PSU: Thongs are for free if your on PSU staff. No fair :(
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2004-01-24, 12:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
dscytherulez
Lieutenant Colonel

Video Setting Meanings?

Ok, I decided to really test out my system and OC'ed my Radeon 9800 pro. I'm wondering about all the vid settings in PS. Maybe you guys can help?

1) What is the major difference between high and med texture detail/particle settings? I didn't notice hardly any change.

2) What is vertical sync?

3) Whats the big difference between triple buffering and double?

4) What are all those toggles for in the advanced settings? Does it automatically select the best for your machine? Right now all of them are unchecked but I saw no difference in checking any of them on high settings.
Old 2004-01-24, 01:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Daleon
Second Lieutenant

You should be able to see a difference between textures when you look at the ground. I think med is usually good enough. Particles, if you play DaoC you know what particles are. Not as big a deal as I'm not sure what really does alot of particles in PS besides maybe some of the blasts. But they can really eat up frames.

Vsynch - synch's your max fps to your monitor's refresh rate. Most monitors out there have a 60hz or so refresh so it caps your fps to 60. If you got a good monitor with a fast refresh you won't have any problems. If you turn it off you might get whats called clipping but you won't be fps limited.

The whole triple buffer thing is bogus to me, I can't tell a difference unless I am looking at screenshots and look really hard. Dbl is fine, just IQ.

All my adv are off also, and I've got a fairly haus system. They just don't really add anything to be worth turning on. I prefer to maintain 30+ fps in major zerg!
Old 2004-01-25, 01:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
cloudj110589
Corporal

whats IQ?
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum