Likes, dislikes, and the middle ground from the GDC video's - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Hamma=Judge, Jury, and Executioner.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-03-06, 11:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
xSquirtle
Staff Sergeant

Post Likes, dislikes, and the middle ground from the GDC video's

Thought I would share some of my thoughts on the in game play videos, as we finally get to see many of the concepts brought to life.

• Stats - I cannot get enough of this, the whole progression and seeing your progress is Amazing!
  • Site with States - Finally a official Planetside stats website! Idea: Please include the top 24 hr: kills, base caps, support roles, and etc.. of players that day on each server(just like how the original Planetside stat website was setup (Thanks rev btw))
  • Vehicle handling - Even though I am disappointed with the main driver being the main gunner, the handling looks interesting and could really see some MASSIVE tank fights in the future
  • Squad menu - Love the fact that they want to make it simple and easy to join a group of players with little effort. It is one of those MMO things that are easily over looked and often times made more difficult then necessary.
  • Base Scaling - Finally.... a real representation of just how HUGE these facilities truly are! This got me really excited, as it was what I had wanted from day one.

Dislikes:
  • Vehicle Enter/Exit Animation - You will here me say this till the day I die. I hate the idea of insta enter and exiting of a vehicle. Looks cheap....
  • Vehicle huds - I understand that is his a alpha preview, but I really hope that I can modify my vehicles hud. What was shown the the video was very distracting and was annoying to look at.
  • Ammo packs - Straight rip from battlefield. The idea of never running out of ammo, makes me sad as I foresee more spam then what is necessary when I finally get a chance to play.
  • Glitches - Had to be mentioned . Floating tanks and jaggy vech movement is not very appealing. Good thing they said it was alpha or I'd mistake it for PS1.
  • No Maxes - Damn them still being in development!

Middle Ground:
  • Night cycle - On a scale from 1 to 10; 10 being bright and sunny. I think they need to make the battlefield much darker and around a 3 to where they are at currently at a 5. Still seems too bright and maybe it is just the map and moon light but I would like to see much darker atmosphere over all.
  • Map size - I know, how could I complain about it! My main concern is that the dev's are going to pump so much time testing whether or not the island in the middle of no wear is play able, rather then spending time devising a new map. Lets face it, playing one or two maps (Cyssor anyone?) gets lame relatively quick.
  • Kill Cam - Everyone worries about sniper position give away from this thing. Honestly, if we are looking at this from a MMO prospective(population scale), this is a non-issue until the games population begins to dwindle. My problem with it, is that it looks awkward. Maybe I am so use to the rotating camera from PS1. But the face view (especially on TR) looks weird. Maybe make this a option for the player doing the killing. Let them decided if they want players to view them or not. It is best to have preventable measures already in place for when the game does begin its decline(thinking realistically).
  • Station Store - Higby said really clearly in the video that they where no going to go with a PAY TO WIN store. But from what I saw was the fact that someone could easily buy all there gear from day one. I will acknowledge the fact that he said and some-what showed the ability to unlock that very gear through rigorous playing. However it still escapes the fact that someone can have it all by dishing out the cash.

These are only a few things that came to mind. I am sure that I could come up with a few more, once people here in the community decide to break down the videos frame by frame .

Originally Posted by UrielVS
Looking from the outside in. The game does not represent Planetside. With original concepts that players across the board accepted with open arms; have been taken out. Developers are creating the next COD on a massive scale. Generic players who never saw or even felt the uniqueness of the game, will only continue to nod their heads with blinding satisfaction, not realizing what basic functionality the game will lose in the process.

Last edited by xSquirtle; 2012-03-06 at 11:17 PM.
Old 2012-03-06, 11:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Yutty
Sergeant

Re: Likes, dislikes, and the middle ground from the GDC video's

Dislike

- 2 guns cost the same amount of Station gold but one cost 10 000 more of the other currency
- kill messages on the side
- arrow & circle above heads (do we really need both why not just a arrow)
- player names visible all the time instead of only when around the center mark. Gonna get crowded in big battles

- everything else
Old 2012-03-06, 11:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
cellinaire
Captain

Some of these thing might need clarification from the devs. Like SC issue and visible player names. I just guess we can toggle on and off in game's option....
Old 2012-03-06, 11:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
xSquirtle
Staff Sergeant

eh, worrying whats over another players head like their name, is getting way to nit-picky IMO.

Originally Posted by UrielVS
Looking from the outside in. The game does not represent Planetside. With original concepts that players across the board accepted with open arms; have been taken out. Developers are creating the next COD on a massive scale. Generic players who never saw or even felt the uniqueness of the game, will only continue to nod their heads with blinding satisfaction, not realizing what basic functionality the game will lose in the process.
Old 2012-03-06, 11:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Mordicant
Sergeant

I am think that the station store image may have just been place holder. As the NC guy had access to VS and TR weapons. I think we will see more clarification later on down the line.
Old 2012-03-06, 11:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Saintlycow
Sergeant Major

LAG
Old 2012-03-06, 11:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Mordicant
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Saintlycow View Post
LAG
ALPHA
Old 2012-03-06, 11:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Yutty
Sergeant

Originally Posted by xSquirtle View Post
eh, worrying whats over another players head like their name, is getting way to nit-picky IMO.
Its not an issue in the videos shown but I can see it being an issue with the huge battles which they keep talking about. I've played many other games where stuff like that just clogs the screen up making it difficulty to aim or see whats going on.
Old 2012-03-06, 11:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Traak
Colonel

Originally Posted by xSquirtle View Post
[*]Night cycle - On a scale from 1 to 10; 10 being bright and sunny. I think they need to make the battlefield much darker and around a 3 to where they are at currently at a 5. Still seems too bright and maybe it is just the map and moon light but I would like to see much darker atmosphere over all.
[*]Kill Cam - Everyone worries about sniper position give away from this thing. Honestly, if we are looking at this from a MMO prospective(population scale), this is a non-issue until the games population begins to dwindle. My problem with it, is that it looks awkward. Maybe I am so use to the rotating camera from PS1. But the face view (especially on TR) looks weird. Maybe make this a option for the player doing the killing. Let them decided if they want players to view them or not. It is best to have preventable measures already in place for when the game does begin its decline(thinking realistically).
I want dark so dark that it is literally 000000 000000 000000 on the RGB display, so no gamma tweaking can change it, and the ONLY thing that will illuminate it is flares, light sources, muzzle flash, etc.

And I don't want to find a good hiding place, have someone trip over one of my mines, and instantly have him know exactly where to find the relatively-unarmed Combat Engineer!

Say no to "Snitch Cam" that shows where the guy who killed you is, his armor, his weapons, and everything else you can see. Kind of reduces the value of an ambush, because the first person who dies gets the Snitch Cam to let him and his buddies know where you are and how many are with you.

An item of interest:

NC Chaingun listed in one of his EQ menus.

So NC having a Chaingun is IN?

Last edited by Traak; 2012-03-06 at 11:56 PM.
Old 2012-03-06, 11:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
cellinaire
Captain

Originally Posted by Mordicant View Post
ALPHA
.....And there will be mindless someone on Youtube who says something like

"Alpha can't be an excuse. And BTW, this game looks mediocre compared to Touhou Lol"

Just saying
Old 2012-03-06, 11:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Atheosim
Captain

Originally Posted by Yutty View Post
Dislike

- 2 guns cost the same amount of Station gold but one cost 10 000 more of the other currency I would be extremely surprised if those weren't placeholder values.
Going to have to get on the killcam bandwagon. I don't like it at all, but I can live with it if there is at least 2 seconds between death and killcame.
Old 2012-03-06, 11:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
SUBARU
Master Sergeant

The thing i dislike is the emphasis on kills.I know its a FPS game,but in PS1 the goal was to take that tower,or that base.In order to do that you needed to kill the enemy.In PS2 its all about the kills and the kill streaks.I can see it now ,I go and try to hack the control point and keep getting team killed because everybody wants to farm kills,and nobody cares about capping the base.Even Higby in the video was all about the kills and his streak
Old 2012-03-06, 11:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Aractain
Major

The player icon thing was a bit big, cluttered the display.

I actually like the FFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU (kill) camera only because you get to see what peoples cushtomizasuion is up close which is nice. (which means I don't like it for its function. Thought Id make that clear)

Last edited by Aractain; 2012-03-07 at 12:21 AM.
Old 2012-03-06, 11:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Skittles
Sergeant

Dislike the bubbles. In the bonus video the bubble was visible without LOS. What the point of hiding if we're always marked?

Dislike ammo packs. As mentioned; no running out of ammo? Whats the hackers roll in the game then if we never need a terminal?

HATE-HATE-HATE the killcam. So NOW everyone and their brother knows to look for me in my cloak suit.. Great... Just swell, maybe I can run around with bells and whistles when I move too. Or where I am hiding when Im using boomer traps.
Or heres a great example. Im riding my wrath and Im parked near my interdiction sight for mines, some choke point, like that ramp area you drove down. I kill Player A, shows me just kind of hanging out behind a rock near, Player A tells Player B via TS/Vent, "Hey, he's right here still next to that rock on your right." Wonderful..

REMOVE THE KILLCAM
Old 2012-03-06, 11:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Aractain
Major

Originally Posted by SUBARU View Post
The thing i dislike is the emphasis on kills.I know its a FPS game,but in PS1 the goal was to take that tower,or that base.In order to do that you needed to kill the enemy.In PS2 its all about the kills and the kill streaks.I can see it now ,I go and try to hack the control point and keep getting team killed because everybody wants to farm kills,and nobody cares about capping the base.Even Higby in the video was all about the kills and his streak
Yeah good point, I want a support streaks and nice xp/something else payouts for smaller objectives.

Got to have something for the sucky players like me to care about.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion