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion