Ethics and netiquette - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Sigbot's deleting sites now?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-01-14, 05:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Figment
Lieutenant General

Ethics and netiquette

How do you, your outfit leader and your outfit deal with ethics and netiquette?

What standards do you uphold and what kind of interaction with other players (friendly and enemy) do you find acceptable and to what degree?

Any difference per game (PS1 vs PS2, but also with regards to other games)?

(PS: that includes all forms of chat and voice chats, but also to what degree exploiting is acceptable.)

Last edited by Figment; 2013-01-14 at 05:16 AM.
Old 2013-01-14, 05:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
LoliLoveFart
Contributor
First Sergeant

Re: Ethics and netiquette

Generally some trash talking is accepted but if it crosses into the realm of abuse it usually results in said person taking a break from the game for a while usually under their own steam, haven't been forced to do anything drastic yet.

In game VOIP is usually just used to herd the zerg or verbally tell people to do things. Worst I've heard used in mumble is calling someone a fucking cunt for spamming HE. Could be a cultural thing but most aussies are so desensitised to swearing so drawing the line at abuse is kind of tricky, unless its just constant swearing (although I've strung out an order to defend with nothing but defend and 17 F bombs) and derogotary remarks of any kind of course. Yet to encounter racism, im sure it will show up eventually and will be dealt with.

Old 2013-01-14, 07:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Rolfski
Major

We're team killing our own members for standing in front of windows or doing all kinds of nooby stuff. We lead by publicly insulting team members who are only there to serve as bitches for the K/D ratio of our glorious leader. We like to think this outfit needs to prepare for a land war against China. If you're not a Christian, homo or or have any color on your skin you're likely to be despised and we love to use the N-word a lot for anybody we don't like. Trash talking to other outfits and insulting them on YouTube is what we like best. Bigotry and generally behave like a dick is how we roll.

Oh wait, this is not my outfit
Old 2013-01-14, 07:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
ringring
Contributor
General

Fairly ill-defined.

Be respectful to outfit-mates
No tk'ing
No mass tk'ing or putting out a KOS
No cheating or exploiting

On a more personal level I always use to apologise in PS1 if I tk'd anyone. In ps2 I no longer do so because a) it's far easier, b) the killspam disappears to quick for me to clock the rediculous spelling usually adopted by folk of the internets
Old 2013-01-14, 08:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
RykerStruvian
Staff Sergeant

I really believe in being respectful and cooperative, as for my outfit members they are free to do as they please but they tend to follow what I do in that regard it seems. However, I will issue KOS as well as they if we encounter someone who has a problem with us even though we are initially friendly across the board towards everyone.

Towards our enemies, we tend to be very solemn and keep trash talking inside the outfit for the most part. If we feel the need to harass TR/VS, we will but it will essentially be simply about the game and nothing really personal. More or less, we don't let the game get to us too much. The only thing that does get to us are other outfits on our side that we have problems with...
Old 2013-01-14, 09:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Babyfark McGeez
Captain

- They have to be able to write atleast 40 racial slurs per minute (rspm)

- They have to be able to spawncamp and insult the other faction(s) simultaneously

- They must not write more then two coherent sentences in a row, and they have to include atleast one typo every three words

- They need to use 1337-speak whenever possible

- They need to keep us informed about new internet memes involving ponies and/or cats

- They need to do their best to appear as mentally retarded as possible while at the same time appearing as (physically) threatening as possible (the hardest task on this list)

- They need to follow obnoxious YouTube celebrities and comment on their videos

- They need to visit "MMORPG" Fansites and write hateful comments on every game

In short: Our Outfit welcomes everyone!!! (No **** or blacks)
Old 2013-01-14, 10:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
MaxDamage
Sergeant Major

No ****** and no ******, and don't **** with my ********* or I'll ***** your **** so far up your ******, you'll be ******** ****** for weeks; praying for ****** to save you.

Edit: feel free to fill in the blanks.

Last edited by MaxDamage; 2013-01-14 at 10:11 AM.
Old 2013-01-14, 10:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Fear The Amish
First Sergeant

Outfit mates are your brothers and sisters treat them as such

Allies are like your extended family treat them as such

Faction members are like Friends/acquaintances treat them as such

Enemy's are to be honored with Friendly trash talk but line is drawn when it becomes heated

If you have an issue with the first two groups you go through an Officer/CO

If you have an issue with the 3rd group you just ignore them

If you have an issue with the 4th group destroy them with lasers

basically i feel as an outfit and a well known one on the server your job is to be above the petty BS and be an example. Treat others with respect and they will respond in kind.
Old 2013-01-14, 10:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Dkamanus
Master Sergeant

As an outfit leader, the following netiquette:

- TK only if TK'ed upon. If the dude TKs again, TK his ass off.
- We TK sunderers only when in VERY badly positioned places. It has been almost a month since our last sunderer TK.
- The Harsher, the better the player becomes. We have some players that are dicks on purpose so we can weed out people won't can't take the internet feelings off the equation. Out of 224 registered members on the rooster, only 6 actively left the outfit.
- As a Harsh leader, I yell at the players when they fuck up badly. They learn from error and trial and end up becoming better in the process, while understanding in the long run why they should (or not) do what they did.
- If the member is doing something hes ordered NOT to do, he's talked to GO where I'm ordering him to go. If it's an older player and I see it, he's instantly TKed by me. As an older member, he isn't supposed to do things newer members do.
- If an outfit member is in a position where he isn't supposed to be, and is in the line of sight, he'll be fired upon to kill the enemy behind. He's not supposed to be on that position, more so if older members tell him to move from there several times.

It's quite harsh, but what does this bring upon:
- True camaradire (Yes, the dicks end up being the most funny and helpful members, making others stay)
- Good Leadership (They understand that I know what I'm doing, and don't question orders, seeing the good results in 90% of the times, reinforcing the confidence in me to lead them)
- They learn tactics and positioning (What to do, their function, why do this and not that)
- They can deal with pressure and stress (everyone vents in-game due to some situations, but we all don't have any hate towards anyone, specially in complicated in-game situations)

In the end, you get a better squad, with more competent players who actually know WHY they are doing what they are doing, not just as a reflex to harsh punishment. We break each others balls, and we end up being quite fond to one another. Thanks to that, altough we don't bring sheer numbers, we bring players that know how to play the game quite effectively and most know how to proceed in any place with the best options possible, so I can let them do their thing and I'll know they'll deliver.

Sometimes being a stupid and dick leader makes people stay. I laugh with them, I scream at them, with the intention of making them better and better all the time. Which they are becoming.

It's harsh but those who stay play the best Planetside we can provide.

Last edited by Dkamanus; 2013-01-14 at 10:41 AM.
Old 2013-01-14, 10:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

We use swearing and mutual offense as our comm. method. Anyone who speaks politely gets kicked from our outfit instantaneously without a permission to reapply.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2013-01-14, 10:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by MaxDamage View Post
No ****** and no ******, and don't **** with my ********* or I'll ***** your **** so far up your ******, you'll be ******** ****** for weeks; praying for ****** to save you.

Edit: feel free to fill in the blanks.
No not liking pie and no not liking ponies, and don't play with my toys or I'll send your love-bees so far up your dreamland, you'll be giving me sweets for weeks; praying for "save/load" game option to save you.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2013-01-14, 11:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

My outfit runs on the Transitive Handshake Principle - every outfit member can be traced to any other by a series of direct personal and/or professional relationships. I may not be able to strangle each and every one of them personally, but I can strangle someone who can.

As a result, we don't really have a need for standards or the discussions the that lead to them. I have to be the comms nazi every so often to keep the personal chatter out of firefights, but that's probably a universal issue.

Should we open up recruiting, I imagine we'll have to have some sort of standard.

edit: which would probably be, simply, "don't be a dick."

Last edited by maradine; 2013-01-14 at 11:44 AM.
Old 2013-01-14, 12:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

I come across as a hard ass in a lot of ways. But that is probably my ability to use the Voice of Command as opposed to what I actually say.

I try to run a relaxed outfit, we are organized, but nobody gets chewed out for not being 100% on the ball. At the same time, I foster a culture of camaraderie and mutual respect within the outfit.

While we are not one of those Multi Gaming Organizations that are so fucking popular these days nor are we collectively shunning other MMOs/multiplayer games, we do have a community mind set to play together even when not playing PS2 (which I admit we are doing much less of entirely).

That said, I run a zero tolerance policy for disrespect. Slurs of any kind are not tolerated. Jokes are fine, as long as everyone knows it is a joke.

Old 2013-01-14, 12:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Hamma
PSU Admin

We "stay frosty" and don't get involved in trash talking or epeen contests.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2013-01-14, 01:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

Our Emphasis is on having fun and creating a game environment that is mutually enjoyable for all.

*CODE OF CONDUCT*

As Devil Dogs, we share the nickname of the United States Marine Corps. We expect all members to uphold the honor that our name carries. Below is a list of requirements, expectations and some standard operating procedures that will facilitate our ability to function as a cohesive combat force.
  • Be civil and show respect to all players, whether they be friend or foe.
  • Any disagreements should be kept from public channels and resolved in a mature manner through private /tells. We understand that this is an intense game, and all players are human, but when an argument happens ... let it go.
  • Absolutely no intentional killing of anyone in the New Conglomerate. If you are killed (intentionally or not) by another NC player, DO NOT retaliate. Retaliation only perpetuates TK'ing and makes you and the 666th look bad. Other players observing may not have seen the events preceding and will ONLY see you killing a team mate. This effects the perception of the entire outfit so save the bullets for the Terrans and Vanu.
  • If you accidentally kill someone by running them over, shooting them, or catching them in an explosion etc... apologize if you can. This will alleviate many problems. If you find yourself causing friendly-fire incidents often, please be more careful. If you can't drive without running people over, you don't belong behind the wheel. If you can't use grenades or rockets without killing friendly troops, you need to learn how to use those weapons properly.
  • Joining a squad is not mandatory, but if you do, obey your squad leader's orders as well as orders you receive from outfit commanders. The Planetside experience is best when we are functioning as a coordinated, cohesive force. Following orders is one of the many challenges of being in a squad. Orders are not issued because we want to tell people what to do, they are given so that the overall objectives are achieved and so that we can succeed as an outfit, and ultimately, an empire. Accept the challenges of the role you play, and do your best to follow orders. If you cannot fulfill your orders or do not agree with them, send your squad leader a /tell. Do not be insubordinate in public. Always keep in mind that commanders put a lot of effort into monitoring "the big picture". Even tasks which may seem hopeless or unwinable to the individual do contribute to the greater good by drawing enemy assets off of another target.

Violations of the CoC will result in a warning. Repeated violations will result in further consequences such as suspension and banning.

Please report any violations to Devil Dog Commanders.

www.planetside-devildogs.com
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion