PSU: Shizzolate this thang!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2004-03-02, 06:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
I Hate Pants
General

sound cards and speakers

Alright, so I need to buy new speakers because when the sound gets too loud my speakers start to make a fizzing sorta sound. Pretty annoying. Any suggestions? Atleast under 100 bucks (Canadian).

Secondly im thinking of getting a sound card for my computer. Right now im using the 5.1 sound system integrated onto my MoBo. My question is will I hear a difference in sound when I upgrade?

Also I don't have surround sound speakers. Should I stil consider upgrading to a sound card? I just want my games to sound cooler and better. I don't care much about surround sound.

Last edited by I Hate Pants; 2004-03-02 at 12:47 PM.
Old 2004-03-02, 08:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Phaelon
Master Sergeant

You could buy an audigy 2 from www.newegg.com OEM for 55 bucks american.

Speakers are a different boat, I only know about expensive ones, go to www.tomshardware.com or www.firingsquad.com or www.hardocp.com to find out more information about it. If you want some of the best computer speakers you will ever experience and the best speakers toms hardware has ever reviewed, buy the Creatve Gigaworks.
Old 2004-03-02, 10:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Ait'al
Contributor
General

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...=BROWSE&depa=1 Audigy 2 ZS Gamer - 130$

If you can afford this and dont have the games in it i just found a limited edition gamer version of the Audigy 2 Zs platinum. It comes with Halo2 one of the jedi games, tomb rader, and 3 others. If you can afford it and dont have those games already you might like this. You can check out the other Version of the Audigy 2. I think its better to get the ZS version though. It will only be about 130 for either version unless you get the Platinum Pro version, wich is 209.

Both the ZS Platinum, the ZS gamer, and the regular ZS are the same model number, SB0350.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...=BROWSE&depa=1 Audigy 2 ZS retail 90$

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...=BROWSE&depa=1 Audigy 2 ZS Platinum, NM its 170$ - retail

There are also the OEM versions of the older cards like Phaelon mentioned. There cheaper but the 90-130 seems like a good deal to me.

Go to newegg and look at There JBL selection. There are some damn nice looking little 2.1 speakers there and newegg has them for around 70 dollars compared to the 100 i see most of the time. These were the speakers i was going to try to buy for an xbox setup before i got set on trying to get some 7.1 for my comp and routing it throught there. The 2.1 Jbl creature speakes are really cool looking and have touch volume control etc on the front of hte subwofer. They look really awesome. And have might have a sound responsive ligh system out the botom. OR atleast a cool green light affect or something.

Edit: Ok, nm. The creature speakers are 80 to about 92. There are the first versions of the creature speakers that cost more and then the a couple versions of the creature speakers 2. I wonder if the 2s are more cost affective versions. I havent looked at the difference between them but im not really an expert on speakers. Youll have to ask what the difference is. You can check them out at www.JBL.com too. or just go into their description on newegg and hit product link under the picture.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...=BROWSE&depa=1 Regular Creature speakers. - silver

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...=BROWSE&depa=1 Creature speakers 2 - grey

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...=BROWSE&depa=1 Creature speakers 2 - white

JBLs site has like 7 versions of these all with slightly different features or something. Im not sure what there difference is. But some are named stereo or surround and some are called some other things.

Last edited by Ait'al; 2004-03-02 at 11:23 AM.
Old 2004-03-02, 01:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Phaelon
Master Sergeant

The Logitech Series of new speakers is pretty good as well, around like 50 dollars for a nice 2.1 piece set.
Old 2004-03-02, 03:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

I have an Audigy 2 ZS (base, just the card) and an Altech Lansing $50 set of 2.1's
I used to use onboard but the ZS realy made a huge difference, as well as an FPS difference

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-03-02, 06:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
I Hate Pants
General

Originally Posted by Rbstr
I have an Audigy 2 ZS (base, just the card) and an Altech Lansing $50 set of 2.1's
I used to use onboard but the ZS realy made a huge difference, as well as an FPS difference
How much of an fps increase????

Can I get the Audigy 2 ZS without all those games???? I already have Halo.
Old 2004-03-02, 06:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

a few, mostly becasue Onboard was using CPU and my CPU only has so much to give, you would probably see less improvment, its was like 5 PS fps for me.

mine didn't come with halo damn...

buy an OEM version those only have the drivers(if even that)

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum