Video Card Upgrade Question (G4 Ti4200 vs. Radeon 9600 Pro) - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I'm not as you think as drunk I am!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2003-09-30, 07:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Biohazzard56
Contributor
Major General

Video Card Upgrade Question (G4 Ti4200 vs. Radeon 9600 Pro)

I have a Geforce 4 Ti4200 (64MB) and might get a Radeon 9600 Pro in a few weeks. I just want to know what kinda improvements ill see if i upgrade. In planetside and in the new DX9 games. Im going to get Halo PC tomorrow and i know it will run just fine on G4. The kind of things i want to do is run games at 1024x768 (No AA or anything of that nature) no shadows pretty good textures and model detail. If you need my computer's specs they are in my sig. Also if their are any problems with installation with the nvidia drivers i have you have any step by step solutions.
Old 2003-09-30, 09:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
sandmtrailboss
Sergeant

Well I dont know what kinda imporvments you'll see in planetside but I do know that alot of high end computers with cards like 9800 Pros are haveing trouble with Halo. I'm gonna buy it and hope Microsoft's future patches fix the problem. The ti4200 doesnt support dx9 games, I'm not sure if you just cant play them at all or if the quality is lower. For the drivers thing just completely uninstall the nvidia drivers and then just install the sti drivers.
Old 2003-09-30, 09:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Biohazzard56
Contributor
Major General

Direct X9 is for new graphic features, they design the games for the main audience less than 10% of people who will buy Halo PC wont have a DX9 hardware supported card. If you can install DX9 then it will work. I heard lots of rumors about the framerate issues in halo.
Old 2003-10-01, 03:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

The 9600 XT is coming out in time for Xmas if it give a boost like the 9800 XT did over the Pro version its worth the wait. The new driver will supot OCing and hardware monitoring. Asus is goint to start make the radeons starting with the XT's wich is sweet they make realy good stuff.
The XGI chips will be coming soon to, they look promising.
just don't get a Geforce right now they don't have the same preformance VS value as the radeons do (unless you get a very good deal like me) and the 9600 pro can beat the 5900 ultra somthings in the THG tests

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2003-10-01, 04:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Biohazzard56
Contributor
Major General

i know for shure im getting 9600 Pro now , anyone have any perfomance bechmark numbers or anything like that?
Old 2003-10-01, 05:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Tomshardwareguide.com has lots of benchmarks

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2003-10-01, 09:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Biohazzard56
Contributor
Major General

turns out its non-pro , nonpro is 60 bucks more than i dont have, whats the diffrence between pro and non pro?
Old 2003-10-02, 03:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

The only real difference is clockspeed and memory speed. do a google serch on softmoddinga 9600 to a 9600 pro you can efectivly OC it and even make Windows recognise it as a PRO version
try to get one with the highest momory speed possible
www.ati.com has a product comparison chart to

Last edited by Rbstr; 2003-10-02 at 03:33 PM.
Old 2003-10-02, 08:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Biohazzard56
Contributor
Major General

pricewatch is fucked up only 20 bucks more so im getting pro version , sorry about all the confusion.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum