New single person mechs designed from scratch for PS2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: No you can't get a custom title. Yes really.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Would you like a single person mech in the game? (Please read the thread before posti
I don't like single person bipedal mechs and don't want them in the game 153 75.37%
I want single person mechs, but don't like this implementation. (Explain below) 11 5.42%
I support this implementation 28 13.79%
Other Reason (Explain below) 11 5.42%
Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-10-07, 06:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Re: New single person mechs designed from scratch for PS2

This thread and the terrible idea that spawned it needs to die a horrible death.
Old 2011-10-07, 07:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Wahooo
Captain

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
This thread and the terrible idea that spawned it needs to die a horrible death.
No read Siriasian's sig it is one of the "Best Planetside 2 Ideas" that most of the planetside players here are overwhelmingly opposed to.

Simple point that I tried to make in one of the "BUT THEY AREN"T BFRS!!!11!!" threads over on the offical PS forums a while ago.

If you look through the comments of random postings about PS, which there is a growing amount with PS2 now, or all kinds of really old and most viewed planetside vids on Youtube there are soooo many quotes by people that say something along the lines of "Wow I remember that game! One of my most favorites ever played from release until BFRs!" If you compare statements like this found all over the interwebs it would seem at least 1/2 the people to have ever quit the game did so because of BFRs, or at least in their memory if it wasn't the direct reason it SYMBOLIZES to them what went wrong with the game.
For most of those people and everyone else who currently plays and may simply dislike but overlook current BFRs making something that hints at, smells like or in anyway begins to resemble a BFR, which your mechs do, would be looked at as a direct slap in the face and a big steam pile of admitted fail by the dev team.

Simply if it looks anything like a BFR, it makes people think of everything that has ever been bad about Planetside. Like it or not, rational, fair or otherwise that is simply the case.

So let it go.
Old 2011-10-07, 07:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Captain B
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Wahooo View Post
or at least in their memory if it wasn't the direct reason it SYMBOLIZES to them what went wrong with the game.
For most of those people and everyone else who currently plays and may simply dislike but overlook current BFRs making something that hints at, smells like or in anyway begins to resemble a BFR, which your mechs do, would be looked at as a direct slap in the face and a big steam pile of admitted fail by the dev team.
This is a common aspect of all games. For those who played UO, most people hear "Trammel" and freak out, when the world became consensual PvP only. They hear "Renaissance" ruleset and remember Trammel and it's "OMG SO GAY CAREBEAR FUCKS."

The reality is Renaissance was a vastly superior gameplay upgrade to the normal game, and incorporated a lot of cool stuff. In fact, the only thing that sucked about it was the loss of non-consent PvP and Felucca. However, you'd be hard pressed to find a UO vet that can take a deep breath, review the facts, and admit to this without flipping out and stabbing someone in the neck.

Just because it's similar or had a quality that made them suck, doesn't mean the entire idea of it sucks. Like sandbox-style, non-consent PvP (PKing, stealing, etc.). Those style MMOs don't really exist anymore; if they do, they tend to blow and either fail or have some pretty shitty numbers. It isn't because non-consent PvP is inherently bad, but punishing murderers and thieves for forcing their will on players and then getting caught or killed isn't any different than dying as a good guy. There's no incentive to be good, nor is there any real fear of consequence in being evil.

It's one quality, one aspect that ruins the whole name or concept or idea, but sadly that's the case with a lot of things in life.

Last edited by Captain B; 2011-10-07 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Double-post - sorry!
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion