Is 3rd person cheap? - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: [Insert Witty Comment Here]
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

View Poll Results: Is 3rd person PoV cheap?
Yes 7 15.56%
No 32 71.11%
I don't care, shutup, leave me alone. 5 11.11%
Teflon > * 1 2.22%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2004-03-19, 08:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
Madcow
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Eldanesh
Its really not that hard to see infiltrators in any view, 3rd person or otherwise. In fact, I don't know exactly what you mean when you complain about seeing infils without DL as a 3rd-person only kinda thing.
He just means that zoomed out in 3rd person an infil is much easier to spot against textures (indoors) than he would normally be. Perhaps you would pick them out anyhow, but there are many people who wouldn't. Honestly, that doesn't concern me all that much but there is a point there.

I think that Darklight should be completely disabled in 3rd person. I've used it myself in the past, but it makes absolutely no sense to be able to do an instant 360 degree scan to make sure no cloaker is coming up on you. Paranoid snipers can be near impossible to get to as all they have to do is quickly toggle third person, flick Darklight, toggle back to first person, take their shot, continue pattern. That's far more efficient than than the alternative. Plus, I think we'd see more use of Audio Amp if they did that and diversity in implants would please me.

Last edited by Madcow; 2004-03-19 at 08:30 AM.
Old 2004-03-19, 08:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
Krinsath
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Stellerence
I think it should stay, its a bit late to remove it now its a part of everyones play, seems to me the devs are listening to any random idea, in fact ideas i once laughed and thinking they were some kind of debate that would rise and fall are getting done, like removing surge (lets face it, it wont be used after). Switching Deci to AV (i benefitted though) and now removing third person view. I just wonder what other idea some-one brought up i can't remember, maybe it will be the crosshair nerf next?
Surge is not being removed. If they take out the ability to exploit using Surge and people stop using it, then that doesn't speak very highly about the wisdom of leaving it in. Surgiles will still exist though, will still be effective, and will finally be able to shake the mantle of being "exploiters" and "cheaters" that so many are quick to slap on them. Remember folks: Not every Surgile is an exploiter...it's just unfortunate that a large number of the exploiters are Surgiles.

Decimator always belonged in AV, never understood why it wasn't from the beginning. It's good against vehicles and MAXes, the things AV is designed to counter. What part of that switch DIDN'T make sense? Leaving it as SA is what didn't make sense, as SA was a no-brainer cert with everything else you got.

3rd person won't go away. They might limit it's usefulness indoors perhaps, but it'll still be there. Vehicle drivers at a minimum need it, especially Prowler drivers.
Old 2004-03-19, 08:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
Krinsath
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Madcow
I think that Darklight should be completely disabled in 3rd person. I've used it myself in the past, but it makes absolutely no sense to be able to do an instant 360 degree scan to make sure no cloaker is coming up on you. Paranoid cloakers can be near impossible to get to as all they have to do is quickly toggle third person, flick Darklight, toggle back to first person, take their shot, continue pattern. That's far more efficient than than the alternative. Plus, I think we'd see more use of Audio Amp if they did that and diversity in implants would please me.
Ok...yes, I totally agree with that part. Darklight should only work if you're in 1st person (since it's an implant in your EYE) but 3rd person as a concept should not be removed.
Old 2004-03-19, 09:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
SuperBallz
Corporal

[QUOTE=Eldanesh]Its really not that hard to see infiltrators in any view, 3rd person or otherwise. In fact, I don't know exactly what you mean when you complain about seeing infils without DL as a 3rd-person only kinda thing.QUOTE]

OK, U Hack A Tower Turn and hit 3rd person, ur safely out of sight.

INF see u capped tower and slows to a crawl cuz u may be coming down or ready for him to come up.

He Strafes to far left to see if ur on top of stairs, not aware nme is in 3rd person, and comtinues up stairs, opted not to through nade cuz it woulld give postion away, next think u know out pops nme mows him down.

Even in 3rd person te INF has no chance of seeing u.

This Is A First Person Shooter Not a 3rd Person Shooter.

And This Doesn't only happens to INFs but any suit, Gives a soldier time to pull deci and wipe out a MAX.

Just don't Seem Right.

Last edited by SuperBallz; 2004-03-19 at 09:40 AM.
Old 2004-03-19, 09:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
Krinsath
Sergeant Major

The cloaker example you use is somewhat valid, except that a soldier standing motionless and WAITING for the enemy could pick up on subtle clues, like the sound of footsteps or just a "smell" that the ionized air around a cloaker gives off. Neither of those possibilities (which occur often in real-life...minus the invisible guy part...but the fact that soldiers get some subtle clue that lets them spring an ambush unseen) are accounted for any other way.

Using DL in 3rd person is kind of cheap, but really, that's because you're using an eye enhancement in a 3rd person view...which is not your eyes. That's about the only change I'd make.

Simple rule in any tower fight, until you have secured the area, your weapon should be drawn. Simple practice. Once Surge exploiting in these situations is reduced, it won't be nearly as overpowering of a tactic as it is currently.
Old 2004-03-19, 09:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
Incompetent
Contributor
InComa

God, how could I be so misguided. I mean, actually wanting the defenders to have a chance, instead of rigging everything in the offenses favor. Fuck me, I'm an asshole, I can't even remember the the offense is always supposed to have the advantage or at the very least be on even ground. I keep forgeting that your not supposed to actually hold the ground you take, your just supposed to keep zerging in an endless circle.

Note, for you rather dim folks (you know who you are... well, at least the rest of us do) this post was intended as sarcasm

On a lighter note, is english your first language Superballz? Not trying to be insulting but there are alot more grammatical errors in there then your average post.

Edit: Third person darklight is cheap though, I agree.
Old 2004-03-19, 09:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
SuperBallz
Corporal

Talking

Understood.

Surge Being Removed Will Only Hurt True Exploiters Of The Warp-a-Kill.

And For JH Users, Don't Bring A Shotgun To A Sniper Fight,

If U Have To Close Ground Then Use Trees And Have REXO so u can have a long range weapon, Since surge is getting fixed.

I am Sure Everyone Will Adapt or they can go play Trophy Hunter 2003.

LOL

Sry, Didn't know we were Graded on Spelling :P

Last edited by SuperBallz; 2004-03-19 at 09:53 AM.
Old 2004-03-19, 12:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Lartnev
Contributor
Brigadier General

Hmmm, why has the topic decended into a surge debate
Old 2004-03-19, 12:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
oddfish
Colonel

ahem.. back on topic.. i'm still of the mind that adding lean and a way to turn one's head to the game would be great when playing as infantry. it's an elementary addition to any kind of FPS combat anymore. the only games that don't have it are the Quake and UT type games that involve less tactic and more SHOOTHEFUCKOUTOFEVERYONEOMFGKILLTHEMUHFUCKKAOMFGWT FOMFG!!!!111

My Blog
[20:19] <Phobos> oddfish: Glad to see you, now help me move this dead body.
Old 2004-03-19, 03:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Happy lil Elf
Contributor
Colonel

I consider it compensation for the immense lack of any kind of cool futuristic sensor thingys.

If I look at a contient I should not only be able to see how many enemies are in a particular SOI (that's number, not general size) but where they are in that SOI as well discounting cloakers of course. I should be able to target other aircraft using this impossibly futuristic thing known as a "HUD" and it should give me relevant target information. Advanced targeting shouldn't be an implant you get if you want to drive a vehicle, it's something that should come built into said vehicle.

[tangent]That and a decent radar for air fights would be nice, although until there's an actual flight engine it doesn't make a huge difference. Also, if you're not going to give me a radar that's worth a damn, could I maybe, just maybe look out of my cockpit in a direction other than straight forward? [/tangent]

Its eating it's food. (Incorrect use of apostrophes specifically for UV)
"Oni wont get banned, unless you get banned. Its a 2 man ticket."-Hamma to TekDragon re: his request to ban Oni. Life is good.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion