Opinions on Camo Options - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: The Only Place for your PS
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you like the camo options?
I like the camo options as they are 54 27.14%
I like the camo, but would rather it be faction coloured. 79 39.70%
I dont want any crazy camo options! 31 15.58%
Keep the camo but make crazy ones REALLY expensive 32 16.08%
Other (Please Post) 3 1.51%
Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-06-09, 01:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
Raka Maru
Major

Originally Posted by Revelator View Post
Agree'd I don't think I'll be buying camos(unless i need it for an outfit I join) but I would prefer to see faction based camo's (such as red camo: http://www.armysurplusworld.com/cust...amobandana.jpg for terran republic)
I would only wear that thing on lava rock. Or maybe a Fall festival.
Old 2012-06-09, 01:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
captainkapautz
First Lieutenant

Re: Opinions on Camo Options

Originally Posted by MacXXcaM View Post
I don't want camo to be faction colored. The sense of camo to actually visually cloak you would not be existent anymore... Then it's just a nice random pattern on your character.

I want to wear desert camo in the desert, woodland in the woods and a white camo on an ice continent.
I love how some people don't seem to get that.

"I'm all for camo...as long as it's faction colored!"

LOL WUT?

OT: I want both, I want zebracamo and faction-zebracamo, I want that for all camos actually.

I also want some uni-colors, kinda like this:
  • Step 1. Add Black as buyable armorcolor.
  • Step 2. Make it cost 100 bucks.
  • Step 3. Watch as the game just financed itself for the next 4 years in advance.
Old 2012-06-09, 02:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
Raka Maru
Major

Some of us want to actually use camo for what it's supposed to be used for. Not tinted red/blue/purple for no particular reason. Silhouettes tell you friend or foe.

If we're not going to have camo, then let's not have camo. If we will, then let's do it right. If they sell a camo "kit" with olive drab, black, brown, grey camo sticks you can paint on yourself, I would definitely buy that. If they offered "local vegetation" that I can stick to my armour and helmet, I would buy that...

Don't get me wrong, I'm ok with "Red vs Blue vs Purple", if we are to play that, but don't taint the art of camo with these abominations of ideas and lock me to wearing a reddish version of every camo and still call it "camo". Call it what it is, a "costume".
Old 2012-06-09, 02:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
Vetto
Staff Sergeant

I am ok with it, So what If I see a Max running around with hearts all over it, just means when he falls over dead from being an easy target it's his own fault.
Old 2012-06-09, 02:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
Raka Maru
Major

I would also like to be able to buy netting with appropriate camo on my vehicle if I have to park it somewhere.
Old 2012-06-09, 02:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
Revelator
Private

Misc Info

Err... Let me rephrase my thought's, I have no issue with camos, as long as it is on the uniform, such as digital(Marpat, Flecktarn, BDU and ACU to name a few, anything that looks like a tree, rock, leaf, river, or any other type of terrain) but please, be careful with how you implement "animal" camos, after-all camos are designed(human camos) to make humans harder to see, last I checked I wasn't a Zebra(in a herd) avoiding a lion(therefore I wouldn't have a need for it.) I also agree with mono-colored uniforms(as long as we restricted them to faction colors such as TR: Reds, Greys, Blacks. NC: Blues, Yellows, Tans. VS: Purples, Greens, Cyans.). Rephrased!
Old 2012-06-09, 05:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
Mechzz
Major

Originally Posted by elfailo View Post
Because there are so many naturally occurring zebra patterns in snowy/icy climates. Why hadn't I thought of that?
True but......

what if the night vision equipment makes you see in black and white?

Wouldn't be so daft then, would it?
Old 2012-06-09, 08:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
kaffis
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Raka Maru View Post
Some of us want to actually use camo for what it's supposed to be used for. Not tinted red/blue/purple for no particular reason. Silhouettes tell you friend or foe.
Except the primary way camouflage works is by *breaking up outlines*. So, no, silhouettes won't tell you friend or foe, because the silhouette will be obfuscated by the camo.
Old 2012-06-09, 12:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Raka Maru
Major

Originally Posted by kaffis View Post
Except the primary way camouflage works is by *breaking up outlines*. So, no, silhouettes won't tell you friend or foe, because the silhouette will be obfuscated by the camo.
And this is true. Even the paint jobs and uniform skins do this visually to some extent.

I haven't seen anything that will really change your shape such as a helmet band where you can go harvest parts of bushes. Or allowing us to put branches on our shoulders. So silhouettes are still somewhat intact for now.

Will they put this in? I don't know.

I wouldn't even mind wearing my red and black boldly and proudly on these camo patterns sometimes, but locking us into faction tinted armour will change balance. That's why I'm saying if we're going to have faction tinted camo, make it optional and let me wear neutrals too.

For my Max, a bright Red/Black killing machine will be a terror. My light assault will not want to stand out so he will use something else.
Old 2012-06-09, 12:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
MacXXcaM
Contributor
First Sergeant

One thing I'd be okay with was slightly differences in camo patterns depending on the faction you're in. Just like modern national armies have different patterns.

US Army:

German Bundeswehr:

French army:

Could work for PlanetSide factions as well...
Old 2012-06-09, 01:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

What are we, art critics viewing a controversial modern art masterpiece? Everyone knows the camo options all look bad. Everyone saw how stupid it looked on vehicles and body armor in the E3 streams. It's brutal. The default skins look waaaay better. People don't like them because they look good. They like them because they look terrible. The question is whether someone thinks it'd be funny to run around looking like the bowel movement of a dog that ate a box of crayons, or whether they prefer sticking to faction colours.

Anyway, I suspect they're going to keep these ugly skins in the game because they cost basically nothing to make, apparently, and they'll be what their revenue stream will come from. I just wish they'd do the people who have to look at those ugly patterns a favour and add in an option to disable all custom skins altogether.
Old 2012-06-09, 02:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Raka Maru
Major

Two separate concepts: camo and costume

Becoming part of your environment even superficially with skins is what camo is all about. I think it's the best we will get unless they provide a do-it-yourself camo system.

People that walk/drive/fly around in costumes do not bother me in the least. I can see/shoot them better. If they are in my empire, I will probably keep my distance from these guys unless I want to accidentally get fragged while trying to blend in.

If I was going to spearhead a rush, I would deck out the point units with bright colors/patterns while the medics and engies stay in camo while supporting them. Special forces in camo would go for the objective, even modifying camo when entering a new area. Would like to see the full variety of camo options and decide what would be best for base battles, night raids, fields, etc... All this is fun.

Faction colored "costumes" are welcomed also. I would buy this for my Max rush.
Old 2012-06-09, 03:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Praetor
Corporal

My preference would be for faction based colours. The whole zebra camo stuff would work well in Team Fortress 2, but for me it doesn’t fit well in Planetside 2.
Old 2012-06-09, 03:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Dagron
Captain

Originally Posted by MacXXcaM View Post
I don't want camo to be faction colored. The sense of camo to actually visually cloak you would not be existent anymore... Then it's just a nice random pattern on your character.

I want to wear desert camo in the desert, woodland in the woods and a white camo on an ice continent.
Originally Posted by Raka Maru View Post

If we're not going to have camo, then let's not have camo. If we will, then let's do it right. If they sell a camo "kit" with olive drab, black, brown, grey camo sticks you can paint on yourself, I would definitely buy that. If they offered "local vegetation" that I can stick to my armour and helmet, I would buy that...

Don't get me wrong, I'm ok with "Red vs Blue vs Purple", if we are to play that, but don't taint the art of camo with these abominations of ideas and lock me to wearing a reddish version of every camo and still call it "camo". Call it what it is, a "costume".
Originally Posted by kaffis View Post
Originally Posted by Praetor View Post
My preference would be for faction based colours. The whole zebra camo stuff would work well in Team Fortress 2, but for me it doesn’t fit well in Planetside 2.
Seriously if people want to represent their factions by wearing their colors, that's fine. But don't say you want "faction colored camos" to avoid IFF problems because that's just another zebra/hearts/bright-pink type of silliness. It's actually even worse.

If you are worried about silhouette and colors ruining IFF, you clearly haven't watched the same footage i have where every freakin ally had a green name hovering over their heads!

I agree one faction shouldn't use one of the other faction's colors, but only using yours is stupid. Wearing black/grays, greens, tans, etc is not going to make you shoot the guy who has a neon sign on his head saying " HI, I'M YOUR FRIEND BOB! "...

It's mind boggling that "faction colored camo" is currently winning the poll. What's up with that?

Last edited by Dagron; 2012-06-09 at 03:39 PM.
Old 2012-06-09, 03:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
HEISTT
Corporal

I am a little put off by the weird camo's like the zebra one. Having the camo options resemble at least some piece of the faction colors would be great. I do not know how distinguishable the different factions infantry are in-game, but the weird camo's without faction colors do break a good bit of immersion for me.

To me the acceptable level of camo variety would be lower for infantry than for vehicles, because with vehicles I think it's easier to tell to which faction it belongs.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion