Quick Knife - Is it really the best option? - Page 8 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: PCPwns you.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: What type of Quick-Melee attack do you prefer?
Rifle-Bash -I prefer it to be changed to something a bit more basic and natural. 114 31.58%
Quick-Knife- I prefer it to stay like it is like typical modern shooters. 42 11.63%
I don't want to see a quick-melee at all. Equip your knife to do battle! 205 56.79%
Voters: 361. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-12, 04:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #106
Zekeen
Major

Re: Quick Knife - Is it really the best option?

Originally Posted by Hmr85 View Post
I'm not a fan of quick knife. I would rather you have to actually equip your knife to do damage. Similar to what we had in PS1.
Originally Posted by SixShooter View Post
I'm against any kind of quick mele attack. A knife should be equipped just like with any other weapon, although I will say that I am in favor of it being an inst-kill when knifing someone in the back.
What if there was a Bayonet mod? Would you guys still be opposed to quick-melee?
Old 2012-06-12, 04:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #107
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

Quick melee makes sense with a bayonet. Its out there ready to be used.
Old 2012-06-12, 04:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #108
DayOne
Captain

Originally Posted by Zekeen View Post
What if there was a Bayonet mod? Would you guys still be opposed to quick-melee?
Only quick melee with a bayonet mod if you have to give up any under-barrel attachments (grenade launcher or fore-grip etc.), a barrel mod (silencer or flash suppressor etc.) and even side rail mods (torch or laser). This is the only acceptable implementation in my opinion.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-12, 04:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #109
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

PS1 had a melee booster implant. PS2 has implants for additional perks like weapon draw speed after sprinting and acquisition timer reduction.

Makes sense to bring back melee booster for people that want a 1-shot knife. Tradeoffs. By choosing it they are not choosing something else and that balances it out.

Make quick knife do crap damage like PS1's normal knife attack and equip knife do full damage.

Equip knife = 2 hit kill (1 with melee booster implant)
Quick knife = 4 hit kill (2 with melee booster implant)

There you go. Balance and tradeoffs.
Old 2012-06-12, 04:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #110
Hmr85
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by DayOne View Post
Only quick melee with a bayonet mod if you have to give up any under-barrel attachments (grenade launcher or fore-grip etc.), a barrel mod (silencer or flash suppressor etc.) and even side rail mods (torch or laser). This is the only acceptable implementation in my opinion.
I have to agree with DayOne on this one.

Old 2012-06-12, 04:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #111
Timealude
Captain

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
PS1 had a melee booster implant. PS2 has implants for additional perks like weapon draw speed after sprinting and acquisition timer reduction.

Makes sense to bring back melee booster for people that want a 1-shot knife. Tradeoffs. By choosing it they are not choosing something else and that balances it out.

Make quick knife do crap damage like PS1's normal knife attack and equip knife do full damage.

I like this Idea.
Old 2012-06-12, 04:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #112
GreatMazinkaise
Captain

Infiltrators currently show a Melee Booster certification, so I'm guessing that's where it went. Melee Booster was pretty much a cloaker-only implant anyways.
Old 2012-06-12, 04:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #113
Fanglord
Sergeant

Equipable knife, and I hate to say it but I really liked the BF3 animations from behind.
Old 2012-06-12, 04:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #114
Mechzz
Major

Originally Posted by Fanglord View Post
Equipable knife, and I hate to say it but I really liked the BF3 animations from behind.
and on another thread, people are getting called weird for enjoying look at a female toon's ass.....
*sigh*
Old 2012-06-12, 05:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #115
Zekeen
Major

The quick knife still looks terrible, and there's no way to look good. It looks and feels like a third arm swinging. If we have to have quick melee, a rifle bash or bayonet looks much smoother and better.

Originally Posted by Fanglord View Post

BF3 animations were good but terrible, they took FOREVER, because you ALWAYS had to spin them or something so you could stab them in the chest or neck, they wanted the player to see his killer. In PS2, it should be a grab around the neck and a knife in the back, without the victim being turned around (what's with that?). They would be a bit faster and look a lot better.
Old 2012-06-12, 05:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #116
TaintedPaladin
Private

I'd like to see a buttstroke quick attack with moderate damage that staggers the opponent, not a MAX, or at least sends their aim somewhere else. While the a knife would be an equipable item.

A second option is to have the knife be equipped faster than other items, striking a balance between a quick knife and an equipable knife.
Old 2012-06-12, 06:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #117
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by TaintedPaladin View Post
I'd like to see a buttstroke quick attack with moderate damage that staggers the opponent, not a MAX, or at least sends their aim somewhere else. While the a knife would be an equipable item.

A second option is to have the knife be equipped faster than other items, striking a balance between a quick knife and an equipable knife.
How about both? Bashing them with your gun does small amounts of damage but throws there aim off and staggers them for a split second (allowing you to shoot them), but is nearly instantaneous. Like jumping, it would take longer each time you did it in a row.

Then have the knife pull out twice as fast as most equipped items, but you still need to swing it after pulling it out. The knife would then do a lot more raw damage than bashing.

Variety is nice, right?
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-12, 06:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #118
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Id prefer quick knife was a pistol whip or butt strike animation, but that can be swapped out later. As long as it does significantly weaker dage than equip knife and isnt one shotting people im ok with the shitty animation. Im sure Tray will improve it when he has the opportunity, but i imavine he has a lot more higher priority things to work on, like Heavy assault animations.
Old 2012-06-12, 06:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #119
Sirisian
Colonel

As long as it does significantly weaker dage than equip knife and isnt one shotting people im ok with the shitty animation.
I don't think the damage is a big deal. In my suggestion I used 30% for both quick knife and equipped knife. (Mode 1). Really the time it takes go make successive swipes is the big deal. If you're shooting and run out of ammo and quick knife the enemy should be able to kill you as you pull up your empty gun again. An equipped knife would ideally allow faster swipes. This keeps both of them at a 4 hit attack. Then it also allows the 3 hit with the secondary mode for the equipped stab stack. Enough room for melee booster and such to bring it down to 2 hits and even 1 hit backstab.
Old 2012-06-12, 07:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #120
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

Hate quick knife, there are energy shields how the hell would a knife penetrate those and a bullet not.

I could live with rifle butt if it was weak as shit.

Average play time of 2.0hours per day and falling. Need metagame / Continents.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion