Will New Content Thin Numbers? - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Wanna see my spirit stick?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-22, 01:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
LegioX
First Sergeant

Re: Will New Content Thin Numbers?

Just make 1 big ass planet and have continents or "maps" all over it for people to play and fight on. Whoever controls the world and captures all continents is the winner.

Simple?
Old 2012-06-22, 01:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

Originally Posted by Redshift View Post
i kinda just worry about each cont essentially being a server and the choices between wear to fight no different to selecting a server, they way it sounds atm it doesn't sound very organic
Well i think this whole idea of playing on just one server is kind of old fashioned. Auaxis will be comprisd of three seperate servers basically.
Old 2012-06-22, 01:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

Originally Posted by LegioX View Post
Just make 1 big ass planet and have continents or "maps" all over it for people to play and fight on. Whoever controls the world and captures all continents is the winner.

Simple?
My idea is kind of similar, but instead of just capturing continents you could capture entire worlds. Well implemented server transfers FTW.
Old 2012-06-22, 01:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by LegioX View Post

Simple?
The only problem with that would be the problem of 5000 guys spawning or going to the same spot and crashing the server.

But; Planetside won't be the only viable MMOFPS forever and I suspect that competitors, at least not all of them, will not use the continent approach to slice up a server. There have GOT to be other ways.
Old 2012-06-22, 01:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
Sephirex
Major

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
The only problem with that would be the problem of 5000 guys spawning or going to the same spot and crashing the server.

But; Planetside won't be the only viable MMOFPS forever and I suspect that competitors, at least not all of them, will not use the continent approach to slice up a server. There have GOT to be other ways.
That's why there's a 2K cap per area?

So far modern competitors have used a central hub approach with fighting taking place in instanced matches of 24-64 people. Anyone can always step their game up in the future, but right now PS2 is looking like top dog.
Old 2012-06-22, 01:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
LegioX
First Sergeant

Go in more depth with it. Have a menu or some type of HUD system, which shows actions/resources/supply links from all continents. Then people and squads can choose what to do and how to attack different sections.
Old 2012-06-22, 01:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Sephirex View Post
That's why there's a 2K cap per area?

So far modern competitors have used a central hub approach with fighting taking place in instanced matches of 24-64 people. Anyone can always step their game up in the future, but right now PS2 is looking like top dog.
Yes, that is why there is a 2K cap per area. What I'm saying is that there have GOT to be other ways that no one has thought of yet.

But you know, I suspect even 2000 people on the same point could crash the server. I'm betting the mission system, while it plays a primary role in immersion and teamwork encouragement, plays a secondary role in keeping all 2000 players from going to the same point. I don't remember when but one of the SOE guys described missions as filling up to the point where they would no longer be advertised although if a friend invites you to it you could still join. I immediately thought of this issue when I heard that.
Old 2012-06-22, 01:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
Sephirex
Major

Yes, that is why there is a 2K cap per area. What I'm saying is that there have GOT to be other ways that no one has thought of yet.
Oh I'm sure there's ways. But no company's willing to put the dollars in to research tech for an untested business model.

That's why all the new MMO's are hotbar clickfests, with the company's swearing in interviews that's the best today's tech allows.

That's why I hope PS2 succeeds. Maybe the rest of the online industry will get off their collective ass and start looking at new ways to build their worlds. Hell, I'd give my first born for a persistent Star Wars Battlefront, but as SWTOR and Force Unleashed proves, Lucasarts won't greenlight shit until someone else does it first.
Old 2012-06-22, 05:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
Sifer2
Major

I imagine it really be as simple as them merging servers after launch when they add more continents/planets. I also expect some kind of way to jump ahead of others in the que to enter a specific continent will be a premium feature.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion