Blank Screen Problem! =( - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: So, will I get paid for this quote?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2003-11-17, 01:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
sandmtrailboss
Sergeant

Blank Screen Problem! =(

Yesterday when I was on my computer my dad was messing around with the house fuse box and accidentaly turned the whole house power off including my computer. Then I just pressed the power button to make sure the computer didnt come back on when my dad turned the power back on. I went to the garage to make a bracket for a fan to cool my video card. After i went back to my computer and switched one of my 2 sticks of memory to another dual channel slot and then put my video card back in. I reset the bios to defualt becuase of the memory slot change. I turn on the computer and not really paying attention to the screen I press delete to enter the bios but as i turn around towards the screen i see something about the memory, I assume it was becuase of the slot change but anyways I set the bios the only change being I set the fsb to 133mhz from 100mhz which i have done many times. Then I save and restart and thats now when ever I start my computer the monitor light is orange now instead of green with a nice blank screen. i tried useing a differant monitor but its the same problem so i eliminated that. I also put my monitor thew the onboard video and its the same problem so I know my video card isnt screwed. I have tried taking the bios battery out over night and also reseting the bios overnight. Any help for this problem is greatly appreciated.

Add: Instead of a green light on my case its red. (I assume thats bad lol)

Last edited by sandmtrailboss; 2003-11-17 at 01:54 PM.
Old 2003-11-17, 02:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Daleon
Second Lieutenant

Did you see what the multiplier was set to when you upped the fsb? It sounds like to high of an OC, in which case clearing CMOS should work. If you actually did this and not just took the battery out and unplugged the ps then not sure... Did you try putting the memory back in the slots you had it in first? Might be a bad slot. Or may have accidently sent a charge through the memory and could be bad now. I would try 1 stick in each slot, and then the other stick in each slot.
Old 2003-11-17, 03:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
TheRagingGerbil
Contributor
Major

If you have an nforce board, hold down the Insert key as you start your pc. The bios will reset and let your pc boot.

Be sure to check your CPU voltages, multipliers, and bus speed. If one of these isn't at the recommended setting, you will have problems (unless you are OC'ing). THese things all get rest when you clear the bios.
Old 2003-11-18, 10:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
sandmtrailboss
Sergeant

Ack I forgot to list my specs, anyways my mobo doesnt have a multiplyer setting, when the bios are defualt the fsb is 100mhz. I dont think the insert key will work becuase I dont even see any lights working on the keyboard. But i'm at school right now so i'll have to check when I get home. Thanx for ur help guys =)

Specs Are..
Albatron KM18G Pro w/ nForce2
AMD 2600+ non barton
Dual channel hyper x (2x256)
ATI 9700 np
600w psu
Compaq hd

Add: Oh and I tried all differant combinations of memory in the slots and nothing had helped.

Last edited by sandmtrailboss; 2003-11-18 at 10:15 AM.
Old 2003-11-19, 08:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Daleon
Second Lieutenant

Ah, an NF2 mb without any multiplier settings??? I don't think so, even if its not in bios it has to have jumpers on the mb somewhere. If its only autodetect that would be insane, b/c not all AMD processors autodetect right.

Try and find another video card to test. Unless you can enable your onboard video with a jumper and not in bios and thats what you did.

Other than that, all I can tell you to do is rip that sucker apart TOTALLY and start over from scratch rebuilding it piece by piece.
Old 2003-11-19, 10:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
sandmtrailboss
Sergeant

I know for sure there are no multiplier settings in the bios. I read reviews on the mobo before buying and they all mentioned the board not haveing a multiplier setting. I'm positive its not the video card either becuse I took out my ati and plugged the monitor into onboard video and I get the same issue. Holding the insert key down during start up didnt work probably becuase I dont even get a keyboard light up response on start-up. A neighbor told me the mobo could have gotten grounded some how by maybe when inserting the video card back in or putiing and extra screw in the mobo attaching it too the case. So as of now my mobo, hd, and power supply are sitting on a piece of card board. I only have the necessary start up components in which I still get the same response. I'm starting to think its a cpu problem, I checked it but looks perfectly fine, not fried or anything. My neighbor really good with computers and hes got lots of extra components so I'm sure we can narrow this down. Thanks again for your guy's help.
Old 2003-11-19, 10:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Daleon
Second Lieutenant

Cough, new mb, cough. Even if its still good heh. Had you used the onboard video before by just unplugging the video card? Usually you have to set a jumper or get into bios to use it.

I would defintely try another cpu though as it sounds like the culprit.
Old 2003-11-19, 11:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
sandmtrailboss
Sergeant

Yup its the mobo. We tested everything, cpu , memory, and it came down to the mobo.My friend who helped me is a cool guy and he let me borrow his extra msi motherboard. MSI's have a pretty useful diagnostic tool. Thanx agian for all your help guys, I guess this was one of those had-to-have-been there fixes.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum