PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Best site ever
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2003-10-20, 01:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
I Hate Pants
General

Questions on upgrading my processor. PLZ HELP ME!

Right now my computer stats show as

Intel Celeron Processor 1.2GHz
512 ram
9000 ATI RADEON PRO 128mb
i dont know my motherboard
and i have a very shitty soundcard

Right now I wanna upgrade my processor. Can I expect Planetside to run better on higher graphic settings once I upgrade my processor? Right now I have to run it on low graphics and thats no fun. When I play on medium graphic settings I get lagg when im in heavy battles. Also my friend says inorder to upgrade my processor to say a pentium 4 processor I would need to upgrade my motherboard. PLEASE TELL ME HE'S JOKING!

Im thinking of getting a Intel Pentium 4 2.4GHz processor.
Old 2003-10-20, 01:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

well yes you do have to get a new MB, your celleron is mostlikey a socket 370 the p4's now are 478(i think, give or take a few pins)

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2003-10-20, 01:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
I Hate Pants
General

Crap I was afraid of that. So if I stck with Celeron and I upgrade to a better one do I still need to get a new MB? If I use a better Celeron can I still expect better performance for planetside? I hear Pentiums are more for gaming and Celerons are not. True?
Old 2003-10-20, 02:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
_-Gunslinger-_
First Sergeant

Yes Pentiums are better for gaming. No you dont need a new Mobo. Upgrading anything for what you have will improve your PS situation, but a Pentium would do the most good and then a gig of ram then vid card.

(Ram and vid are in a close tie really its up to how much cash u have)
Old 2003-10-20, 03:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
I Hate Pants
General

Alright. So ill go for the Intel celeron 2.6 or 2.7. Thx guys
Old 2003-10-21, 03:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Biohazzard56
Contributor
Major General

that would be wise but the pentium has a better cache if you could find one that would fit your mobo it would be better even a 2 Ghz pentium with that cache will probably be faster than that 2.6 or 2.7 Celeron
Old 2003-10-22, 06:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
DramaticFanatic
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by _-Gunslinger-_
Yes Pentiums are better for gaming. No you dont need a new Mobo. Upgrading anything for what you have will improve your PS situation, but a Pentium would do the most good and then a gig of ram then vid card.

(Ram and vid are in a close tie really its up to how much cash u have)
Pentiums are actually better for servers, because intels come underclocked. AMD is much better for gaming. I have an AMD Athlon XP 1600+ with only 512 DDR Ram. It works almost perfectly.
Old 2003-10-22, 11:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
_-Gunslinger-_
First Sergeant

Its really just a preference. Besided in my experiences Intel runs windoes more stablally than AMD. If windows crashes any games you were playing crash as well. Thats why I stick with intel. At any rate the discussion looked much more open to Pentium/Celeron than AMD. I might consider an AMD when the 64 OS has been out for 8 months (My normal microsoft cooling time +2 months because its a 64 bit os) because it will more likely than not be benchmarked with an AMD because they released the first 64 bit cpu (Between intel/amd, Sun microsystems has been running 64 bit for years, and solaris 10.0 will be 128 bit along with 128 bit hardware)
Old 2003-10-22, 11:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Mtx
The Mensa Troll

For some reason at my school programers prefer Intel because of its logical style (or whatever) while Admins prefer AMD.

Old 2003-10-22, 01:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Daleon
Second Lieutenant

Wow, i haven't seen so much bad info and market paranoia in a long time.

As for the original subject, Rbstr was right. You are more than likely looking at a MB upgrade to seriously upgrade your processor. Your 1.2 Celeron is based off a P3 core and you prolly have an 815E mb chipset. Its 100mhz fsb. The only Celeron's you can interchange with it will be the 1.3 or 1.4 Celeron's. Anything higher is based off a P4 core, will be 400+ mhz, and require a newer mb chipset.
Download CPUID or something also to figure out what you got for sure.

You can possibly put a normal P3 1.4 chip in. It will defintely be a little better than your celeron. But you can't go sticking in a P4.

As for Intel vs AMD, the days of I don't like AMD's b/c of (insert urban legend of choice) are long gone. They don't have heat problems, they don't crash or have function errors anymore than Intels, etc. If a chip is not stable, its not put out. Last time I can seriously remember a chip with math errors, was guess what, an Intel. These days the MB chipset and ram play a much bigger role in system stability than the actual processor.
Old 2003-10-22, 07:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
NoSurrender
Contributor
Colonel

you cant put the new celerons in a old one because they now use the P4 core...

Thanks to Eine for my awesome sig
Old 2003-10-23, 08:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Daleon
Second Lieutenant

What do you mean, he has a P3 mb. How do you figure you can put a P4 core celeron in a P3 mb? Your missing about 300mhz fsb that the chipset can't handle. And the memory is prolly all wrong, I am sure his MB only supports SDRAM. Not even RDRAM prolly.

Last edited by Daleon; 2003-10-23 at 09:54 PM.
Old 2003-10-23, 04:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

ya a P3 mb only does SDram, is is a slot (1 perhaps) or a 370 socket?

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2003-10-23, 07:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
NoSurrender
Contributor
Colonel

dale once again u mis understood me i said he CANNOT put the new celeron in his old mobo... jesus

Thanks to Eine for my awesome sig
Old 2003-10-23, 09:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Daleon
Second Lieutenant

Me thinks Pyro's words play trickery with my mind or I was on acid, who knows.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum