AGN: ReachCast Episode 32 CQ - "Is Lumifiber a Tactical Disadvantage when Dogfighting?" - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Please don't fan my buttocks.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-04-30, 09:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Deringer
ReachCast Show

ReachCast Episode 32 CQ - "Is Lumifiber a Tactical Disadvantage when Dogfighting?"

The ReachCast Community question for this week is...

Do you think Lumifiber is a tactical disadvantage when dogfighting?

as always if you would like to call or email in your answer below is that info

Email us at [email protected]
Call us at (415)787-3224
Old 2013-04-30, 09:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
MBVS
Private

Re: ReachCast Episode 32 CQ - "Is Lumifiber a Tactical Disadvantage when Dogfighting?

Obviously. But a significant disadvantage? Probably not. Will I still buy it for my Scythe? Hell yes. Not everything you do has to be tactical, some things you do because they're awesome.
Old 2013-04-30, 09:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Hamma
PSU Admin

Re: ReachCast Episode 32 CQ - "Is Lumifiber a Tactical Disadvantage when Dogfighting?

I guess it depends on if it's night or day to be honest. Daytime it doesn't seem to make a whole lot of a difference, but at night it definitely makes you easier to spot. I like that it's toggle-able.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2013-05-01, 01:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Falcon_br
Captain

I think it is not.
Also there are some tactical uses of it I should keep on secret because my outfit took some time to develop them.
First of all, it is nice to have it on the galaxy, you turn it on in the warp gate and in less them one minute your galaxy is full of pubs, nice camo and decal had similar effect, but lumifiber are far more effective for that now!
Also in the night sometimes I had to set the waypoint over my galaxy so all squad member could find it, now just turn the lumifiber on and everyone get in faster! Sometimes it get full of pubs and you must lock it.
Before AA got out of control, my outfit members used to fly Mosquitos on a standard wing. I was normally Razgriz two, Razgriz one had full stealth upgrade, he drew the enemy anti air fire in high speed, so Razgriz two and three could rocket pod them to oblivion, if we had lumifiber that time, Razgriz one would be using it, to make sure the AA would target him, losing precious lock on time on a stealth mosquito while the others killed everyone. Now lock on are not the main issue, so he is using composite armor.
We are asking for a scout radar for the galaxy since the beta, we would call him the AWACS! With it and compoused armor and lumifiber, it would be an awesome assert to air operations!
But I really fail to see if there is any advantage on lumifiber if what you want is not to call attention into yourself, like most lone wolf ESF pilots. It is like using the circuit camo, it is good to see and to show with pride, but in the end, it is a tactical disadvantage to use it.
Also, lumifiber plus circuit camo looks very good!

In planetside since the close beta of the first game!
Outfit Brasileira de Planetside 2
Old 2013-05-01, 02:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Brusi
Contributor
Major

It's awesome, I often use heat or IR optics on my tertiary Liberator gun as it helps my gunners to acquire their targets faster in a dogfight.

ESF's using this is like someone else spending certs, so that i don't have to!

All ESF's should have Lumifibre!

EDIT: Except mine, of course...

”You can have hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players in these massive cluster-fuck battles

Matt Higby on the scope of Planetside 2

Last edited by Brusi; 2013-05-01 at 02:37 AM.
Old 2013-05-01, 04:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Deringer
ReachCast Show

Originally Posted by Falcon_br View Post
I think it is not.

...but in the end, it is a tactical disadvantage to use it.
I re-read your post twice and noticed that you contradicted yourself. I'll allow you to clarify or did you just flip flop like a good politician? ;D
Old 2013-05-01, 04:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
SolLeks
Master Sergeant

turning it off randomly during a dogfight may mess with the enemy, I plan to try this out as soon as I bind it to something other than L.
Old 2013-05-01, 05:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Shogun
Contributor
General

i vote for free lumifibers for every vehicle! and you have to buy the option to turn it off.
hell, even put it on soldiers!
i like to be able to tell if it´s a rock, an enemy or a friend in front of my gun.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2013-05-01, 06:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Falcon_br
Captain

Originally Posted by SolLeks View Post
turning it off randomly during a dogfight may mess with the enemy, I plan to try this out as soon as I bind it to something other than L.
Looks nice, you use it on a dark camo, during the night, make a fast turn behind a mountain and turn it off.
The chaser will be looking for a Lumifiber ESF and won´t find it!
Turning it of without breaking line of sight, won´t be that effective.

Originally Posted by Deringer View Post
I re-read your post twice and noticed that you contradicted yourself. I'll allow you to clarify or did you just flip flop like a good politician? ;D
Ok, let me clarify it.
If you use it with the intent of getting attention (from the enemy or friendly) it is good.
If you don´t want to get attention, it is bad.

In planetside since the close beta of the first game!
Outfit Brasileira de Planetside 2

Last edited by Falcon_br; 2013-05-01 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Another answer.
Old 2013-05-01, 07:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
timwamail
Private

Don't care. I look fantastic. Bring it on.
Old 2013-05-01, 08:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Brusi
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by timwamail View Post
Don't care. I look fantastic. Bring it on.
Spoken like a true Vanu.

”You can have hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players in these massive cluster-fuck battles

Matt Higby on the scope of Planetside 2
Old 2013-05-01, 09:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
camycamera
Major

can someone explain the point of having the lumifiber? is it simply for cosmetic looks?
Old 2013-05-01, 10:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
MBVS
Private

Originally Posted by camycamera View Post
can someone explain the point of having the lumifiber? is it simply for cosmetic looks?
Yes. Just for looks. There are some people who say they plan to use it tactically (diversion, flak magnet, etc) but it's intended purpose is purely cosmetic. PS2 offers a variety of cosmetic items for those of us who want to look cool or just show SOE some love for making a game we enjoy. The hubcaps I have on my Sunderer are an example of this.
Old 2013-05-01, 10:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

I was so in love with Lumifiber when I saw the preview...

Then I realized I'd have to trade in my Viper Wings for it....

F that
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none
Old 2013-05-02, 04:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
MBVS
Private

Originally Posted by Lonehunter View Post
I was so in love with Lumifiber when I saw the preview...

Then I realized I'd have to trade in my Viper Wings for it....

F that
Eventually you won't have to. Multiple cosmetic slots is something SOE is working on. It isn't high priority but in the future you will probably be able to have your fins and lumifiber.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion