Resources should be a multiplier....Not an actual ammount - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Stop it! That tickles!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-05-29, 06:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Dreamcast
Major

Resources should be a multiplier....Not an actual ammount

The problem I see right now is that resources could be attained by free loaders...Offline players which will mean I can create smurf account and have different accounts with a bunch of resources in case I run out of resources on my main account.

A way to solve this is by making Resources a multiplier...What I mean by this is that it will multiply the certain bases you taken over.

For example if TR has 19 bases than you get 19 resources per kill or certain actions you do...So u have to work for them...certain actions will get u more resources.

If a Empire has 1 base then you only get 1 resource per action u do that benifits the team like kills etc

Of course I do not know which multiplication numbers will work....This will have to be tested in according to how to make the game balance and how much resources things cost.

The only problem I see with this is Farming tho...maybe have a fixed ammount a person needs to work for then?

So lets say an Empire has 4 bases....They could only get 4000 max ammount so once that happens they need to spend it if they want so it wont accumulate and theirfore they wont be able to farm.

Last edited by Dreamcast; 2012-05-29 at 06:31 PM.
Old 2012-05-29, 06:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Purple
Sergeant Major

Re: Resources should be a multiplier....Not an actual ammount

i think that this could be fixed by just making it so you have to be active.
Old 2012-05-29, 06:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
SKYeXile
Major General

i think the best solution is that each node generates resources based off the amount of players online. imagine been the first people online after a server restart? a node producing 10000 ore per tick, dived by like 10 people they would be getting heaps. also players not playing primetime could get more resources, by the nodes producing resources based off people online you get a flat rate throughout the day.

Also i think resources earnt should be based off XP earnt towards your empire. if you earned 5.6% of the XP earnt for your empire for the last resource tick you would get 5.6% of the resources, maybe do it by mean or avg so worse players still get some resources, but we defiantly don't want to be dividing by players online, its too open to exploits by smurf accounts and also possible bots and farmers. not that they really need to bot...just stand around in sanc.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-05-29, 06:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
GunslingerX
Private

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
imagine been the first people online after a server restart? a node producing 10000 ore per tick, dived by like 10 people they would be getting heaps..
I still don't understand resource distribution, and have no idea how it worked in PS1 but I don't believe a node's output is divided equally among players. I would assume it's more along the lines of "for every 1000 points per tick each player gets say 5 points". So in your example each player would get 50 points per tick regardless of the number of players online.

Either way I'm sure the devs have come up with a complicated algorithm that takes various things (including activity) into account.
Old 2012-05-29, 06:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
KTNApollo
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by GunslingerX View Post
I still don't understand resource distribution, and have no idea how it worked in PS1 but I don't believe a node's output is divided equally among players. I would assume it's more along the lines of "for every 1000 points per tick each player gets say 5 points". So in your example each player would get 50 points per tick regardless of the number of players online.

Either way I'm sure the devs have come up with a complicated algorithm that takes various things (including activity) into account.
There were no resources in PlanetSide, only BEP, SEP, and CEP (various types of XP used to unlock certs/command stuff).
Old 2012-05-29, 06:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
SKYeXile
Major General

resources weren't in PS1, but higby has said that if you have less people holding land than the other factions holding the same amount of land with more people then you would be getting more resources each than them since its divided by less people.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
Old 2012-05-29, 07:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
GunslingerX
Private

Thanks for clearing that up.

I could understand during the course of a battle being rewarded for holding your own when outnumbered but that has nothing to do with this. I guess I'll just sit this one out.
Old 2012-05-29, 07:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
MikePurdy
Private

noobs like me need to be able to get hand outs, but only if we are outside being able to be shot at.

leachers, AFK farmers, and people that hide, should be forced to go outside. At the very least they must be out of a safe location to get resources.

If I am a noob (and I am) I should have fun skilling up (playing with certs and customization) even if I am just target practice for the pros.

people that live off what I will now call "The Planetside Food Stamp System" come from both sides of the coin. On one side are the noobs that need a hand out, and on the other side are the Leachers that see it as an easy upgrade.
Old 2012-05-29, 07:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
XxMrShinyxX
Private

Originally Posted by MikePurdy View Post
noobs like me need to be able to get hand outs, but only if we are outside being able to be shot at.

leachers, AFK farmers, and people that hide, should be forced to go outside. At the very least they must be out of a safe location to get resources.

If I am a noob (and I am) I should have fun skilling up (playing with certs and customization) even if I am just target practice for the pros.

people that live off what I will now call "The Planetside Food Stamp System" come from both sides of the coin. On one side are the noobs that need a hand out, and on the other side are the Leachers that see it as an easy upgrade.
but see, you still have to kill stuff to get XP to rank up to be able to train those certs
Old 2012-05-29, 07:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by XxMrShinyxX View Post
but see, you still have to kill stuff to get XP to rank up to be able to train those certs
the cert system is been reworked, we don't know anything about it currently.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
Old 2012-05-29, 07:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
capiqu
Contributor
First Lieutenant

You just can't keep going around and dying using up valuable empire resources. You have to be of some use to your empire. Be the best meatshield one can be, I guess.

Old 2012-05-29, 07:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Stardouser
Colonel

I don't mind if everyone gets a bit of a hand out every now and then so that they can sporadically pull a vehicle even if they're sucking, but, in a sustained action, if they keep getting blown out of the sky, they need to be able to run out.

And, I am very curious about whether, for infantry, advanced weapons like guided AA rockets will cost resources, such that someone who has completely run dry on resources can't even get those?

At some point you need to be driven by desperation to spawn light assault with your assault rifle only, spawn the cheapest transport vehicle you can, and try to sneak past the encroaching armies to try and get a backbase. It's times like those I think you can really be a hero for your empire.

Last edited by Stardouser; 2012-05-29 at 07:22 PM.
Old 2012-05-29, 08:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
SpcFarlen
First Sergeant

I feel resources should be given out equally to everyone, whole faction gets X per Y. It stops the top tier players from only driving vehicles. Its always a good idea to have new players enter at the same level as the rest, that encourages growth in the game.

But to stop afkers you could simply have a time limit and when that limit is reached their amount of resources is locked at its current amount. That way whose who need to relieve themselves or deal with something can do so, and hop back in without logging in and logging out.

Though i still dont see that really being a problem because they will also need XP to progress their character.
Old 2012-05-29, 08:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by SpcFarlen View Post
I feel resources should be given out equally to everyone, whole faction gets X per Y. It stops the top tier players from only driving vehicles. Its always a good idea to have new players enter at the same level as the rest, that encourages growth in the game.

But to stop afkers you could simply have a time limit and when that limit is reached their amount of resources is locked at its current amount. That way whose who need to relieve themselves or deal with something can do so, and hop back in without logging in and logging out.

Though i still dont see that really being a problem because they will also need XP to progress their character.
what sort of time limit? i time limit for moving? i can macro my G15 to move every minute or i can join a random pug squad and leach possible squad XP. if not divided equally by XP earnt, then resources should atleast be only given to those players who generate more than 10% of the average(maybe mean XP) XP.

this means if the average player earns 500 XP per tick, then would only need to have earned 50 to get the same resources as somebody earning 10,000xp per tick

SKYeXile TRF - GM
Old 2012-05-29, 08:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
SpcFarlen
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
what sort of time limit? i time limit for moving? i can macro my G15 to move every minute or i can join a random pug squad and leach possible squad XP. if not divided equally by XP earnt, then resources should atleast be only given to those players who generate more than 10% of the average(maybe mean XP) XP.

this means if the average player earns 500 XP per tick, then would only need to have earned 50 to get the same resources as somebody earning 10,000xp per tick
Could have a limit on the range for Squad XP, similar to any other MMO out there. But i was specificly only referring to resources gained and not XP. But i like that idea for XP.

As for a timer, of course nothing will be foolproof. But in SWTOR, when i played, i tried a similar macro and it kicked me off. Its a patern, so you could have a dual system.

1) In the same spot for x amount of time
2) If movement is in a pattern.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion