Please no one button kill quick knives in Planetside 2! - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: That'll do pig. That'll do.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-07-14, 12:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Re: Please no one button kill quick knives in Planetside 2!

Originally Posted by Kurtz View Post
I've beta tested BF games for almost a decade. I've been introducing DICE guys to Planetside for years. I think its great that PS2 devs are looking hard at BF and that Smed likes it so much. I've always used both as examples as to how each could be better.

BUT, the faster gameplay in PS2 concerns me. When I say faster gameplay I mean the potential for headshots, insta-knife-kills and even faster to action.

PS1 had a great "routine" of running into battle, getting injured, running out, taking cover and healing and repairing. Run in, run out, heal, repair repeat.

After playing the BF series for years (competively) where dolphin diving, Med pack spammin, and chain reviving (where a chain of people and a specific order or reviving team mates is implemented) was commonplace.Ive seen how BF game mechanics can be exploited to have 5 guys go from dead to alive in less than one second.

I also proved in BFBC2 beta that you could have your best weapon be the Knife simply by only using the knife and running in and gutting 4-5 people per spawn. There was a Sprint - Knife net code lag that made it almost impossible to defend even if you saw me coming.

I like both gameplays however I feel that BF is a little too fast....and that its NOT planetside.

I do think the whole idea of running in, running out, repairing and healing over and over again is a little too ritualistic in today's era, I certainly don't want to see a bunch of insta gib kill spam that you get in the BF series.

yes headshots are good. Yes knife kills are good. Just not the way CoD and BF do it....for this game.

So, I hope that they balance the pace of the game, so that it is a tad faster than the old PS but not quite as fast as the Battlefield series.
I agree with this. PS was a tad too slow, but I think the main slowness was the time it took to get back to the fight.

Speeding up the time it takes to kill...yes, a little bit. But not to the level of Battlefield games. A halfway point between PS and the battlefield games would be good.

I don't want to see a tank die to 1-2 AV shots either.

The major concern I have is that if you speed up lethality you will see the respawn screen a lot more, which only exacerbates any travel/respawn issues in the game. Having a slightly slower pace for PS compared ot battlefield is a good thing. Dying instantly without much time to react is fine for a game like Battlefield where you'll be back in the action in about 5-10 seconds, but PS is many times longer than that. As a result, the pacing should be less lethal.

A bit less lethality also makes things more tactical and makes random luck less prevalent. All good things, especially for Planetside.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion