Where would you suggest a new player put his first 5000 certs? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Hey no fair my mousepad is broken!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions

Old 2013-01-26, 08:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Neutral Calypso
Sergeant Major

Where would you suggest a new player put his first 5000 certs?

Seriously though, what would you reccomend for someone totally new to the game? I want to see different peoples' opinions on what certs are important.
Old 2013-01-26, 11:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Where would you suggest a new player put his first 5000 certs?

Originally Posted by Neutral Calypso View Post
Seriously though, what would you reccomend for someone totally new to the game? I want to see different peoples' opinions on what certs are important.
Well first of are you buying weapons with smed buck or with certs? The entire answer is predicated on that.
Old 2013-01-26, 11:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Neutral Calypso
Sergeant Major

I was thinking of allowing the poster to decide whether this hypothetical new player was rich or poor. But since you asked, let's assume he is buying his weapons with certs.
Old 2013-01-27, 07:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
ShadetheDruid
First Lieutenant

Well, it would entirely depend on what this hypothetical person was interested in playing (class, vehicle, weapon-wise etc). Though there's a lot of stuff you can get pretty cheap (for like 30/10 certs, or even 1 cert).

For a new player, i'd recommend they try out stuff to get a feel and decide what they like to play. But if they've already got 5000 certs, they've likely done more than enough of that.

But if you're looking for a more general answer, i'd say the priority would be:

Weapons: If they like combat most of all, they'll need to get a weapon they like to use (or cert out the default, if they're happy with that). Sights/scopes would be the priority, i'd think. But mostly they need to get a weapon that fits their playstyle.

Support: If they like support roles, the priority would definitely be their support tools. You can also throw in LA jetpacks, because certing out those is damn useful.

Vehicles: Prioritise weapons that they'd want for vehicles, then other important things would be like flares for aircraft. 5000 is a lot of certs, so I would recommend getting a few vehicle weapon and general vehicle upgrades (like chassis, armour etc) if they're going to do a lot of vehicle play. They can afford it, after all, and certing out a vehicle makes a massive difference.
Old 2013-01-27, 10:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

Ya it still totally depends on what you like.

For me if i was starting over with 5000 certs.

LA
CQC Carbine(1x scope, IRV scope advanced laser, suppressor)
2 C4
JJ3
Adrenaline
Extra magazine
High capacity Shotgun(IRV scope, 4x scope, slugs, extended magazine.)

I would up grade my starter gun for HA and medic.

1 would buy all the cheap up grades for medic engineer and HA(including the HA shield up to at least 3)

I would get AMS for a Sunderer.

I would get the first handling mod for the Flash.

Im not sure what comes out to but its how I personally would start.
But if you dont play the way I do you might want something completely different.
Old 2013-01-27, 03:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
BIGGByran
Staff Sergeant

ShadetheDruid explained it the best. Not everyone plays this game the same and not everyone like to play certain classes. Some like assault roles (LA HA), some like sniper roles, some like support roles (Eng, Med), some like Armor, and some like to be annoying (air) lol.

Assault/Sniper roles - Priority is weapons then armor. Get the weapon u like and get attachments.

Support - Your tools are priority then weapon or armor.

Tanks - Generally the stock gun is pretty good, so I think increase in survivability is priority. Then secondary gun.

Aircraft - Guns are priority, then maneuverability, then armor

I don't play air as I just use it to get to places, so I really can't say much there. I am getting fairly decent at flying and air combat as I fly more and may cert into my reaver as I get better.

With 5000 certs, you don't really have to prioritize, because u can generally get everything u need.

Last edited by BIGGByran; 2013-01-27 at 03:46 PM.
Old 2013-01-27, 05:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Neutral Calypso
Sergeant Major

I begin to wonder what I was thinking by saying 5000 certs... maybe I should have said 1000 certs. What was going through my mind was all those 1000 cert weapons (that you can also buy with SC).

But anyway, I just find it fascinating that no one has developed much in the way of "starter builds" like has happened in other MMO games with such things as "talent points" and so forth and so on. Everyone seems to be saying "roll with what you like."

Faaaaascinating.
Old 2013-01-27, 06:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
ShadetheDruid
First Lieutenant

Probably because people in RPGs (MMOs or otherwise) tend to get caught up in things like powerbuilds. It's part of the "fabric" of the community for those kinds of games. People will just sit for hours trying to come up with combos of stuff that makes a really powerful character. I'm not really into that kind of thing myself, so i'd still use the whole "play what you want to play" concept for that too.

FPSs also rely a lot more on player skill (as opposed to character skill), so maybe that's a factor.

You could probably still find recommended "builds" for PS2 though, like stuff that works well together (an example would be LA + drifter jets + C4).
Old 2013-01-27, 10:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

Why is it facinating that there are no generic starter builds?

There are 5 different classes there is aircraft and there are tanks - all are viable choices and have different play styles.

Now if you asked for a specific class or vehicles then there would be basic plan. On the official class forum its common to see threads and answrers about how to spend your first points for a specific class.

Also if you had simply said "How can I spend 1000 certs to whore points as fast as possible?" Then you might get specific answers.

Last edited by Ghoest9; 2013-01-27 at 10:42 PM.
Old 2013-01-30, 11:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Stanis
Master Sergeant

5000 certs is what .. about BR35?
That's three days of solid gameplay at least for the average player if not much more.

Anyhow, if you're spending certs on weapons, then my advice is more simple.

Pick the class you play the most.
Pick the classes you enjoy.
Pick the vehicles you enjoy.

Get a decent scope for each in the role you play.
(I get in close with my LA. So don't really need a 4x scope)

Spend a bit on armor upgrades for those classes.
Pick your favourite class.
Trial the weapons for it - find the one you like.
Buy that weapon. Upgrade it with Scope, Foreward Grip or Laser Scope etc.

Pick favourite vehicle.
Trial weapons.
Upgrade it.
Don't buy any individual cert with more than 200 points.

By the time you've got 5000 certs you should have a fairly solid clue what to do with them.
Old 2013-01-30, 01:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
SeraphC
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Stanis View Post
5000 certs is what .. about BR35?
That's three days of solid gameplay at least for the average player if not much more.
33 or 34

Took me 8 days (as in 192hours) without any experience bonuses, going from beyond clueless to being a relatively good player.
Experience per Minute: 84.55

I don't know how much you can stack. I think it's around 90% exp bonus. That would make 5000 certs at least 4 days work, also keeping in mind that you have less time to learn the game.
Old 2013-01-30, 10:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
OCNSethy
Major

There are class starter suggestions here..

http://wiki.planetside-universe.com/ps/Light_Assault

Its a bit dated but it gives you an idea on how to spend your certs.

There are suggestions for each class.

Last edited by OCNSethy; 2013-01-30 at 10:37 PM.
Old 2013-02-04, 10:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
DrTool
Private

Imho it all depends on your perception of the game actually. Do you accept that PS2 is a multi-class game or do you intend to play it like other FPS and become purely specialized? Are you mainly interested in your personal stats or is your intention to be a constant good asset to a team?

If you accept the multi-class design and combine it with the teamplayer asset thought you need to approach investment of certs totally different than in other cases. So this is not even a hypothecical question as you need to state first of all what your general play style is.
Old 2013-02-05, 08:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Stellarthief
Corporal

Originally Posted by DrTool View Post
Imho it all depends on your perception of the game actually. Do you accept that PS2 is a multi-class game or do you intend to play it like other FPS and become purely specialized? Are you mainly interested in your personal stats or is your intention to be a constant good asset to a team?

If you accept the multi-class design and combine it with the teamplayer asset thought you need to approach investment of certs totally different than in other cases. So this is not even a hypothecical question as you need to state first of all what your general play style is.
Agree. Am BR 20 myself and have certs in all vehicles I use, fully upgraded weapons I use for each class and upgraded the class specific abilities to level 3 also on each class.

Means I am missing things like mines, C4. But I can play any class I feel like. I don't need to restrict myself.
Old 2013-02-05, 09:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Get the Annhilator and farm everything you can lock on with it.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions