Lancer Pwnz - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: don't you open that trap door!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2004-01-05, 11:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Katanaboy
Master Sergeant

I think his point was that you die much less with a phoenix than with a lancer. Regardless of how far away you are, you'd statistically die more when using a lancer than a phoenix. With a line of sight to your enemy, it means they have a line of sight to you, thus you can get shot. Probably not gonna happen at that sort of range, but possible. With the phoenix, you can hide behind a base wall and still land shots onto your target, and even though it takes long to kill/reload, you can do so in the relative safety that none of the other weapons gives you.
Old 2004-01-05, 11:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
SandTrout
Contributor
The one, the only

Phoenix leaves you vunerable to many things that the lancer does not. You have absolutely no connection with your boddy while in flight with the missile, meaing you dont know you're geting shot, or have any idea what's around you.

In addition, the phoenix does not have the handleing of even a mosquito. You need some clearance to be able to turn towards your target if you're right up against a wall.

The lancer forces you to have LOS, but allows you to react to changeing conditions, like that guy comeing toward you with an MCG, or the infiltrator placeing a boomer under your ass.
Old 2004-01-05, 11:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Veteran
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

N3rf teh Lancare!11

j/k.. It's good to see someone praise a piece of tech.

"Blessed are those who Hunger and Thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied." - Jesus Christ

PlanetSide player, retired
Old 2004-01-06, 09:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Krinsath
Sergeant Major

The lancer is probably the best of the AV weaponry, even after getting it's AI damage taken away (back then, it was the only weapon you'd use). It requires a bit of skill to get the shots to hit right, but I think all the AV weapons require that to an extent. As the original poster mentions though, it's not all that great indoors.

I don't understand why people think the Lancer sucks though. Everything on it works just like it's supposed to. Not like the Striker that can't get a lock on the tank that's twenty feet away and not moving (which we keep hearing will be fixed...) or the Phoenix that makes you sniper bait (Trust me, I know...I look for Phoenix users when I'm sniping ). The weapon is lethal, and when combined with a range magnifier is quite good at clearing off any MAX suit that's foolish enough to set foot outside. Takes down wall turrets rather quickly on it's own and can even do a decent amount of damage to the tanks with it's quick time to target.

The only thing it DOESN'T do well is close quarters battle...and the Phoenix blows chunks just as badly in that one. So take your pulsar or what have you and rely on agility to get behind the MAX and take them out...you're probably VS if you're using a lancer so you really don't have to worry about the manueverability of the enemy MAX.
Old 2004-01-06, 09:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
TeraHertz
Major

Originally Posted by EVILoHOMER
and after u shot 1 clip of the lancer ur dead so it sucks
Favoutire:

Extended AV.
Dual Lancer, rexo, med tool (adv med) Pulsar. The rest is Lancer ammo.

Welcome to a whole new world of pain

12 shots, no reload >
Old 2004-01-06, 09:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Madcow
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by SandTrout
Phoenix leaves you vunerable to many things that the lancer does not. You have absolutely no connection with your boddy while in flight with the missile, meaing you dont know you're geting shot, or have any idea what's around you.

In addition, the phoenix does not have the handleing of even a mosquito. You need some clearance to be able to turn towards your target if you're right up against a wall.

The lancer forces you to have LOS, but allows you to react to changeing conditions, like that guy comeing toward you with an MCG, or the infiltrator placeing a boomer under your ass.
I started up an NC Emerald character specifically to try out the Phoenix, and in the right situations the danger level is almost zero. At one point I was alive about an hour just pounding Phoenix missiles outside the base we were defending and wiping VS MAXs off of a neighboring mountain.
When those situations don't arise, the Phoenix user is vulnerable but in larger groups of Phoenix users and snipers they still have pretty good odds statistically of surviving. My VS MAX got wasted by Phoenix users so many times I now go out of my way to watch the HUD and pinpoint where the red lines are coming from. The alt mode on the knife was made for the Phoenix user.
Old 2004-01-06, 09:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
TheRagingGerbil
Contributor
Major

I have seen an increased usage of the Lancer over the last week or so. Used to be I could rocket spam to my hearts content when there were no Starfires around...not anymore.

I have even seen enough that I have started looting them again.
Old 2004-01-06, 10:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
_-Gunslinger-_
First Sergeant

A weapon is only good if it fits your playstyle. So if sitting back and sniping is your play style you would probably have the Boltdriver. However if you want to kill the vehicles you use a lancer in the same fassion. If your a grunt who likes the front lines you prolly have the pulsar or lasher. If you were to cert AV and play it like HA your are going to suck. So its not a question of wether or not a weapon is good its a question of "Does it fit your play style?"
Old 2004-01-06, 01:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Lithpope
Corporal

I like the Lancer almost as much as my Stirker and is some situations, better ( great for sniping turrets). It is a good weapon, too bad it is not carried much, I would loot more of them and thier ammo if it was.
Old 2004-01-06, 02:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Mudflap
Sergeant

I had a VS character with lancer, AMS, CE, and sniper certs. I'd deploy an AMS in a good sniper position, set up deployables, and start the lightshow. If I had 2-3 more people with sniper and AV certs, we'd be tearing everything apart. If you like long range, get AV as VS. I could turn back troops with sniper and deployables, and turn back most vehicles, mainly by being on a steep hill with deployables everywhere, and by shooting them. You are vulnerable to the long range missile barage from a reaver of course, but who isn't?
Old 2004-01-06, 03:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
dscytherulez
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by _-Gunslinger-_
A weapon is only good if it fits your playstyle. So if sitting back and sniping is your play style you would probably have the Boltdriver. However if you want to kill the vehicles you use a lancer in the same fassion. If your a grunt who likes the front lines you prolly have the pulsar or lasher. If you were to cert AV and play it like HA your are going to suck. So its not a question of wether or not a weapon is good its a question of "Does it fit your play style?"
Heh, well said.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion