PSU: Got MAX?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2003-12-12, 08:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Laeritides
Staff Sergeant

Playing with overclocking

I have a P4 1.4 and a abit th7-RAID MB. Last night I worked my 1.4 up to 1.6. It made a nice difference, upped my fps by about 5 over all. But I some how lost my sound I will have to look into that later. Next up I overclocked my Geforce 3 It has a core speed of 200 (199.8) I got it up to 214.1 with no problems (I got only stock cooling so I don't want to push it too hard). That combined with the CPU overclock got me about 10fps more all around except for massive zergs. I now get 2 - 15 in those, instead of .5 - 10. I have not been unable to move up the memory speed on my geforce 3. it is a 458 and will not go up. Oh well as soon as I figure out my sound problem with the CPU overclocking I will be able to run PS all the time with the OC system and that will be a nice lil improvement for now.

I also ordered my ATI 9600 xt yesterday. Can not wait for that to get in muuuhhhaaa. next month I am going to add another 512mb ram. Then I am going to save up for a faster processor.
Old 2003-12-12, 08:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Fragmatic
I LIVE IN ENGLAND

Are you using onboard sound on the motherboard?
[Hezzy]: gg
Old 2003-12-12, 09:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Laeritides
Staff Sergeant

Yep. AC'97 Digital Audio controller integrated. I started another thread to see what Sound cards I should look at getting. Is there a problem with onboard sound and OCing?
Old 2003-12-12, 09:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

that happend to me a couple of times when i tried to push it a bit too far, i am using integrated right now to.
You my want to bump it down a mhz or so and see if that makes a difference. And restart is a couple of times.

I find is very hard to play games without sound, and would not sacrafice that for a little bit of extra FPS The 3d effects help you place gunshots and know what direction your eemy is coming form.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2003-12-13, 04:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Fragmatic
I LIVE IN ENGLAND

Just get a SoundBlaster 1024 Live! for bout $30, does the job better than AC97 and takes the strain off the cpu
[Hezzy]: gg
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum