Tank balance thread (because magrider) - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Making you lose your day job since 2003
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Are any tanks underpowered?
None, Tanks seem pretty faily balanced with tradeoffs 31 72.09%
The Vanguard seems weak to me 1 2.33%
The Prowler is most underpowered, imo 6 13.95%
The Magrider is going to die 8/10 times 5 11.63%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-07-12, 06:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #61
ParisTeta
Sergeant

Re: Tank balance thread (because magrider)

Moveable turret is a more stable gunning platform, also so higher gunpoint helps, shooting over smaller rocks. Yeah Mag is agile? And? The more Mag you have in an area, the more space is needed or they get in the way of each other. So i can strafe sideway and look another direction...so can every other tank, the question is, is the strafe speed as fast as driving just forward? [Sidenote: IF there will be a cert that the main gun can be used by gunner, MAG is at an disadvantge again, low fixed gunpoint].

It`s a tank destroyer and not a tank, it`s primary function is very very likely weak. 5 Mag vs 5 Scyth, the later will proably more effective.
Old 2012-07-12, 06:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #62
TheApoc
Corporal

i wouldnt count out the strafe, one missed shot means a lot, esp sniping.. If you strafe to the back side & shoot in a van in the ass its a big hit even if the mag gets hit in the nose..
Old 2012-07-12, 06:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #63
Klockan
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Kran De Loy View Post
Just because my mag just got hit the arse does not make it impossible to about-face and throw the mag into reverse. All the while keeping the forward (now backward) momentum from a few seconds ago.
For all we know a tank could get killed by one shot to the rear. Then you couldn't do that.

Originally Posted by Kran De Loy View Post
I doubt they'd allow for reverse and strafe moments on the mag to reach top speed but I would be surprised if they refused to let it go any higher than 75%. (I would prefer 100, but would settle for 90%).

I guess the part about not being able to look around would be valid, but I think it's gonna be one of those wait and see things. I mean if they have a fixed canon on the thing they sure as hell better not have made it so that I can't turn around with it as quick or quicker than the turret on either of the other MBT's.

Also a guess at another reason why they changed the Laser cannon into a Plasma Ball is the lowered TTK.
Turning speeds and strafing speeds is a balance concern, the point is that these can be set so that a magrider is equal tp the standard tanks. If the magrider turns as fast as the turret and got full strafe speed then it is imbalanced. If the magrider turns with the same speed as the normal tank bodies and got low acceleration due to hovering being a worse propellant then it would be a worse tank. You wouldn't be able to dodge shots since you can't change direction on the fly and you would have serious issues at close quarters since you turn slowly and with slow acceleration you can't react to threats. That also means that if you try to strafe around a tank he could just turn himself just as fast as you turn around making you always hit the front.

There is a middle ground where strafe tanks and turret tanks are equal without needing to make them have different armor values or different damage values, just by altering the inherent advantages. Ie not making strafes go at 100% speed and it having low acceleration, or making the turret turn way faster than the tank.

Last edited by Klockan; 2012-07-12 at 06:37 AM.
Old 2012-07-12, 09:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #64
Doorbo
Private

Originally Posted by Doorbo View Post
As for the magrider, i believe it will be OP. For the secondary weapon as seen in the PCG issue, you can equip it with the rail beam cannon, the same gun that was on the turret for the PS1 mag. That will give it an AV turret that can swivel, controlled by the secondary gunner, while still having mobility that the driver can focus on. Just for old times sake we can put an AI gun for the driver, and now you have a magrider true to PS1.
My opinion stated in another thread
Old 2012-07-13, 03:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #65
CutterJohn
Colonel

Originally Posted by Doorbo View Post
As for the magrider, i believe it will be OP. For the secondary weapon as seen in the PCG issue, you can equip it with the rail beam cannon, the same gun that was on the turret for the PS1 mag. That will give it an AV turret that can swivel, controlled by the secondary gunner, while still having mobility that the driver can focus on. Just for old times sake we can put an AI gun for the driver, and now you have a magrider true to PS1.

All tanks will have a choice of powerful AV, AA, or AI weapons for the turret up top. It won't be some special ability of the Magrider.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion