What ever happen to the shadow of Auraxis Movie? - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: RPG + Hamma + Shotgun = Dead RPG
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2004-04-09, 11:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Unless my settings are set too low to notice, vehicles only smoke when crippled. As for it taking only one missile to destroy, that would have been the most accurate way for it to happen (IRL you shouldnt even have time to bail from a vehicle that has a rocket heading fer it)

K, The vehicle wasnt immobile until it was 'disabled' (one big fatass clue would be the smoke and the not moving)

I've used a Marauder and it is a better transport than combat vehicle, but if that is what yer argument will be, you shoulda used a Lightning or another Harasser...

The part that made the least sense is why the NC left what appeared to be perfectly useful vehicles behind and only took the ANT...

So I'm the one thinking 'too much like the game'?

Old 2004-04-09, 12:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
drsomewhere
First Sergeant

I think you people should try to film a movie in planetside before you knock it. it is easy to sit back and type your criticism's, but you should at least check it out to justify your claims. If you all think its so easy, why dont you give it a go, Miir is not the only one who has access to FRAPS...

= Crack addict
Old 2004-04-09, 01:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Kaymon
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Sobekeus
The part that made the least sense is why the NC left what appeared to be perfectly useful vehicles behind and only took the ANT...
Again, real life combat. You don't capture enemy vehicles and use them, you destroy them and leave. IRL, they don't suddenly change color so friendlies won't shoot them. IRL, friendlies would see it and target it, seeing as it's manned enemy hardware. It's friend-and-foe recognition.

Originally Posted by drsomewhere
I think you people should try to film a movie in planetside before you knock it. it is easy to sit back and type your criticism's, but you should at least check it out to justify your claims. If you all think its so easy, why dont you give it a go, Miir is not the only one who has access to FRAPS...
Thank you. But.. Miir didn't use FRAPS.
Old 2004-04-09, 09:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Miir
Malvision

Yes we could argue back and forth about little issues with movies or gameplay. *shrugs*.... but what would that accomplish?

I take it by the lack of posts that there is no other movie series or large movie productions in the works.
Old 2004-04-09, 10:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Onizuka-GTO
Lieutenant Colonel

none at all. its so sad.

I love you, You love me, Lets go kill those dammn NC's With their jackhammer shotguns, And their Phoenix Missiles too, and make them wish they were barney's too.
Old 2004-04-09, 11:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
drsomewhere
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Kaymon

Thank you. But.. Miir didn't use FRAPS.
Sry, thats the only video making software i know of. i was trying to infer that anyone can find a program and try to make a mini-movie instead of just knocking the one person who does. And Miir, i thought the video was Awesome, no complaints here

= Crack addict
Old 2004-04-10, 12:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
LimpBIT
Lieutenant Colonel

was there more than one shadows of auraxis movie? I only have the first one.

Old 2004-04-10, 01:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
Kaymon
Master Sergeant

There was a trailer and Episode 1. That's where it was cut short.
Old 2004-04-10, 10:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
JetRaiden
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

http://www.malvision.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=484

I can understand miir for cutting it short. we had alot of problems filming, and had to reshoot scenes on more then 1 occation. and any bug the game had was magnifyed 10x because of the filming we did.
Old 2004-04-10, 10:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
Marsman
Major

First of all, I have the upmost respect for Miir and his movie making skills. The quality and production of his movies stand head and shoulders above all other efforts I've seen so far. But it seems to me that Miir might be a bit too much of a perfectionist for this. It's a GAME. I find the arguments about realism in the movie about as meaningless as realism within the game. Having an occational graphic glitch is well tolerated playing the game, so I don't see why PS movies need to have such an utter sense of perfection? I for one would be perfectly satisfied with a movie that isn't absolutely perfect as opposed to no movie at all. I realize Miir spent a bucketload of time on the first episode to bring it up to a level he was satisfied with. But I think the community would have been just as satisfied if it wasn't absolutely flawless. Those who love the game are tolerant of minor problems. Those who sit there and nit-pick each and every little glitch or problem simply have no life and way too much time on their hands. While Miir movies are truely impressive, I don't think the community is as demanding on quality as Miir himself appears to be. I could be wrong, but I get the sense that Miir feels that if he can't produce a movie to his standard of quality, then he'll "take his toys and go home" which is a shame as few projects ever approach Miir's cinematic perspective and feel. He has the cinematographer's eye and knows how to make a movie look good and in my opinion, that alone makes up for any short comings the game engine may have. Having seen the complaints from the production team on all the time it took to make episode 1, because of all the graphic problems, being less focused on making each scene look perfect would lighten the project load and 99% of the community would be perfectly satisfied with the results.
Old 2004-04-10, 10:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #41
JetRaiden
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Marsman
First of all, I have the upmost respect for Miir and his movie making skills. The quality and production of his movies stand head and shoulders above all other efforts I've seen so far. But it seems to me that Miir might be a bit too much of a perfectionist for this. It's a GAME. I find the arguments about realism in the movie about as meaningless as realism within the game. Having an occational graphic glitch is well tolerated playing the game, so I don't see why PS movies need to have such an utter sense of perfection? I for one would be perfectly satisfied with a movie that isn't absolutely perfect as opposed to no movie at all. I realize Miir spent a bucketload of time on the first episode to bring it up to a level he was satisfied with. But I think the community would have been just as satisfied if it wasn't absolutely flawless. Those who love the game are tolerant of minor problems. Those who sit there and nit-pick each and every little glitch or problem simply have no life and way too much time on their hands. While Miir movies are truely impressive, I don't think the community is as demanding on quality as Miir himself appears to be. I could be wrong, but I get the sense that Miir feels that if he can't produce a movie to his standard of quality, then he'll "take his toys and go home" which is a shame as few projects ever approach Miir's cinematic perspective and feel. He has the cinematographer's eye and knows how to make a movie look good and in my opinion, that alone makes up for any short comings the game engine may have. Having seen the complaints from the production team on all the time it took to make episode 1, because of all the graphic problems, being less focused on making each scene look perfect would lighten the project load and 99% of the community would be perfectly satisfied with the results.

I agree 100% after leaving PlanetSide as a primary filming tool, its becoming more and more difficult to find one that is up to the same level.
Old 2004-04-10, 11:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #42
Kaymon
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Marsman
I realize Miir spent a bucketload of time on the first episode to bring it up to a level he was satisfied with.
That's a real kicker. For me, I absolutely refuse to release anything that's of lesser quality than its predecessor. And Miir isn't the only one. Blizzard cancelled production of Warcraft Adventures for the same reason - the quality was lacking compared to its predecessors.

If reaching that level of quality requires more than you can give, you have to make a choice. And that choice will never please everyone. Some will bicker about loss of quality "he really dropped the ball with this one. he got lazy" or "WTF? It was looking so good and now nothing?".

I admit, I myself was disappointed when it was cancelled. I enjoyed working on it. But he chose quality over quantity.
Old 2004-04-10, 05:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Miir
Malvision

Thanks for the comments Marsman. I completely see your point. There has been a lot of speculation as to why it was cancelled and people heard bits and pieces of my concerns so they tended to put things together for me.

I was happy with PS as a filming medium minus the raping and bad timing that animation culling provide us with. (which made most of us bitter) I'm trying to back track now and clearly state that it wasn't so much issues with the game but the scale of the production that was too much. The minor issues with the game just added on a few re-takes.

The bottom line is still too much time for me. That's why I want to know if others have started any large productions so I could get an idea of the time they are investing and compare.

I can safely say that there has not been any other game movies made at the scale we made. That is something I'm proud of personally. The downside is before I started I had no idea how much time would be needed to create a project like this because it hasn't been done before. So I just jumped into it figuring it wouldn't be that bad. Unfortunately any preliminary figures I had for a reasonable schedule were killed in the first couple weeks.

So rather than kill myself I pulled the plug. I wanted to see the movie completed like anyone else. Just can't be done.
Old 2004-04-11, 05:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
MrPaul
Major

Ack nay! I downloaded the file, watched it, was totally engrossed then.. *freeze*. The film freezes at about 5-6 minutes through (as the NC Captain fires at the convoy) and then restarts. I've tried in DivX, Winamp, and Windows Media player and it happened every time, I did get the full file, just doesn't seem to want to go on. Just as it gets going! Has anyone else had this problem?

Also, I can't fast forward any part of the film, (on any player) so I can't quickly check if the problem will arise again, instead I have to watch the first 5 minutes again.

Last edited by MrPaul; 2004-04-11 at 05:59 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion