RAM! questions! - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: No, this isn't your quote either. Stop refreshing.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2003-12-01, 09:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Daleon
Second Lieutenant

I wouldn't say the most important part of a computer is the memory. Over the years dealing with hundreds of mbs and all kinds of issues, a quality mb makes all the difference. As far as performance importance goes though, I'd put the HD "quality" above Ram "quality." Quantity is a different story though.

Also PS wasn't all that CPU dependant back around beta... now the game actually runs about 10x worse than then either from graphic updates/cc, and server lag and over population that you truly need every single ouce of PC horsepower you can get. The game was easily playable on a 1ghz cpu with a decent video card then... now it would crawl.

As for original poster - Get the 2nd 512 stick of pc2700, and get a new AMD cpu. As high as your mb will support. This is prolly a $150 or less upgrade and should show a very very nice improvement.

Now spending about $500-550 or more on a new P4 mb/cpu and memory... you'll see a little more speed... but not huge, not even really big. Just b/c there is no such thing as a HUGE improvement when it comes to PS. Truly you can have a 4-8k setup and this game still bogs the .... down. So why bother.
Old 2003-12-01, 01:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
OneManArmy
Contributor
Lieutenant General

i dunno, if you have enough memory as to where page swapping (or whatever its called when it starts using your HD) never occours then your good to go. i still say if you have a decent cpu/ memory setup then spend the moeny on the gfx card.
Old 2003-12-01, 03:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Daleon
Second Lieutenant

Yea, but if you have a crappy mb, with crappy memory controllers and disk controllers and bus's, then no matter how much you spend on cpu, ram, or video card will mean jack crap.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum