PSU: We love to see you respawn
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2004-03-10, 05:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Phaelon
Master Sergeant

PCI-Express, Toms hardware style.

If you reside in this forum, then you like me read www.tomshardware.com on a daily basis . . . okay maybe just I do. Here is an article talking about PCI-Express in more detail and about how it will shape graphics in the future to come.

http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/20040310/index.html
Old 2004-03-10, 06:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Phaelon
Master Sergeant

Sum up

Basically what Toms hardware is saying, is that PCI-Express is to new to really understand the impact it will have.

NVdia has a new card coming out with a HSI bridge on it, this seems more to inhibit and make the traffic on the card slower. The card is however faster than AGP8x but it is not as fast as PCI-Express can handle.

UNtil summer we won't see native PCI-Express Graphics cards and then we might see the difference. Like toms hardware says, games are written for the bandwidth available to them. SO when you look at a game in PCI-Express, you might not see that much more, even tho it is doing Twice what AGP8X would be doing.

As I said before I am excited about BTX, it is about time the industry made something architectually correct and conformed to one standard.
Old 2004-03-10, 06:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

BTX is cool and all , but i don't want to get a new case for the stupid mobo, i put some work into this one

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-03-11, 12:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Ait'al
Contributor
General

If you reside in this forum, then you like me read www.tomshardware.com on a daily basis
No i subscribe to the newsletter. You should get on it. that was a story from two emails ago. 8) It should be right on the front page.

NM. different article. hehe

Last edited by Ait'al; 2004-03-11 at 12:50 AM.
Old 2004-03-11, 02:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Fragmatic
I LIVE IN ENGLAND

The only thing I hate about THG is that they get payed off by Intel... there was an article on there a month or two back basically saying "yes, I love intel... I hate AMD, screw you!" and it caused a shitload of controversy.
[Hezzy]: gg
Old 2004-03-11, 02:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Sputty
Banned

Tomshardware is really biased IMO. They're also biased toward nVidia and draw whatever conclusions they can and say anything pro nvidia they can even when it's just them pulling it out of their ass.
Old 2004-03-11, 05:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Phaelon
Master Sergeant

Well, here is the thing, they can be that way, and say what they like, being Biased, but they have facts, and scientific facts above that. Thier benchmarks are done analytically and thier charts and graphs are all based upon facts. To me facts are more important than thier opinion.

If you look at thier opinion yeah they are slightly biased towards intel and nvdia, but they still represent the otherside fairly in thier tests.

I have yet to see one test that could be argued as being biased, they are all done from an equal prespective for all parties involved.
Old 2004-03-11, 09:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Fragmatic
I LIVE IN ENGLAND

Originally Posted by Phaelon
Well, here is the thing, they can be that way, and say what they like, being Biased, but they have facts, and scientific facts above that. Thier benchmarks are done analytically and thier charts and graphs are all based upon facts. To me facts are more important than thier opinion.

If you look at thier opinion yeah they are slightly biased towards intel and nvdia, but they still represent the otherside fairly in thier tests.

I have yet to see one test that could be argued as being biased, they are all done from an equal prespective for all parties involved.
You work for them don't you? *grabs Cycler*
[Hezzy]: gg
Old 2004-03-11, 10:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Phaelon
Master Sergeant

Haha no, I am a network engineer for an IT firm in wisconsin. I enjoy the scientific evidence Toms hardware brings to the table. Same with Anandtech.com. Both sites understand that science will prove whether something is really what it says to be or not.
Old 2004-03-11, 11:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Marsman
Major

I agree - stick to the facts TH presents - take their opinion with a grain of salt and form your own conclusion. It's still a great site for picking up the latest hardware news and getting comparison data.
Old 2004-03-12, 01:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

Er, as for PCI Express, I think its SO frigging unnecessary right now. Hardly any applications can even utilize the bandwidth of 8x AGP right now. I feel bad for the people who are going to go out and buy PCI Express the day its released, getting a new mobo and vid card, only to discover that there arent any games that can take advantage of it yet. I'm stickin to my AGP 8x and Radeon 9800 PRO for a few more years until games that can actually USE that bandwidth come out.

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!

Last edited by Electrofreak; 2004-03-12 at 01:55 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum