Fantasy Implants - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: How can Hamma sleep at night?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Would you like Fantasy Implants?
Yes 3 6.25%
No 36 75.00%
Maybe 9 18.75%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-08-29, 02:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Sirisian
Colonel

Fantasy Implants

There was an old implants thread here which asked about what new implants people wanted.

However, NewSith mentioned how telekinesis was unrealistic. Not sure if he meant in the real world or in the Planetside world. However, I was thinking and we have magical implants to explain away such ideas.

So this brings up the idea of fantasy. Normally it's a separate concept from science fiction, but the two sometimes overlap like in Star Wars. How would you guys feel about fantasy implants that directly use the stamina bar like a mana/energy bar. I don't think this has been utilized much in an FPS game.

Some ideas off the top of my head would be like a directed EMP implant that would cost say 70 stamina to knock out a target for 5 seconds or disable deployables.

Relating to the telekinesis you could have the ability to grab tank shells out of the air and redirect them toward enemies for a large stamina cost. Imagine someone launching a decimator at a friendly max and you grabbed it and threw it at an enemy or simply protected yourself from a one-hit tank shell.

Also if nanites inhabit the world they could be controlled via an implant to do things as an explanation. Manifesting a deployable wall that comes out of the ground for a few seconds for instance.

Another one would be a medic class implant for area of healing using the stamina bar rather than the normal methods of healing. This is similar to the regeneration implant but for others that is faster and drains more stamina.

Note, I'm not suggesting things like a fireball implant with an upgraded skill-tree. Not a fan of weapon implants. Would be interesting to see an implant that forced a person to holster their weapons to use though.

Also I know I'm not one for shying away from controversial topics so if you feel that this idea is too RPG related for an FPS just say so or say what kinds of things you would hate to see.

Any other ideas?
Old 2011-08-29, 02:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Brigadier General

Misc Info
Re: Fantasy Implants

Fantasy implant are all right, but I'm more of a natural game type of guy.
Old 2011-08-29, 02:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Vancha
Colonel

I think they could probably do this if they said it was nanite manipulation or something, but I'm wary of adding fantasy to Planetside. You can relate to Planetside as a war despite it being sci-fi...there is a certain realism to it, in how it plays. A little fantasy would probably be fine, but I could see too much breaking it's "feel", if that makes sense.
Old 2011-08-29, 02:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
SavageB
First Sergeant

I said no, ths telekenisis stuff is just rubbish, this isnt DCUO or Xmen.
Old 2011-08-29, 02:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Bags
Lieutenant General

Do I get to cast fireballs?
Old 2011-08-29, 02:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Nephilimuk
Master Sergeant

great idea it would be interesting to see how it could be implimented. Sorry voted no though although as mentioned interesting concept.

Out of interest you are aware that a wizards staff has a nob on both ends.....
Old 2011-08-29, 04:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Graywolves
General

I think force lightning would be very cool........But I'll get that in a different MMO.

I can't really think of any Fantasy implants and how they would work without feeling out of place.

The EMP blast could probably work. Maybe something where you can pull/push people/corpses. Or a wall of nanites that would work similar to Pshield.
Old 2011-08-29, 05:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
MasterChief096
Sergeant Major

Why don't we just make it so wizard is a class and has a huge mana bar and tons of spells to use?
Old 2011-08-29, 05:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by MasterChief096 View Post
Why don't we just make it so wizard is a class and has a huge mana bar and tons of spells to use?
That's not a bad idea at all, PS 2 could certainly use some inspiration from non-FPS games. I don't think that that's really what Sirisian was purposing in this thread though.

You should flesh out your idea a bit and create a separate thread though.
Old 2011-08-29, 05:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Screw your Jackhammer, I CAST MUTHAFUCKIN' LIGHTNING BOLT!

Old 2011-08-29, 06:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by MasterChief096 View Post
Actually that's not a bad idea. A class with 200 stamina you mean? I guess it depends on how implants work. If you can only have 3 then certain ones might take say 50 stamina per use so a class with 200 or more stamina would then see those implants being more useful than another class.

I'm not sure that would be a good use of a class though, but it might be interesting.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-08-29, 07:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

What is a "fantasy" implant and what is a non-fantasy implant?
Old 2011-08-29, 07:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
I was thinking more along the lines of spending X stamina for Y effect. I assume people didn't like the examples I gave and want to stick with the original Planetside implants of effect draining 1 over time. I'm fine with that since it was the original system.

I am kind of confused since people haven't really discussed much yet. I was hoping for more imagination from the community regarding manually activated implants.

Trying to think of all the possible gameplay styles and what kind of implants would be useful for them or ones that could help with teamwork. Trying to think of class agnostic ones really.
Old 2011-08-29, 08:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
My interpretation was, an implant that cast magic missile or fireball... versus Darklight.

Though honestly my initial reaction was much the same as 321... I very-first thought, big ol' fake titties.
Old 2011-08-30, 12:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Graywolves
General

I want to cast a spell.......

I CAST FLARE!
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion