Old beta tester thinking of trying PS again - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I'm dating your mom.......SIKE!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2004-03-19, 11:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Lockdown
Private

Question Old beta tester thinking of trying PS again

I was a long term beta tester and played for a couple of weeks but cancled my account before the first billing cycle. I left for the same reason so many did at the begining because their was no way to "win" (like the majority of testers pleaded to change at least in one server!) but instead the devs voted a system that made us feel like we just went in useless circles. We eneded up feeling that all our efforts were for nothing. Killing someone or capturing a base meant nothing to the "big" picture. But I loved the graphics and potential this game held!

Is their any reason to try the game since I left? I remember some awesome big battles but for the reasons listed above felt there were not worth the monthly fee.

*Please do not think I am trying to flame if that is your impression. I am telling my feeling that many of us felt and wonder if anything now would appease those?

Thank you.

S!

www.SGHQ.com
Old 2004-03-19, 11:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Krinsath
Sergeant Major

Is there a way to "win" the game and end the war? Of course not...that would mean the game was over and what fun would that be?

They did implement a new gameplay style centered around "Capitol Bases" which grant you "Dominion" over a continent. It provides an objective to assault, and due to the mechanisms employed helps reduce zerging (you can't assault this base until three of the "sub-capitol bases" are under another empire's control and those hacks must be HELD, so the big group of guys steamrolling isn't quite as effective as it used to be. Still works, but not AS much.

They've also done away with static warpgates in sanc, and by extension the idea of "home" continents being the same. You can use the Santuary WGs to get to any WG on a dominated continent (i.e. - you control the capital) and onto the WGs of continents connected to that continent. In other words, if Hossin was normally three continents away and that's where you wanted to fight and your empire dominated the two continents between sanctuary and hossin, you could go straight to hossin. Little more complex, but also restores the idea of getting a bunch of Galaxies together instead of just HARTing everywhere.

Some other new features added as well, but I don't know if they address the reason you left in the first place.
Old 2004-03-19, 11:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
teratravp
Corporal

I'm in your same position lockdown...

I'm on a 7-day trial...

nothing is different...

I'll definitely be subscribing, at least for a month.

You know you want to, that's what it comes down to. I used to go nuts about what PS DOESN'T have, but I finally realized I've been peeking over my shoulder all these months at it cause I love what it does have. I love squads, love base caps, love cont locking, love fighting for my empire's daily win. The daily world map winner does help a bit towards that win feeling. (Except for I think is a flaw they should correct in that the winner is the person with the most bases at the time the day ends, instead it should definitely be the person who's held the most bases for the most amount of time, not just last minute hacks) But it is the same game it's always been, and worth playing once in awhile imo.
Old 2004-03-19, 11:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
GreyFox
First Sergeant

There is no way to "Win" like you mean. But there is daily winners (as in who had the most percentage), there I like www.planetsidestats.com way of showing Primetime winners the best.

And with the new Capitals there is more effort to taking the continents. Which makes it feel more rewarding.

Myself I count the win basis on a per Base basis, and a per continent basis. To capture a continent where both sides are poplocked is a rewarding effort. Same to capture or defend a facility where it's pretty even.
Old 2004-03-19, 11:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

also, new population locks (only 33% of each empire allowed onto a cont at a time) results in longer, more even battles, instead of an empire filling a continent, doing a sweeping zerg, and moving on to the next. It makes capturing a continent a bit more rewarding as well because the fight is more equal and fair.

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!
Old 2004-03-19, 11:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Lockdown
Private

Thanks for the replies.

"Is there a way to "win" the game and end the war? Of course not...that would mean the game was over and what fun would that be?"

Like in WWIIOL, you fight for months on a huge map and either the axis of allies win. The map resets and the fun repeats. You would not just turn the game off

www.SGHQ.com
Old 2004-03-19, 12:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Vis Armata
Contributor
Sergeant Major

S! Lockdown.

There is no definite "endgame" like what you're used to in the WWIIOL portal, but there are more tangilble reasons to capture bases and lock continents now. Facilities give certain benefits to other bases which can be cut off, locked continents allow forces to move directly from Sanctuary to the front, etc. Planetside has evolved into a much more tactical game than it was in beta.

Download that 7-day trial and join up with BG Hornet (or Stinger if you're into air operations). I think you'll like it.
Old 2004-03-19, 12:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
oddfish
Colonel

in my oppinion, it's definitely worth coming back to. damn game has improved much JUST over the past month.. i can't wait to see the cool new goodies we get in the next few.

My Blog
[20:19] <Phobos> oddfish: Glad to see you, now help me move this dead body.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion