Please answer this one... - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: We tried phone sex once but the holes weren't big enough
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-05-12, 07:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Supreme
Private

Please answer this one...

Maybe i am missing something here.
This is an Online First Person shooter.
I got that part

This is a game where the word is persistant.

Yup, thats the main reason why i like playing online subscription type games.

However,

it seems this game doesnt have anything that sticks.

We take over a new continent,
other guys retake it.

we do it again,
and again,
and again.

HOW is this different from lets say, battlefield 1942 or CouterStrike?
they seem to have the same idea.

Sure there are Outfits but every game has a guild system one way or another.

I hope theres something i am missing here cause i really like this game and if its what i said above then how is that worth paying a monthly fee for?
Old 2003-05-12, 07:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
RUEN
Staff Sergeant

good question. the planetside team states that, because this is beta, we're not seeing what will be the "end game" just yet, they have planned for more things to be added post-release. and seeing your stance on the matter, perhaps you should wait awhile before looking at this game. because as of right now, there is quite little to keep someone in this game.
Old 2003-05-12, 07:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Supreme
Private

Originally posted by RUEN
good question. the planetside team states that, because this is beta, we're not seeing what will be the "end game" just yet, they have planned for more things to be added post-release. and seeing your stance on the matter, perhaps you should wait awhile before looking at this game. because as of right now, there is quite little to keep someone in this game.
the game is gonna be released very soon.

I WILL buy it.

thats for sure however i'd hate for it to end in the dumpseter with DAOC and Asherons Call II.
Old 2003-05-12, 08:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Timormi
Staff Sergeant

thats for sure however i'd hate for it to end in the dumpseter with DAOC and Asherons Call II.

This I can guarentee wont happen. There is NO way Sony would let a project this big hit the dumps. They will find an ingenius way to make it be exactly as you want it. For me, this game is the best already
Old 2003-05-12, 08:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
TekDragon
Contributor

Yeah... just like 10six. Which had a concept that was 10 times cooler than PlanetSide and 500 times more innovative.

They didnt put the money into it, kept firing developers, and eventually canned it. All they had to do was FUND it and put new stuff in and fix the bugs but they DIDNT.

Dont give me shit about Sony not letting this or that happen. Sony already let a great game fail. Now they are charging out the ASS for a Tribes knock off.

Im buying this game but god DAMN im so angry about it... its like a fuking mugging.
Old 2003-05-12, 08:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Matuse
First Sergeant

If you are so upset at the game, Tek...why buy it? You don't have anything invested in it yet, there's no reason to spend any money at all if you find the business model behind it to be so objectionable.

Not like bitching about it is going to change it.
Old 2003-05-12, 09:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
TekDragon
Contributor

If you are so upset at the game, Tek...why buy it?
Fact is theyve kept it right at the limit for me. $50 for the box and $13 for the subscription is insanely high but its JUST low enough that ill pay for it because i love the concept of the game so damn much.

Just because im willing to pay it doesnt mean i wont punch a sony executive in the nose if i ever meet one for ripping their customers off.
Old 2003-05-12, 09:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Salizar
Private

Besides....

....could any of of us ever be truely happy if we weren't able to bitch about things now and then?
Old 2003-05-12, 09:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
AcidCat
Staff Sergeant

Originally posted by TekDragon
Fact is theyve kept it right at the limit for me. $50 for the box and $13 for the subscription is insanely high but its JUST low enough that ill pay for it because i love the concept of the game so damn much.

Just because im willing to pay it doesnt mean i wont punch a sony executive in the nose if i ever meet one for ripping their customers off.
LOL, I hear ya.
Old 2003-05-12, 09:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Euroclydon
Sergeant

This has been the most impressive MMO game developing I've ever seen as far as reaching deadlines and the speed of adding and changing things, and I don't expect it to stop after release. I'm sure they'll be adding lots of stuff after release, including some end-game motives.

Sony has the funding and therefore a big enough team to handle a huge project such as a MMO game very well.

(aka Daedalus - Jumpgate/Neocron)
Old 2003-05-12, 09:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Camping Carl
Major

It'll be great because they won't let it fail. I doubt they'd even pause for a second if it was anything less than a major hit. Even if, in the end it does not have the lastability people want they'll change it as much as is needed to satisfy players. They already have invested in a fantasic engine, netcode, dev team, etc. Why start all over again?

Vanu still suck....
Old 2003-05-12, 10:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Seer
Major

Well, Tek, sounds like they are charging exactly the right amount as far as you're concerned. If they charged less they would be losing money--meaning, if they charged $10, that's $3 a month that you're willing to pay they're missing out on. If they charged more they'd definitely lose money, because you wouldn't pay for it.

What they really have to consider is the increase in number of subscribers they would be likely to get if they kicked it down to ten. Well, it's their bottom line--if the 13 dollar price point isn't working for them, watch for them to either drop it down or make the game worth it. They have a lot riding on PS, either way.
Old 2003-05-12, 10:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
TekDragon
Contributor

Thats true, but where they are REALLY gonna notice hits is when people actively cancel accounts when they get bored with the game.

I keep my UO account active even though i sometimes stop playing for 3-6 months a time. Why? They have deals where if you buy 6 months or 12 months the monthly cost is like $8.

$13 a month means the MOMENT i feel like taking a break that will be a month or longer i WILL cancel my account.

Thats gonna cost Sony a pretty penny. Too bad their marketing staff is a bunch of ass-hats.

BTW: is there any way to find out RL names and adresses of Sony marketing staff? Id like to pay some of them a visit.
Old 2003-05-12, 11:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

errrr

"BTW: is there any way to find out RL names and adresses of Sony marketing staff? Id like to pay some of them a visit."

Doesnt it make you happy to know youll be playing PS with this cretin.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion