PSU: what time is it?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2004-01-05, 11:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Laeritides
Staff Sergeant

Ram is on the way!!!!

Ordered another 512mb for my PC today. Hope it will clear up my bad FPS (.5-10) in larger battles and my general studdering. What do you guys think, will this fix the problem? The new video card has not helped my FPS or studdering at all.

Specs

P4 1.4 mhz (going to OC to 1.6) anyone selling a 2.0 cheap
512mb PC600 (another 512mb on the way)
9600xt 128 mb (brand new)
20 gb 7200rpm
Old 2004-01-05, 11:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Biohazzard56
Contributor
Major General

Your RAM is bottlenecking your system try getting a faster type of ram, at least PC2100. Your processor's FSB speed is probably bottlenecking a bit too, after you overclock it should be fine.
Old 2004-01-05, 12:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Laeritides
Staff Sergeant

I have to have the rambus ram. I already have PC 600 and can not afford 1 gig of PC 800 right now. Unless I am wrong and I can use the other ram. That would be nice!

Do you think I will need anything more than the standard heatsink and fan on my processor after I OC it. I have ran it at 1.6 before just not for very long times.
Old 2004-01-05, 01:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
I Hate Pants
General

Ewwwww! 20GB HDD
Old 2004-01-05, 02:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Laeritides
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by I Hate Pants
Ewwwww! 20GB HDD
?
Old 2004-01-05, 03:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

dude size does not matter, the best Drive (that i will own two of sometime in the near futeure) is the 27.3 gb Wester Digital Raptor 10,000 rpm SATA drive, it pwns the others.

You may proably can do the 1.4 to 1.6 without any extra cooling its not that hot to beging with anyway.

Bio shame on you forgetting about rambus(not that we want to remember it)!

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-01-05, 03:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Laeritides
Staff Sergeant

my MB can hold upto a 2.0. do you think it would be worth doing that in the future or is it time for a new system?
Old 2004-01-05, 04:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Spee
Colonel

Originally Posted by Laeritides
P4 1.4 mhz

WOAH!!!11
Old 2004-01-05, 05:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

i would grab a new system next year, after PCI-Ex, DDR-2, and a whole host of things pop up Intels lead these things but it will fore AMD to do it to if you want a 64 (they will have cheap 64's by then). Right now is not the best time to make a system if you can wait a bit. (i said make because its better that way)

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-01-06, 12:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Ait'al
Contributor
General

Bio shame on you forgetting about rambus(not that we want to remember it)!
I want to remember it
Old 2004-01-06, 01:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Laeritides
Staff Sergeant

I built this system, it was great at one time Looks like I just need to sit tight for a while and see what else is going to be comming out.

Hope this ram helps out. Should be in on the 8th. I can not wait!!!!!
Old 2004-01-06, 03:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Yeah that a good idea Laer. the ram should help a decent amount, PS is a though game on systems that aren't Top of the line.

Next year some interesting things are goign to be happening, i recomend to hold off buying a PC untill fall 04 becasue of the huge changes.

Old 2004-01-06, 05:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Ait'al
Contributor
General

YOu do realize the ram is only going ot be up to 12 gigs at first Rbstr, but it will go up later. And youll be buying i thought from 2 gig chips right away so you have to be able to afford the ful ram which makes me think it nots going to jump to its maximum in hte gaming world till a bit after that. 8)
Old 2004-01-06, 06:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

We're not going to see 12 gigs in home computers anytime soon, i doubt we'll see much 2gb gaming systems till Summer, but 4 sticks take some peformance hits, About the time of windows longhorn i would expect 512 to become the minumum a gig as norm and 2 gigs standard gaming, 4 the 133t system, becsua to get het big amounts of ram you need either biger chips or more Slots, and more than 4 slots is hard to fint in a computer

Old 2004-01-06, 06:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
undetected
Corporal

Are computers that run ps really that expensive... i mean as you all know from my posts that i have a peice of shit computer and am interested in either upgrading or building a cheap one... how would i go about doing this? and how would i make it usable for school too? are there any sites that give me the 411 on computer building and cheapist places to buy them? thx
-kidwhowantstojustplayplanetsidewithnoproblemsatall
(u mean is there a person in the worls who never has problems with this game?)
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum