turning off background programs - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: We Won't Screw You Over....Really..
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2004-03-03, 02:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
I Hate Pants
General

computer running slower!!!!!!!!!!

Okay so suddenly im getting a 20 fps drop in PS????? I went from having 60 fps in sanc. to have 39 fps the next week. I've downloaded a few things lately, so I wanna see if I turn them off that PS will run normally again. ( KAZZA, Steam, etc.)

I forgot what exactly it is you type in "Run". Its like dx something... right?

I doubt its my computer as I've said before I never had such poor fps before. But just incase here are my specs:

768mb of DDR PC3200 400
ATI RADEON 9600XT 128MB
P4 2.6Ghz 800fbs
ASUS P4P800 (using onboard 5.1 sound device)
40GBB HD

Last edited by I Hate Pants; 2004-03-03 at 03:31 PM.
Old 2004-03-03, 02:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Phaelon
Master Sergeant

Get Spybot Search and destroy, run a thorough test.
Get Adaware by Lavasoft - run a thorough test.

After that all the spyware from Kazaa should be gone and you should be okay.

For future notes, don't download Kazaa on a main machine, it messes things up big time. If you have to download Kazaa, download Kazaa THEN download Diet K so that Kazaa is kept in control.

BTW when you run spybot, it will delete things necessary for Kazaa to function unless you watch for them.
Old 2004-03-03, 03:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
I Hate Pants
General

I find all of my games are running slower now. Also I have kazza lite. Which doesn't have spybot. Not to mention I said that I've never had this problem before. Only started happening last weekend.
Old 2004-03-03, 03:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
I Hate Pants
General

yeah I just downloaded spybot search and destroy. It did very little to help me. It would search half way through my computer and than freeze. It wasn't even able to fix half the stuff it found. And it made my computer start up slower. What a piece of shit!

Can someone please tell me how I turn off background programs????
Old 2004-03-03, 03:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Phaelon
Master Sergeant

Haha if spybot froze half way through its run, you got bigger problems dude.

if you are thinking of msconfig, it does not work as well as it used to

Start -> run -> msconfig

In all tech honesty, you should not use msconfig to change that stuff. Further more if you right click your bottom bar and go to task manager it will tell you what current programs are running.

For your info, Kazaa lite does install some spyware, sorry man its not perfect.

And funny how you call it a piece of shit, it is rated the best spyware program out to date.

Ever defrag your hard drive? how are your partitions handled? how do your temp files handle themselfs?
Old 2004-03-03, 06:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
dscytherulez
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by I Hate Pants
yeah I just downloaded spybot search and destroy. It did very little to help me. It would search half way through my computer and than freeze. It wasn't even able to fix half the stuff it found. And it made my computer start up slower. What a piece of shit!

Can someone please tell me how I turn off background programs????
I have this problem on my other computer. Does it freeze on a file called "c2.lop" (or something similar)? I don't understand why it does this, but when I run it on this computer it also goes through c2.lop, and it goes slow, but it doesn't freeze. On my other, I left it go for like an hour and it was still there, so I'm assuming there is something wrong.
Old 2004-03-03, 08:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Phaelon
Master Sergeant

Restart the computer in Safe mode and run it again, or Tell it to run before windows boots.
Old 2004-03-03, 10:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Ait'al
Contributor
General

I Hate Pants. Is there anything happening when your computer is going slowly. The HDD light flickering etc. What do you see happening. There may be a simpler solution to all this. When was the last time you defragged? And were you thinking of DXdiag. you said DX....

I forgot what exactly it is you type in "Run". Its like dx something... right?

But give a general description of what happens now that its slower and what it did or didnt do before it was slow. What have you noticed change?

And if the spyware thing you ran was Adaware. It can look like its not doing anything when it searches bigger files. The number will stop for a while and them jump really far or start up again. Its doing a direct search of your system and is running into a lot of different types and sizes of files that can cause it to seem like it runny funny. When i run it on mine it always seems like its stopped on C:\Windows\Systems.. and the number of files stops going up, but its just going over some larger files or a larger file and just isnt showing enough of the file path for it to look like it is doing anything. Run a simpler search first then do the custom and turn everything on. It will save you time when you do the larger one.

Last edited by Ait'al; 2004-03-03 at 11:05 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum