Announcing the first "Community Design Meeting" with SOE Developers! Take your ideas - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Polish Suasages Unite!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-01-16, 09:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Nobel
Master Sergeant

Announcing the first "Community Design Meeting" with SOE Developers! Take your ideas

We are incredibly excited to announce a terrific opportunity for the entire Planetside 2 community, the start of Community Design Meetings.

Matt Higby had this to say "I see our role on the development team as curators of the game, not necessarily the wellspring of all ideas."

Organized in conjunction with Azure Twilight and SOE, the /r/planetside subreddit will be voting for the 5 best ideas curators to be present at different Community Design Meeting's, all streamed live on twitch.tv/azuretwilight.

So here is how this works, every time there is a C.D.M., a topic will be announced at least a week prior. Players will then put together their best proposals in audio, video, or text form. Players will then submit them to reddit using a predetermined tag. Redditors will upvote/downvote and discuss the ideas, the 5 posts with the most upvotes will have their authors be eligible to attend, then talk with the developers about their idea, getting real feedback along the way.

This first C.D.M., with Matt Higby and Tramell Issac will be the following:

Metagame - Community Design Meeting
Saturday - January 26th 2013 - 12 PM PST
twitch.tv/azuretwilight

Use the following prefix for this meetings ideas :
[Metagame Design Meeting Idea]
All Proposals must be in by Midnight PST 12/23.

Thanks and I cant wait to see what you all come up with! Lets change this game together!

The announcement video and first submission are up here :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=W-yOT5EgYvU
http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/c...ly_increasing/
Old 2013-01-16, 09:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
bpostal
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Announcing the first "Community Design Meeting" with SOE Developers! Take your id

Nicely done, thank you!

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
Old 2013-01-16, 09:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Mietz
First Sergeant

Re: Announcing the first "Community Design Meeting" with SOE Developers! Take your id

Why is this a reddit popularity contest?
Old 2013-01-16, 10:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
ShadoViper
Staff Sergeant

Don't really like the idea of using of reddit.

Last edited by ShadoViper; 2013-01-17 at 04:43 PM.
Old 2013-01-16, 10:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
DirtyBird
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Announcing the first "Reddit Community Design Meeting" with SOE Developers.

And proposals had to be nearly a month ago for the popularity vote? (12/23)

I wonder how relevant it will be if its before the big'ol 6mth plan is released by Smeds.
He might have to re write it!
Old 2013-01-16, 11:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Archonzero
Sergeant

I like the ideas present on the video. The Neutral hex concept is an interesting quick fix, I think some of the hexes shown in the video need to be broken up for this, as well some of the conquerable hexes need to be broken up. Mostly to prevent a single large territory that has a neutral hex walls to either side suddenly becoming a brutal fast track backdoor, break it up to 2 parts, that way defensive groups can have a bit of extra time to rally an recover
Old 2013-01-16, 11:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
StumpyTheOzzie
Second Lieutenant

Cautiously optimistic...

Popularity contests usually suck. Just look at politicians.
Old 2013-01-16, 11:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Im hopping on TS later today nobel, you gotta explain this stuff to me. :P
Old 2013-01-17, 12:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Sturmhardt
Contributor
Major

Cool stuff, let's see how it goes... I have a feeling that it will not change anything, but maybe I'm wrong. I mean they already have access to the forums and redditside, so they must already be aware of all the ideas floating around. But at least we can then listen to their excuses why so many good ideas get rejected

.sent via phone.
Old 2013-01-17, 01:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Nobel
Master Sergeant

We are utilizing reddit because it is the easiest and most effective (IE quantifiable) way of determining who the community wants to send to the design meeting.
Old 2013-01-17, 01:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

Would love to be there, but will be flying back from the Empire Showdown.

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Old 2013-01-17, 01:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Tooterfish
Contributor
First Sergeant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by ShadoViper View Post
Don't really like the idea use of reddit
Yea, way to exclude anyone not into reddit. Why couldn't we have had a community event here?

Read my game blog @ www.roffle.com

Last edited by Tooterfish; 2013-01-17 at 01:53 AM.
Old 2013-01-17, 02:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
DirtyBird
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

I couldn't watch more than a few minutes with that god awful sound fading in and out.
I'll need to check my system out and see what's causing it, I know it wouldn't have been uploaded like that.
Old 2013-01-17, 04:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
TheRageTrain
Private

Originally Posted by Nobel View Post
We are incredibly excited to announce a terrific opportunity for the entire Planetside 2 community, the start of Community Design Meetings.

Matt Higby had this to say "I see our role on the development team as curators of the game, not necessarily the wellspring of all ideas."

Organized in conjunction with Azure Twilight and SOE, the /r/planetside subreddit will be voting for the 5 best ideas curators to be present at different Community Design Meeting's, all streamed live on twitch.tv/azuretwilight.

So here is how this works, every time there is a C.D.M., a topic will be announced at least a week prior. Players will then put together their best proposals in audio, video, or text form. Players will then submit them to reddit using a predetermined tag. Redditors will upvote/downvote and discuss the ideas, the 5 posts with the most upvotes will have their authors be eligible to attend, then talk with the developers about their idea, getting real feedback along the way.

This first C.D.M., with Matt Higby and Tramell Issac will be the following:

Metagame - Community Design Meeting
Saturday - January 26th 2013 - 12 PM PST
twitch.tv/azuretwilight

Use the following prefix for this meetings ideas :
[Metagame Design Meeting Idea]
All Proposals must be in by Midnight PST 12/23.

Thanks and I cant wait to see what you all come up with! Lets change this game together!

The announcement video and first submission are up here :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=W-yOT5EgYvU
http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/c...ly_increasing/
Sounds like ok idea.. but this brings up my question, what\s SOE\s own meta game idea.. they have been working on one the past 2months.

Or have they?
Old 2013-01-17, 06:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Mietz
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Nobel View Post
We are utilizing reddit because it is the easiest and most effective (IE quantifiable) way of determining who the community wants to send to the design meeting.
Issue #1:
Why you would the community to decide who they want to send to the design meeting?

This introduces the problem of popularity.
If people like TotalBiscuit or Buzzcut take part, you can bet your pants, no matter what they suggest, they will go, even if their suggestions are totally retarded.

How about, in the case of a design meeting, we employ a meritocracy instead of a popularity contest?

I don't want policy and design to be dictated by some celebs or [GOON].

Issue #2:
Reddit is the worst platform as it is disconnected from your corporate website and the game.
Why not do this on the official website? Forum?
Y'know, where people actually playing the game can vote.

I don't want randoms voting on PS2, and it locks out legitimate players that don't use reddit. It also establishes a somewhat questionable structure where the developers consistently ignore the website (thats already happening) where the customer info should be.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion