Planetside Engine update thread. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Damn you, monkey! Oh, damn you to hell!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2005-03-25, 12:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Tigersmith
Major

Misc Info
Planetside Engine update thread.

http://psforums.station.sony.com/ps/...sage.id=535895

Take a look see what you like about my examples
Old 2005-03-25, 01:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
FatalLight
Sergeant Major

Well I don't see too much of a problem with the graphics we have now, I mean what would they change? I mean like with the rat they have the hair effects and such but PS doesn't have anything of the sort. The only thing that could use some boosting graphically IMO is lighting... then again any exaples given might change my mind.

Last edited by FatalLight; 2005-03-25 at 01:51 PM.
Old 2005-03-25, 05:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by FatalLight
Well I don't see too much of a problem with the graphics we have now, I mean what would they change? I mean like with the rat they have the hair effects and such but PS doesn't have anything of the sort. The only thing that could use some boosting graphically IMO is lighting... then again any exaples given might change my mind.
The rat doesn't have a "hair effect", it has a higher polycount. That is what they could change. More detailed and intricate models would be possible if they decided to up the polycount.

Anyway, downloading new, higher polycount models and the textures to go with them would probably be impossible for them to manage with their current patching system. Like Everquest and other games, these better graphics would likely have to be tied to an expansion. And while it would be cool if PS looked better, there's always the performance of the game to worry about too. You can't make the game too much better looking without screwing people over during large battles.
Old 2005-03-25, 06:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Lartnev
Contributor
Brigadier General

Considering many people's PCs struggle with the current graphics in PlanetSide, upping the quality at this juncture may be a wasted effort
Old 2005-03-25, 07:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

I find the game looks good enough as is anyway. I'd like it if they let us customize our armor and vehicles a bit (I doubt they would, memory footprint getting bigger is probably not acceptable to them) or at least offer some other ways to vary the graphics of the game a bit to keep things fresh, but if not, no big loss. The graphics do what they're meant to do and aren't too high or too low quality.
Old 2005-03-26, 04:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Jeffey
Master Sergeant

Agree with the spec issue, as the game stands you have to have a totally decked out system that 99% of gamers can only dream of to enjoy max graphics in a large battle.

Running max settings, with 1 gig of ram and a brand spanking new radeon x800 pro, I still get a good deal of slowdown in zergs, cos i have a 1.82 p4 processor. Itll cost me another 100~ dollars to get a 2.4 (max my mobo can hold) to (maybe)enjoy maximum settings if i wish. To then upgrade what max settings would be would be overly unnecessary
Old 2005-03-26, 07:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

I'd rather have them work on other things then the graphics that need no improvements.
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion