PSU: Where vehicular manslaughter isn't a crime, it's grief
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2004-03-12, 01:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
lazybratsche
Private

Another quick RAM question

I'm planning on upgrading my current machine (Athlon XP 2200, 512mb RAM, cheapass mobo, and Ti4200) with a new mobo, processor, and memory. This time I plan on overclocking, so I'll probably get a 2500+ and a good overclocking motherboard (I'm thinking the Abit NF7. I have a pretty powerful watercooling rig, so I can probably break 200mhz FSB without a problem. The question I have is for the memory. Should I get 512mb really fast, low-latency, dual channel RAM that will definately run at 1:1 with the FSB when (if?) I pass 200mhz FSB, or should I get 1gig of the cheapest brand-name PC3200 RAM I can find, and potentially run it at a 5:4 ratio?
Old 2004-03-12, 01:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

Well... it matters. If you want the best performance out of Planetside, go with the one gig. If you want to OC the best, go with the higher performance stuff with nice timings. Typically, the cheapo stuff will run just as well as the high performance stuff at SPD, but if you want to overclock your RAM (and also try to keep a 1:1 ratio with your CPU FSB), you will probably want the high quality stuff. The gamer side of me is saying "tell him to just get the 1 gig of cheapo RAM" but the OCer side of me is saying "screw that, he can OC his machine the best with the fancy stuff." So really, its your decision...

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!

Last edited by Electrofreak; 2004-03-12 at 01:29 PM.
Old 2004-03-12, 01:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Phaelon
Master Sergeant

More ram is always a much better idea, but getting any cheapo memory is unacceptable for a gamer. If you are going to do this, you need to get 1 gig of Kingston, Corsair or menshkin memory. That is just the way it goes, fork over the dough and you will be so much happier in the long term.
Old 2004-03-12, 02:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

OCZ's new stuff is preaty good aswell

also i would goe with the ASUS NF2 bourd Atnx7 or something like that, most people say its the best out there

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-03-12, 02:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

Well Phaelon, he said "cheapest brand-name" so I assumed he meant something like Kingston Value RAM.

Yeah, for gaming you don't want NO-NAME RAM... but cheaper brand name stuff works fine at SPD. Again tho, if you are really looking for the best OC results, go with the expensive low-latency fancy stuff.

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!

Last edited by Electrofreak; 2004-03-12 at 02:15 PM.
Old 2004-03-12, 03:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Phaelon
Master Sergeant

haha snap, so true, i didn't read that, I thought he was referring to no-name memory, and i was about to slap you, but tousche, you are victorious good sir.
Old 2004-03-12, 04:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
dscytherulez
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Phaelon
More ram is always a much better idea, but getting any cheapo memory is unacceptable for a gamer. If you are going to do this, you need to get 1 gig of Kingston, Corsair or menshkin memory. That is just the way it goes, fork over the dough and you will be so much happier in the long term.
Lol, you mean Mushkin?
Old 2004-03-12, 06:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Phaelon
Master Sergeant

Yes, yes indeed I do, man snap.
Old 2004-03-14, 03:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
lazybratsche
Private

I'm looking mostly for a cheap upgrade that I can squeeze a lot out of... I really don't care about having the highest FSB on the block. The difference between the low latency, high speed stuff and budget PC3200 RAM seems pretty insignificant in real-world apps... and I think I'd see a much bigger improvement with more memory (especially for Planetside!). I'll probably go with the 1 gig of cheaper stuff, mostly likely the Corsair value select.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum