Troops Riding On Tanks - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Where whoring is a sport.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2011-06-20, 01:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Re: Troops Riding On Tanks

A Mag rider with 4 troops with a Lancer just makes me want to camp in a tower instead of using my Van. That would snipe anything from a long distance and rape it before it could even get in range. Those poor prowlers would get decimated.

I do want to see this implemented though. Just limit the weapon that can be pulled out to MA only. Given you aren't strapped in and traveling 60 kmph doesn't make much sense that you can use a heavy AV weapon anyway.

Last edited by Goku; 2011-06-20 at 01:17 PM.
Old 2011-06-20, 03:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
I do want to see this implemented though. Just limit the weapon that can be pulled out to MA only. Given you aren't strapped in and traveling 60 kmph doesn't make much sense that you can use a heavy AV weapon anyway.
I could see that being too restrictive. I like the idea of seeing some MCGs on the back of a TR tank (MORE BULLETS!), or a team of snipers that can be moved quickly and easily.
Old 2011-06-20, 04:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

Halo had a system like this for the tank, would work well.

I wouldn't mind it being restricted to MA, but it feels a bit artificial... although make sitting on a vehicle in motion the same as shooting while running with relation to COF.

Just have set positions on logical vehicles; one or two on the front and back of a lightning, a handful on a Prowler and Vanny and just a few on a Mag.
Old 2011-06-20, 07:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by DviddLeff View Post
Halo had a system like this for the tank, would work well.

I wouldn't mind it being restricted to MA, but it feels a bit artificial... although make sitting on a vehicle in motion the same as shooting while running with relation to COF.

Just have set positions on logical vehicles; one or two on the front and back of a lightning, a handful on a Prowler and Vanny and just a few on a Mag.
I was just generalizing really. I just do not want to see AV weapons on them is really what I was getting at. Just make them be able to take damage and we're good. Open targets for snipers and vehicles in the field.
Old 2011-06-20, 11:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Sirisian
Colonel

I like the idea of an increased COF when moving. (Per weapon offset). Then if the vehicle isn't moving there would still be a slight COF increase (attributed to engine vibration or awkward shooting position). So you could still shoot with MA guns kind of. However, the problem I see is that striker and the NC AV weapon doesn't suffer from COF problems usually so this might just gimp only the lancer?

So looking at everything else I think it might be saner to artificially not allow AV weapons or rather only allow common pool weapons. Maybe pistol only because a player must hold on with one hand? (Not trying to gimp the idea I just don't want to see it only used by one faction. Almost about to say no shooting. You can jump off if you want to shoot?)

Last edited by Sirisian; 2011-06-20 at 11:53 PM.
Old 2011-06-21, 04:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

I think people shouldn't be shooting from the tanks at all.

It's in-a-pinch transport that should basically mean death in confrontations where they don't' dismount.
You'll note in all of those people-on-tanks pics, none of them are in combat.

And there's an issue with COF (not that PS's version of the COF is even acceptable in a modern game...). Some AV weapons are likely to be guided, so who cares about cof?

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

Last edited by Rbstr; 2011-06-21 at 04:55 PM.
Old 2011-06-21, 06:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
BorisBlade
First Lieutenant

You guys think there's not enough transport? Do you ever play TR? How many prowlers have the 15mm manned? Do you not see the sunderers with 90% of em runnin around with only the driver inside? Or how about the deliverers/variants that never have the passenger slots filled?

Honestly unless they do a better job of keeping people specialized so that there are less vehicles per person then there is no need for this since we dont even fill up what we have currently. Now if they do keep people specialized more, which i hope, then it could be a good idea to let em ride on the sides. However as i said earlier there are transports, they just need to be fixed so that they get used.
Old 2011-06-22, 04:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
CutterJohn
Colonel

A lot of people don't take the people movers, because there is zero incentive to do so. It is a completely unrewarded effort, with no experience provided. Plus the vehicles themselves are quite lackluster, needing 3 people to still be worse than a tank with two. Yes, even the Thunderer. If you had 6 people, 3 vans were better than 2 thundies in almost all circumstances.

Another issue is that people moving is simply not needed much. Most people find a ride as a gunner, and once at the next base are taken care of by the AMSs.

Things I would like to see..

Make the APC a viable machine on its own, such that people will want to cert it even if it couldn't move people. The fact that it has extra seats should be a secondary consideration. Perhaps place it as a prereq to tanks.

Make all vehicles that can reasonably accommodate extra seats do so. The ANT, AMSs, and Lodestars could have easily had extra seats.

Make all tanks optional 3 man vehicles with a nice machine gun turret up top, like the prowler. Give all tanks a coax machine gun as well, for the gunner to use. A third passenger is nice. Not necessary. BF2 tanks had this secondary gunner spot, and it was quite nice.

Make an infantry armor[s] suitable for outdoor use in the open field, that offers a very high level of mobility. Something similar to Tribes, though not quite so extreme, of course, so that infantry doesn't have to rely on vehicle transportation, like MAXs.

Allow AMSs to spawn a bind gizmo. The driver can place it at the last base, and then troops can bind to it remotely and spawn in to the AMS.

But hell, i'd just accept extra seats for all land vehicles. They don't even need to model it. I'd be fine with the ancient style phasing in if thats what it took. Supremely annoying to drive by a guy running in the middle of nowhere, unable to give him a ride.

Last edited by CutterJohn; 2011-06-22 at 04:55 PM.
Old 2011-06-24, 02:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

I've always thought the Enforcer should have a passenger seat next to the driver. Or it could be a 20mm Deli gun.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion