PSU: We hump furniture.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide 2 Media > Fan Fiction

Old 2003-11-12, 10:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Nazsteph
Private

Disturbing Discovery

"What was so important that you had to get me out of bed?" General Kathra was the head of the medical department. Not a "fighting" General, he was used to getting a full nights sleep. His position was mostly making sure all the medical facilities had all the right equipment and staff, nothing that usually couldnt wait til morning.

"Sir. Alpha Company just got back, they brought something you need to see." Lt. Faen was Kathra's most trusted advisor. Faen's position placed him exactly where he could supply Kathra with vital information, making sure he was never surprised by anything that he would have to deal with.

"Couldnt this wait until morning?" He asked knowing full well that if Faen woke him up it was important.

"No, Sir, it couldnt." Faen usually shrugged off Kathra's minor complaints, but the flat tone in Faen's voice let Kathra know this wasnt only important it was serious.

"What is it?"

Faen opened his mouth to speak but nothing came out. He motioned down the hallway, "follow me."

They were heading down toward the biolab containment facility. Noticeing the direction they were heading he offered up a silent prayer, 'please God not another virus'.

The last virus tore through the population like an out of control fire, everyone was touched. Only the combined efforts of all three Empires finally contained it. Working on the virus was only a little less tricky than working with the VS and NC.

By the time they reached the containment facility Kathra had tied his stomach into knots. But, when the outer doors to the observation room slid open he was not prepared for what he saw.

"What is it?" Kathra could only stare into the containment room.

A very thin man-like figure sat huddled in one of the corners. Its waxy skin was grey and looked like it was wet to the touch. The eyes were large but looked human, that is until a black hidden lens slid out from the side, makeing them dark pools of endlessness. It slowly blinked causeing Kathra to blink in unison. It had five digits on its hands slightly longer than a man's, except for the pinky which seemed to eminate from the wrist and act like a second opposable thumb. Its muscles were thin almost string like but it gave the impression of strength with every movement.

"Its resting now, but watch." Faen spoke to the General but he too couldnt pull his eyes off the creature in the room not more than 10 feet from them.

It was a flash of movement, Kathra couldnt follow, the thing seemed to just disappear.

"Did you see that?" Faen had a smile on his face.

Kathra relised that Faen was excited about this thing, it only filled him with terror. "What happend?"

"It moved."

"That fast? I didnt even see it. Where is it now?"

"Its in the opposite corner."

"What? Where?"

"There." Faen pointed to an obviously empty corner.

"Wait...Here." Faen hit a couple buttons and the glass shimmered. The sterile picture of the room suddenly changed into an explosion of color, Greens, Blues, Purples, Reds, Yellows they all seemed to be there. Then he saw it, in the corner that Faen had pointed to.

There was the thing, unmistakably, sillowetted in dark reds, oranges and only a couple yellows. It must be very hot to produce such an intense thermal picture.

Echoing his thoughts Faen said, "This thing is hot. Look at the other corner, it still registers fifteen degrees warmer than the walls it didnt touch."

"What is it?" The General asked again.

"We think its a Vanu."

"What? Arn't they extinct?"

"Appearantly not sir."

The observation room door slid open and a young soldier stepped in. He saluted both Kathra and Faen, then handed Faen a folder. He saluted again then turned and exited without saying a word.

Faen looked over the report his face turning to ash.

Faen handed the report to Kathra, "Here."

Kathra seemed to shrink while reading. He looked up at the burning silluette through the window. "They wouldn't..."

"They have."

"The Vanu Sovrienty's obsession with alien technology has gone too far."

Kathra set down the report, he turned slowly towards the door, it slid open with a hiss. "Kill it." Then he disappeared down the hall.
Old 2003-11-13, 07:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
VashTheStamped
Major

Misc Info

Old 2003-11-13, 02:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Gigabein
Sergeant Major

interesting hook! I would suggest that you're moving the story along way too fast, though. What you have would be good as an excerpt several chapters (possibly even half-way) into the story. You're cheating yourself out of some good mystery/suspense-building.
Old 2003-11-13, 09:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
NewCong. Marine
Master Sergeant

Holy crap.............sssaaahhhhwwwweeeeeetttt! Real nice writing! When is more coming?
Old 2003-11-13, 09:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
AztecWarrior
Lightbulb Collector

Excellent.

Now some of the old timers may remember that I did something similiar, regarding a failed teleportation experiment that brought in an alien. I never said that it was a Vanu. So there is no conflict between my and this story. Keep going.
The gun katas. Through analysis of thousands of recorded gunfights, the Cleric has determined that the geometric distribution of antagonists in any gun battle is a statistically predictable element. The gun kata treats the gun as a total weapon, each fluid position representing a maximum kill zone, inflicting maximum damage on the maximum number of opponents while keeping the defender clear of the statistically traditional trajectories of return fire. By the rote mastery of this art, your firing efficiency will rise by no less than 120%. The difference of a 63% increase to lethal proficiency makes the master of the gun katas an adversary not to be taken lightly.
Old 2003-11-13, 09:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
NewCong. Marine
Master Sergeant

Aztec, you still got that story lyin around?
Old 2003-11-13, 09:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
AztecWarrior
Lightbulb Collector

Originally Posted by NewCong. Marine
Aztec, you still got that story lyin around?
Usually, FFs are deleted when they reach the third page.

And that was with the old forums, too.
The gun katas. Through analysis of thousands of recorded gunfights, the Cleric has determined that the geometric distribution of antagonists in any gun battle is a statistically predictable element. The gun kata treats the gun as a total weapon, each fluid position representing a maximum kill zone, inflicting maximum damage on the maximum number of opponents while keeping the defender clear of the statistically traditional trajectories of return fire. By the rote mastery of this art, your firing efficiency will rise by no less than 120%. The difference of a 63% increase to lethal proficiency makes the master of the gun katas an adversary not to be taken lightly.
Old 2003-11-13, 09:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
NewCong. Marine
Master Sergeant

Aww.......was teh story good..?
Old 2003-11-13, 09:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
AztecWarrior
Lightbulb Collector

Yes, or so I'm told.
Old 2003-11-14, 08:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Nazsteph
Private

I dont want to ruin a story that you all seem to like but I think my meger skills have lead you the wrong way. But, then again its only a first draft so it has much room for improvement. So, only read on if you dont mind some minor changes to your currenly held beliefs about the story.

99% Human.

Kathra stared at the report unable to think, unable to fully grasp what the Vanu Sovrienty had done.

99% Human.

They were no longer trying to emulate the Vanu, they were now trying to become the Vanu. This alien creature was 99% human, that other 1% of their DNA produced some very striking changes.

The shear complexity of that 1% awed Kathra. In his entire carrier he had never seen anything like it. But, even DNA was not the extent of their changes.

They had introduced several small organs into its body. These organs seemed to replace the implants commonly found in any battlefield soldier. But these organs didnt have an implants weaknesses, they werent powered and therefore couldnt be shut down by an EMP blast. The only drawback was that the organs put a much larger load on the body. Which was the reason behind the intense thermal picture even when the organs wernt in use.

Kathra could only believe that the Vanu Sovrienty was only in the first stages of testing or he would have heard about this much sooner. But, if this was just a prototype working alone he shuddered to think what an entire platoon of these things could do. Alpha Company was almost totally wiped out, the best the Terran Republic could produce and was nearly destroyed by one, albeit increadable, soldier.

Still Kathra could believe this comming from the Vanu Sovrienty, it was only a matter of time. But, it was the memo attached to the report that truly had him dumbfounded. The Terran higher ups wanted Kathra to start a program using what they knew about the creature to augment their own soldiers. This Top Secret project was to be his top priority, and he was to concider all Terrans from this day forward as volunteers. They wanted a field ready model in four weeks.

Kathra needed a drink...
Old 2003-11-15, 05:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Gigabein
Sergeant Major

If you're really feeling saucy throw the NC into this story, too.
Old 2003-11-15, 08:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
NewCong. Marine
Master Sergeant

Interesting....
Old 2003-11-15, 10:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Kikinchikin

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide 2 Media > Fan Fiction