More Robust command structure - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Power Supply Unit?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-09-16, 01:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Pilgrim
Contributor
First Lieutenant

More Robust command structure

Been thinking about this for a while, stealing good ideas from others. What do all you think?

My kewl new command structure idea!

I love Planetside� love it! To me the biggest problem is the lack of overall command, the use of strategy over tactics. I feel that the environment of Planetside would improve vastly with a more dynamic and robust command structure. (I understand that many post of this nature have been made� this is mine ***61514; )

First there needs to be an overall command structure, this will make a continental commander a necessity. The Continental commander is the first CR5 with boots on ground (called OIC). All other cr5 have the right to call for a vote for a Change of command once per � hour. This way if an incompetent CR5 is in charge they can be removed while a whiney CR5 can�t spam for votes.

Next all squad leaders (and it must be a squad leader) get to decided if they will participate in the command structure (and which layer more on this later) When a SL tags himself for Commands then the CR5 can send commands through the map interface.

Jumping off on a tangent here, the map interface. A few new features would have to be added for this. One is the OIC will have to be able to see all squad leaders in their Area of Operations. This should be continent wide. Then the OIC can click a SL and send them an order, for example, �Go to Gunuku and secure the spawn room� This would be accomplished by all click interface. Once the order is give a non-intrusive pop up comes up on the SL HUD he can accept or decline. It is then up to the SL to decide on Tactics to accomplish the mission.

When a Squad leader designates themselves into the command structure they are given an option to designate the type of squad they are running. For example, if they are running an all reaver squad, a little wing will appear next to there name. This is so special squads can be assigned to missions that are more appropriate.

Example mission tags:

All proceeded by the base designated for the mission

Get the hack
Defend the hack
Secure the wall
Secure the courtyard
Secure the Spawn room
Fly CAP

And on, and on
The options here are limitless really, 50-60 mission tags could be created.

Now to what makes this one so kewl� the ability to decide what level of Command your squad will be in. This is so a large outfit can decide that they want an independent command structure, or a platoon (when they come out) to operate independent. So there will be three layers of command.

Continental will be the default and will put your squad under the OIC for the continent
Outfit will allow all SL from a single outfit to designate an OIC for them and use all the same tools (still only continent wide!)
Small Unit will be for platoons, to multi squads. Like for Raids and such also an alternative if the OIC in Continent is a tool.

Remember that SL have to join the command before they can receive commands and can leave at will. This means that the greef potential should be pretty low.

So that�s my thoughts on new command let me know what you all think!

PAX
Old 2003-09-16, 01:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Incompetent
Contributor
InComa

I like it, while i think that it's not the greatest way to figure out who should be the commander, maybe set it so squads can declare allegiance to CR5s instead. Also a CR5 should have a dropdown menu on the continent map, so they can select a squad that has declared allegiance and see how many people are in it, check there certs and give orders directly to the SL. They could also have the ability to draw a battleplan for every squad under them, which could be turned on and off seperately from your SLs BP of course. Another thing that I think is extremely badly needed is a SL chat, not command, but all the squad leaders on the continent, reguardless of CR, and another one for squads and SLs allied under a certain commander.

Also, CR4s and 5s need to be able to narrow down who they are transmitting too, let them draw a box around an area and only transmit inside of it or something. I also want battleplans to show up on minimaps, but thats another thread entirely.
Old 2003-09-16, 05:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Pilgrim
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Yeah that's a great idea incomp!

Allowing the SL a list of Commanders to declare under. That provides the levels of Autonomy that I hoped for!
Old 2003-09-17, 06:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Phaden
Contributor
Major

not to resurect a ded thread, but i like this idea. Also the box area of sending messages i good too. needs refinement on some parts but Devs take notice!
Old 2003-09-17, 07:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Pilgrim
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Thanks

It's kinda annoying that this lasted on the OF about 15 seconds

But damn we need some mechanism to allow diverse people from around the world to actually operate with a cohesive strategy!

PAX
Old 2003-09-17, 08:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
MilitantB0B
Colonel

Great idea! Give us the link to that OF thread, i will bump the hell out of that thing!
Old 2003-09-17, 09:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Marsman
Major

I concur - great post. I have also long thought they should expand the command capabilities. Commander need more information and ways to interact. PS has evolved into a great battlefield game to the squad level, now they need to push in the other direction and give the commanders the tools and abilities they need to fight a successful strategic war. Commanders need intellegence and PS provides painfully little of it to command with. Now that the devs at Sony finally understands that higher levels of organization are desired (like platoons, which overwhelmingly placed at the front of the desired features in their recent user poll) perhaps they will place greater significance to these requests than they did to the desire for platoons. FLB are good steps in the right direction to add depth for a good fight, now give the commanders abilities to develop that depth effectively.
Old 2003-09-17, 09:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
SandTrout
Contributor
The one, the only

Just 1 word,

Platoons. 1 squad simply isn't enough people to be autonomous. Haveing 1 leader to be able to give waypoints and easy communication to 30 people would help tons.
Old 2003-09-18, 10:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Pilgrim
Contributor
First Lieutenant

I agree that platoons will help alot, but I would much rather see a more contenental perspective as oposed to the base by base thing.

And the OF link is

http://boards.station.sony.com/ubb/p...ML/007485.html
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion