Likes, dislikes, and the middle ground from the GDC video's - Page 8 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Planetside is now known as eMaSide
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-03-08, 12:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #106
Rivenshield
Contributor
Major

Re: Likes, dislikes, and the middle ground from the GDC video's

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
AOE healing GRENADES may apparently be available to medics.
/puke

I'll say it again: Magic respawn out of thin air on SL's, magic infinite ammo, magic AOE 'healing buffs' a la WoW even if you call them grenades... anything that smacks of magic must be put to a swift death.

Oh noes! my squad is caught in a stairwell and someone is unloading a Thumper at them! Not to phear -- I will counter by throwing HEALING grenades at my squad! It's Dueling Grenades Time! Again, for the fiftieth time this afternoon! Wheeee!

/pukes again

Last edited by Rivenshield; 2012-03-08 at 12:12 PM.
Old 2012-03-08, 12:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #107
Hmr85
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
AOE healing GRENADES may apparently be available to medics.
I'm really not a fan of AOE grenades. It just seems so tacky to me regardless of how you spin it.

Dislikes:
1.) Copied from another poster: I shoot every day and seeing this just gave me a quirk. ----"Rearming the gauss after every reload, even when the clip wasn't exhausted. Also, no chambered bullets. (Both things are present in BF3, and i think it's a nice touch... Ok, i said BF3, lynch me)"

2.) **Kill cam: for the love of god please get rid of it.**
3.) Light assault dropping ammo boxes. It just seems tacky to me. Where did he pull this big ass ammo box from? If your going to go this route. Please just limit it to Engineers. The way you did deployables in PS1 was perfect.
4.) Driver having to gun the Vanguard at the same time.
5.) The shields. They are way to flashy and to me just call out. Hey shoot here I am almost dead. Why can't we just stick with Armor like off of PS1?
6.) Light assault. I noticed there was a 10 second CD on the jump jets. It needs to be a lot longer IMO.
7.) Entering Vehicles. I feel like there should be some sort of a delay. Another poster above mentioned a warm up period. I agree with this if we cannot get vehicle entering animations.
8.) No free Inventory.
9.) Squad Spawn: I'm not a fan of it.

Outside of what I posted: I am pretty happy with everything else.

Old 2012-03-08, 12:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #108
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Hmr85 View Post
I'm really not a fan of AOE grenades. It just seems so tacky to me regardless of how you spin it.
I don't quite mind it. It reduces the need for 100 medics to be on the field and reduces downtime between battles letting people play other classes that they want rather then having to play medic to heal themselves first and others second because it's required.

I'm sure it will be changed when beta gets here though.
Old 2012-03-08, 01:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #109
wildcat140679
Sergeant

Keeping it short, for I'm still suffering from information overload right now...

• Stats Self explaining, spot on info of my progress and a clear indication if my skills are improving.

Dislikes:
  • Friend or Foe HUD icons I really hope this gets tweaked a lot more, for the big screaming hey I am hear arrow like icon is a big let down for me.
    In close combat the might work and all, but medium long range I don't want to see these things at all, with the exception to my squad mates.
  • Vehicle Enter/Exit Animation Instant enter. *facepalm*, we had this discussion before... lets leave it at that.
  • Ammo packs Biggest flaw in any kind of shooter!
  • It felt laggy I know I know, It's still Alpha, yet, I could not help notice it.
  • Infantry movement animation Several times I got the sense animations where very limited, to static when turning on the spot or when suddenly changing direction

Middle Ground:
  • Kill Cam I hate the concept of kill cams, but in there current state they might not be all that bad, yet I still prefer not having them.
Old 2012-03-08, 09:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #110
PrISM
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by xSquirtle View Post
[*]Ammo packs - Straight rip from battlefield. The idea of never running out of ammo, makes me sad as I foresee more spam then what is necessary when I finally get a chance to play.
Actually ammo packs were before Battlefield. Return to Castle Wolfenstein had a class that dispensed them.

As far as my take on the footage, I could take it or leave it to be perfectly honest. What I'm seeing being developed is a modern FPS MMO game, not Planetside and what is fundamentally is. Even in that 30 or so minutes, how many times did Higby bring up something being like MW or BF?

Last edited by PrISM; 2012-03-08 at 09:13 PM.
Old 2012-03-08, 11:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #111
Traak
Colonel

I'm a medic and I would like to see the ideas in play to see if they are kewl.
Old 2012-03-10, 01:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #112
HayvenSky
Private

Let me say this, what I saw from the Planetside 2 videos were great. I believe this game will be great. The overall feel of the game is a lighter game play, with strong bones and deep structure. There is still a little ways to go, but they have ample time to fix it. I mean take a look at how far the original Planetside came from its Beta, its night and day.

- Graphics. Simply beautiful. Level of detail is A++.
- Base structure on the outside. Great detail.
- Game play felt light. Getting to the battle did not seem arduous like the previous Planetside.
- The UI and HUD display looked clean, and not bogged down. Futuristic feel, I love it.
- The speed of the game looked good.
- The physics of the vehicles was finely tuned.
- Character models look excellent.
- Loved the idea of cutting out the courtyard to vehicles at a certain point. Two thumbs up for that.

Middle Ground

- I don't know how I feel about the interior base design. Where are the tunnels? The way I saw it, there a lot of ways to set up camping. I hope this was just for Alpha display purposes. Most organized outfits plan on base design and love interior strategic battle.
- TTK could be tweaked, especially vehicle to vehicle damage.
- Drivers as main gunners. Possible option to allow a second person to be the main gunner should be included.
- AMMO Packs. Could be a good strategic route for drawn out small battles. Limit the amount of packs.

Dislike
- No AMS. Bring them back, they served a great purpose, strategically. The GALS are too big for covert operations, especially in the backyard of ones' enemy.
- Scrap Squad spawning. That is a joke of an idea. I mean how lazy does it get? This feature makes setting up fronts, and defending fronts, a logistic nightmare.
- Killcam. We all know this will be scrapped thanks to overwhelming negative community feedback on the feature.

Overall, I really really like where Planetside2 is heading. Some minor tweaks could really put this game light years forward. The devs have really outdone themselves. You all are doing a great honor and favor by bringing this game back for the players who so much loved the original Planetside.

Last edited by HayvenSky; 2012-03-10 at 01:27 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion