Anyone else think this must be a joke? - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: LOST: Puppy, goes by the name of "Hamma", reward if found
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-07-14, 12:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Cartel
Private

Re: Anyone else think this must be a joke?

Ive never played sniper for more than 5 minutes in most fps games

TF2 has a ridiculous crit system - Im sure people wouldnt rather see that

The ability to aim for the head consistently is what separates good players from bad
People that can aim will never have a problem with this - imagine how much better of a game ps1 would have been with headshots - no adadadada spam

I cant wait for them to take out all the noob shit from ps1 and make ps2 a real fps game where aim matters

Last edited by Cartel; 2011-07-14 at 12:49 PM.
Old 2011-07-14, 12:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Bags
Lieutenant General

I like ADADADA spam. Aiming at someone doing that takes as much skill as aiming for the head on someone barely moving, if not more.
Old 2011-07-14, 12:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Cartel
Private

to each his own i guess

I always thought it made planetside look like crap
Old 2011-07-14, 12:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Volw
First Sergeant

I always thought tactics and teamwork is what separates good players from bad ones ...
All that matters is that there is enough freedom, and enough fuckers to kill, in the game that Renegade Legion can do our thing. If there is that, then the rest of the game shall be bent to our will, just like the first one was. - Hovis [RL] on PS2

Renegade Legion
http://forums.renegade-legion.org
Old 2011-07-14, 12:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Cartel View Post
Ive never played sniper for more than 5 minutes in most fps games

TF2 has a ridiculous crit system - Im sure people wouldnt rather see that

The ability to aim for the head consistently is what separates good players from bad
People that can aim will never have a problem with this - imagine how much better of a game ps1 would have been with headshots - no adadadada spam
OUT!
NOW!

FOOL!

Headshots NEVER EVER added ANYTHING to gameplay. They just made the good players better, while adding TONS of frustration to the targets.
Imagine how much FUN it would be to sit inside the base for ages because you know you die instantly to a Ton of snipers sitting around the base, getting ready to let your head explode.

And the argument "But other games had it, waaah" is completly invalid in terms of Planetside. In CSS, COD or whatever you just switched servers if you got a guy in the other team just Headshotting you every damn second. In Planetside, that wont be possible. Okay, actually it will, but you would not loose the progress youve made on your character, but also loose every connection to mates.
Means you rather just log off. Bang, Frustration, crap game, unsub, gone. Thats what going to happen, nothing else.
Old 2011-07-14, 01:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Bags
Lieutenant General

Yeah, VALVe has come to realize that the reason the sniper is so hated in TF2 is because you can't fight back. Well, you can, but the average player can't.

Blizzard reached the same conclusion about stunlocks; if you can't fight back people get fucking pissed.

The two best video game companies have come to the conclusion that people hate not being able to react before dying; SOE should take notice.
Old 2011-07-14, 01:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Redshift
Major

Originally Posted by RavenLord View Post
It works both ways though, you will be a sitting duck while you line up your headshots
Not really tbh, when i snipe i dance like a muppet while finding a target then crouch and fire, then dance like a muppet again, generally most targets are sitting ducks while repairing

I'm sure i'll get snipped in the head, but i guarantee i'll land more on others than i take myself
Old 2011-07-14, 01:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Raymac
Brigadier General

I'd like to avoid insta-deathes as much as possible, but it happens in PS1 so it will happen in PS2. If you just give me some decent cover, let the snipers have their headshot OSOK. It will be fun dodging a sniper trying to take off my head, and then do some counter-sniping for payback. I love payback.
Old 2011-07-14, 02:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Hamma
PSU Admin

Originally Posted by ShowNoMercy View Post
Hamma, you must not be very good with how percentages work. if a sniper rifle does 250 base dmg and a head shot is 200% of base then it would do 500dmg. If an MCG does 15 base dmg per shot and a head shot was 200% it would only do 30 dmg. Thus the conclusion is that it would save you 1 shot in order to get a kill. Since the MCG has a high fire rate and takes multiple shots to get a kill, 1 shot saved equates to a fraction of a second reduction in the time to kill which in essence is not that important. However, if you are using a gun with a tight cone and could fire off a burst aimed at someones cranial region, it would make a difference. Bottom line is HS dmg increases may or may not make a difference depending on things such as fire rate, CoF, and clip size. We just have to wait and see how the devs incorporate it before we complain about it.
What? Chainguns get a 0% bonus, which means same damage on the entire hitbox. Not that hard to understand.. You are also using theoretical damage amounts.. but ok.

Regardless of any of this I don't see headshots as a problem. As long as it's balanced well and they listen to the community during testing.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer

Last edited by Hamma; 2011-07-14 at 02:47 PM.
Old 2011-07-14, 02:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Logit
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
What? Chainguns get a 0% bonus, which means same damage on the entire hitbox. Not that hard to understand.. You are also using theoretical damage amounts.. but ok.

Regardless of any of this I don't see headshots as a problem. As long as it's balanced well and they listen to the community during testing.
This, it would seem SOE is finally taking the approach of listening to what the people want. IT WOULD SEEM. So if they actually do, things that are raising red flags in the community are probably going to be watched pretty closely.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-07-14, 02:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by basti View Post
OUT!
NOW!

FOOL!

Headshots NEVER EVER added ANYTHING to gameplay. They just made the good players better, while adding TONS of frustration to the targets.
Imagine how much FUN it would be to sit inside the base for ages because you know you die instantly to a Ton of snipers sitting around the base, getting ready to let your head explode.

And the argument "But other games had it, waaah" is completly invalid in terms of Planetside. In CSS, COD or whatever you just switched servers if you got a guy in the other team just Headshotting you every damn second. In Planetside, that wont be possible. Okay, actually it will, but you would not loose the progress youve made on your character, but also loose every connection to mates.
Means you rather just log off. Bang, Frustration, crap game, unsub, gone. Thats what going to happen, nothing else.
Cartel is one of the best battlefield players in the world and has won countless tournaments with his team and rarely been defeated (rivaL gaming, look it up). He understands what skill is, and he knows what teamwork and tactics are. He is no fool.

Apart from some legitimate concerns about pacing a lot of this stuff is pure over-reaction. Whether headshots are good or bad for the game is really only evident when we see them in action in the beta and we can see if their implementation makes sense. Outside of that, adding mechanics into the game that reward skill is generally a good thing and we have no reason to believe it won't be true in PS2.
Old 2011-07-14, 03:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
Cartel is one of the best battlefield players in the world and has won countless tournaments with his team and rarely been defeated (rivaL gaming, look it up). He understands what skill is, and he knows what teamwork and tactics are. He is no fool.

Apart from some legitimate concerns about pacing a lot of this stuff is pure over-reaction. Whether headshots are good or bad for the game is really only evident when we see them in action in the beta and we can see if their implementation makes sense. Outside of that, adding mechanics into the game that reward skill is generally a good thing and we have no reason to believe it won't be true in PS2.
And if he would be christ himself, i dont give a damn. Actually, he should be able to understand that pretty easy: Is it fun to get defeated without the ability to do anything about that? It clearly is not. Everyone who doesnt understand that just needs to jump into a random FPS game and go for a server with really really good guys. Wonder how long you keep playing before you got fed up and quit.

And i agree with both of your last points. We will only really know in beta, and can only there make sure stuff is right, and rewarding skill is "generally" a good thing. But rewarding skill by adding frustration to other is something bad. Not for those rewarded, but for those frustrated.

Time for the list.
Old 2011-07-14, 03:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Soothsayer
Contributor
Sergeant Major

If they can tweak a gun to ignore headshots completely (minigun) then they could balance out a nerf to sniper rifles by diminishing their effectiveness on body armor. Can be explained away any way you want to.

I'm on the fence on OHK, I don't enjoy playing sniper, but I do prefer hard hitting semi-auto rifles in most modern shooters. I don't play sniper because I'm more objective based. I often feel like there are too many snipers when I'm standing on the point, all alone...

So, I like having the option for a high dmg headshot but I think that the sniper class needs to give something up for a massive damage headshot.
Old 2011-07-14, 03:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Kurtz
Master Sergeant

Tactics and teamwork > Individual Skill Level BECAUSE if you have tactics and teamwork then you should be able to point your twitch gamers in the direction of the bad guys and get good results.

I've played with Cartel in PS1 and in BF series. He understands games and balance better than 99.9% of gamers.

Do you all seriously want client side hit detection again? Head shots are good for the game.
Old 2011-07-14, 03:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

What do headshots have to do with CSHD?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion