New Continents/Multiple Climates - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Have you driven an ANT... lately?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-01-16, 04:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Methonius
Master Sergeant

New Continents/Multiple Climates

I think with the new conts they should try to make them have multiple climates similar to indar. I do like amerish and esamir but I think they could be more interesting with different looking areas on different sides of the conts it helps out with pointing out locations as well. What do you guys think?
Old 2013-01-16, 04:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
StumpyTheOzzie
Second Lieutenant

Re: New Continents/Multiple Climates

I'd go the other way.

How many continents have a 500m change between hostile desert and lush vegetation like indar? (TR to VS territory)

The canyons to desert kind of makes sense (NC to TR territory)

I'd go for whole continents of similar climates. That way you can adjust your character (and vehicles) to suit. Get the white camo out for esamir and jungle camo for hossin for example.
Old 2013-01-16, 05:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
ShadetheDruid
First Lieutenant

I think we've got a good mix at the minute, and I like that variety.

Esamir is the all-one-thing continent. Some people say it's bland and boring, but it's my favourite. Amerish isn't really an all-one-thing continent, it's a good mix of grasslands (with very sparse woodlands) and mountains, and those blend really well together.

Indar.. I don't know, really. I don't hate it, but it's always seemed a bit.. abrupt with the transitions, like the three areas aren't really that well blended. That might just be down to it being their first continent, I don't know.

The grasslands area is also a little weird. I do wonder if the transition from grassland to desert/rocky canyons would look less weird if the grasslands were more like dry grasslands/savannah than what they are now.

Indar doesn't bother me at all, it just feels like there's room for improvement when it comes to the transitions between the regions.

Anyway. Like I said, I think a mix is good. Some continents of all one thing, some with a mix of terrain types that work well together. Not so much of the individual discreet sections like Indar, but a blend.

Last edited by ShadetheDruid; 2013-01-16 at 05:58 PM.
Old 2013-01-16, 06:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

I really hate Esmir(and about 3/4s of the hots on my server are there.)

Indar is my favorite but Ameris is a close second.

Its not about climate so much as it is about cover and interesting settings.
Old 2013-01-16, 06:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Palerion
Sergeant Major

I love Indar personally. It seems like it has the best textures, the most flow to it to be honest. I go to Amerish and something about the grass and such their just seems... Not necessarilly low quality... but it seems like it just doesn't look good. All the grass and vegetation and... green... just begins to seem overpowering. It's definitely my least favorite continent. I'm okay with esamir, but as people say, it does feel a bit bland.

Overall I think diversity is the most important thing to have. Notable aspects and areas on continents are very important; like the crater on Indar, the crown, the mesa. Big valleys and such that are extremely noticable. As long as they keep those in their content development, I think it will be great. I hope the place they're making with the tentacles has really, really big tentacles, like, towering over the land. Maybe a huge tentacle vine-tree thing that ships and such can fly in and out of fighting. That would be cool.

Last edited by Palerion; 2013-01-16 at 06:33 PM.
Old 2013-01-17, 08:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
VaderShake
First Lieutenant

WHen it comes to climate I would ultimately like to see seasons for each map. Let's say SOE caps out at 12 maps. After that intoduce a seasonal varient for each map.

See 40% of the snow covered Essamir melted away for a 3-4 month period exposing new paths and way into a base while Indar endures a rainy season cutting off certain roads with rivers, and Amirish gets darker clouds and snow on it's mountain tops and foggy periods limiting visability and then of course they revert back again ebbing and flowing every few months.

Just an idea for way down the road.

Last edited by VaderShake; 2013-01-17 at 08:31 AM.
Old 2013-01-17, 10:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
CraazyCanuck
First Sergeant

Weather affects would be fantasic. Not sure why they weren't added in initially but really? Static weather? Please change this.
Old 2013-01-17, 10:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Micro
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by VaderShake View Post
WHen it comes to climate I would ultimately like to see seasons for each map. Let's say SOE caps out at 12 maps. After that intoduce a seasonal varient for each map.

See 40% of the snow covered Essamir melted away for a 3-4 month period exposing new paths and way into a base while Indar endures a rainy season cutting off certain roads with rivers, and Amirish gets darker clouds and snow on it's mountain tops and foggy periods limiting visability and then of course they revert back again ebbing and flowing every few months.

Just an idea for way down the road.
+1 for that! I would love seasons and weather!
Old 2013-01-17, 10:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
typhaon
Sergeant Major

I don't mind a bit of diversity on the continents... but I've always felt like Indar feels like the Terrain_TEST continent.

I'm more concerned about the lack of creativity in the maps. It looks like we're getting more square... oh circle... continents. Why do these things have to be symmetrical blobs? I think SOE is totally missing the boat if they think somehow creating the maximum play space per continent is equal to the most fun play space per continent.

Last edited by typhaon; 2013-01-17 at 10:22 AM.
Old 2013-01-17, 10:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
VaderShake
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by CraazyCanuck View Post
Weather affects would be fantasic. Not sure why they weren't added in initially but really? Static weather? Please change this.
This is in the plan...http://www.polygon.com/gaming/2012/8...-free-seamless

If you are who your name leads me to believe you are you best behave yourself here.

Last edited by VaderShake; 2013-01-17 at 10:31 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion