Will New Content Thin Numbers? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Nerf TR plz.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-20, 01:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
PoisonTaco
First Sergeant

Will New Content Thin Numbers?

I never played the original Planetside so I have no idea if they added any new continents or not over the game's life. Either way let's speculate a bit here.

So Planetside 2 is going to have three continents at launch and each continent can have 666 players per faction. That's just two shy of 2000. So based off of that, each server can handle a max population of 6000. What happens when SOE adds a new continent? Now we have 6000 players on a server that can handle 8000.

If the game continues to grow, all is well and good as everyone gets their friends on board. But as we add new continents and playable space it could potentially thin servers out as time goes on and the game could potentially lose its massive feel to it.

Anyways, food for thought.
Old 2012-06-20, 01:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
NivexQ
Contributor
First Sergeant

Misc Info
Re: Will New Content Thin Numbers?

Not every continent was fought on at all times in Planetside.

NivexTR - TR - 30/5 - -=The Black Sheep=-
SYNxNivexQ - NC - 26/4 - [:::::SYN:::::]
NivexVS - VS - 19/2? - SYNDICATEVS?

http://www.twitch.tv/nivexq
I don't broadcast much, but you never know
Old 2012-06-20, 01:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Stardouser
Colonel

I think this is very much a non issue, and at any rate, it's no reason to intentionally handicap the game from diversifying and adding new content.

Also, beta will prove one way or the other, but I think it's going to be very player dense early on; and we will welcome it when the game can handle 8000 per server but the servers are populated from when it was 6000.

Last edited by Stardouser; 2012-06-20 at 01:09 PM.
Old 2012-06-20, 01:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
The Kush
Captain

Yea when new continents are added I hope they add sanctuaries back in the game.
Old 2012-06-20, 01:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Raymac
Brigadier General

It's a good question. The only time they added content to PS1 was the caves, and those weren't exactly very popular. Now a whole new continent will be extremely popular. There are 2 ways I can think of dealing with this:

1. Return poplocks to funnel the players together. Personally I don't like this idea because I always felt poplocks created the most downtime in the game. I know people like the meta game of "winning" a continent, but the lead up to the actual lock was about 30 mins of 9:1 odds, followed by another 30 mins of starting a new fight somewhere else. (But that's a whole other thread)

2. Server merges. I think this is far more likely since server merges are basically inevitable in MMOs. Server merges will happen so they might as well happen at the same time that new content is released. That should help with the perception that the game is "dying" that server merges tend to convey.

Old 2012-06-20, 01:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Sabot
Second Lieutenant

Completely new, never heard of continents I dont think they will add for a very long time. Those will most certainly be full at all times... I'm guessing the old conts in new packaging ala PS2 will also be very popular when they go live, but not like a completely new one.
Old 2012-06-20, 01:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
zomg
Staff Sergeant

I have a feeling that changes in the maps at release will be more prominent than actually bringing in whole new maps. They have talked about how their tooling is much better and allows designers to do their thing nicely.

I think it would be cool if they had sort of events or such that would change the terrain. Let's imagine there's a space battle and a starship crashes or something and now that's in one of the sectors. (PS noob, honestly I have no idea if there are space battles in the Planetside "lore" or not but it felt like a nice example anyway )
Old 2012-06-20, 01:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Otleaz
Second Lieutenant

I hope they plan ahead for server mergers. That would make things go much smoother later on.
Old 2012-06-20, 01:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Silencer22
Private

In the original PS, I think most people would tend to go to where the action and biggest fights were occurring. So I think the pop balance would likely work itself out. You will have some smaller scale fighting on some continents and then a few larger fights where the bulk of the people will be.

Dance With Me Death...I'm Ready For You!
Old 2012-06-20, 02:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
bjorntju1
Captain

I think Smed talked about having multiple planets (and on that planets different continents) later on in the game. This way you play on one server, but technically every planet is its own server.
Old 2012-06-20, 02:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
QuantumMechanic
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

This is a very good point. TRay has mentioned they have plans to add back all continents from the original game, and you can be sure this won't happen with just a single update. The game world will likely steadily expand over a period of years.

PS2 won't have the usual MMORPG "problem" that all the high level characters will only be in the "new lands" and new characters will be in the "newbie lands". But I don't necessarily see server population increasing with the new continents being added. If anything only temporarily as old players return to check out the new continents and then return to play BF4 or whatever.

I would like to hear other people's potential solutions. The only thing that makes sense to me is server merges as Raymac suggested. When done in the context of increasing a server's population limit above and beyond what it used to be, I don't think a server merge has any negative connotation to it at all. In fact it's something people should get excited about.
Old 2012-06-20, 02:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Stardouser
Colonel

I think server merges is probably a good solution, but, what I want to say above all else is that the population density of a server does not need to be so dense that there is fighting going on everywhere at once. If there are 9 continents and 2 are left without fighting sometimes, that's fine. Provides options to players.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-20, 02:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
RadarX
PlanetSide 2
Community Manager

We've gotten really good at keeping numbers where they need to be. I assure you all this has been considered.
Old 2012-06-20, 02:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by RadarX View Post
We've gotten really good at keeping numbers where they need to be. I assure you all this has been considered.
Are we going to be able to relax a bit when we get to more continents or will numbers be kept so dense there will be substantial combat on every continent at all times?
Old 2012-06-20, 02:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Geist
Lieutenant Colonel

I believe they mentioned that they are definitely putting in new continents post launch such as Searhus, but it might take a while.

My hope is that once there are more continents, Empires can actually have the ability to capture continents.
"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

-Douglas Adams
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion