Dont think the HA should be able to fly. - Page 11 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I wanna droid!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-18, 06:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #151
SKYeXile
Major General

Re: Dont think the HA should be able to fly.

Originally Posted by Toppopia View Post
Actually, the Engineer is the best choice as drivers/pilots because they can repair. So they are a more valid choice. Then Light Assault is a below that as pilots. Then rest are equal validility while Infiltrator is least valid as driver/pilot. (Except for quadbike for recon).
so can sunderers, pilots will fly with light assault if they don't have a bailing mechanism equipped.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-06-18, 06:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #152
CollinBRTD
Private

Originally Posted by Kran De Loy View Post
There really is no logical point at this time to restrict HA from getting into any of the vehicles currently on the roster.

If this were PS1 where Rexos could do just about everything (Heal, Repair, Heavy Weapons) then I would completely agree with limiting them from being able to pilot anything.

Since it's not PS1 and the HA are just as valid a choice for piloting as any other class, no more; no less, then this whole argument is moot.

At least until Beta when you can actively point at something that needs balancing.
Normaly i would agree with to wait until Beta for balancing issus. But this one is a design choise.

A. Is an Aircraft a multipurpose transport and attack vehicle
B. Is an Aircraft a mulitpurpose attack vehicle

When you look at other FPS games one of the gamebreakers was always the aircraft. To strong and it dominates the Battlefield . To weak its just beeing used as a transport from A to B. Since in Planetside everybody can spawn an airvehicle it can be strong and hotdropped from.

What i never understood in these discussion in PS1 and PS2 everybody talks about Teamwork. Like the TR tanks needs to have 5 to 10 people to operate, but when it comes to aircav it needed to be a single seater dominate all vehicle including hotdropping with the most powerfull weapons.

I would actually say no bailing from single seater aircrafts! But since that is not happening HA and bailing should be banned.

If you have single seater hotdropping aircrafts with HA there is no use for galdrops no more, since you can all spawn aircav. Shoot everything to pieces and hotdrop it with everything exept maxes.

Collin Cr35 BR5 out
Old 2012-06-18, 06:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #153
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

I just cant see engi being THE class to be pilots, its not like they can bail out in a dogfight and repair there aircraft. Now I do think engi will be THE class to drive all ground vehicles. But as a pilot and wanting to maximize my airplane I will take LA every time to fly. Of course beta might prove me different.
Old 2012-06-18, 06:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #154
Mechzz
Major

What about changing the flight characteristics of the plane depending on the armour you wear when you get in?

So an infil gets no penalties
Engy/Medic get -5% speeed and manouevering
LA gets -10% speed and manouevering
HA gets -30% speed and manouevering
MAX gets -60% speed and manouevering
Old 2012-06-18, 07:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #155
Rexdezi
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Toppopia View Post
Actually, the Engineer is the best choice as drivers/pilots because they can repair. So they are a more valid choice. Then Light Assault is a below that as pilots. Then rest are equal validility while Infiltrator is least valid as driver/pilot. (Except for quadbike for recon).
what? Infiltrator least valid??? Sorry but Inf would be my third choice pilot (LA being first, engi second) as i can use the mozzie/reaver (havent decided which yet) to fly myself to a secluded but advantageous sniping position, land, snipe, and if the battle moves around me, I can fly to the next spot. Infiltrator's would be better choices than Heavy Assault, better than Medic (I see no reason why a medic would ever fly)
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-18, 07:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #156
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by Rexdezi View Post
what? Infiltrator least valid??? Sorry but Inf would be my third choice pilot (LA being first, engi second) as i can use the mozzie/reaver (havent decided which yet) to fly myself to a secluded but advantageous sniping position, land, snipe, and if the battle moves around me, I can fly to the next spot. Infiltrator's would be better choices than Heavy Assault, better than Medic (I see no reason why a medic would ever fly)
You may find as an infiltrator that the Flash (ATV) is the best vehicle for you. I expect it to have an upgrade that turns it into a Wraith from PS1 and drive around cloaked. It's also smaller. I can't imagine a parked aircraft off in a secluded area lasting long with hostile aircraft flying about. ATV more likely to not get noticed, and it's cheap resource-wise, so no big deal if you do.
Old 2012-06-18, 07:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #157
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

As far as the post goes I think its fine for all of the reg inf guys to be able to fly.
Old 2012-06-18, 07:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #158
Rexdezi
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
You may find as an infiltrator that the Flash (ATV) is the best vehicle for you. I expect it to have an upgrade that turns it into a Wraith from PS1 and drive around cloaked. It's also smaller. I can't imagine a parked aircraft off in a secluded area lasting long with hostile aircraft flying about. ATV more likely to not get noticed, and it's cheap resource-wise, so no big deal if you do.
There are places the flash can't get to that a Mozzie/Reaver(also Scythe) can get to, the top of rocky outcrops, umm... etc? :P
Old 2012-06-18, 07:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #159
Nasher
Sergeant

From what we saw at E3 I don't think bailing works the same as planetside 1. When players bailed from moving aircraft (except the galaxy) they kept the momentum of the vehicle and then went splat at high speed.

So to use a vehicle to get on to a rooftop you would have to stop right in front of all the anti-air, bail and hope the vehicle doesn't land on your head.

Last edited by Nasher; 2012-06-18 at 08:00 AM.
Old 2012-06-18, 08:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #160
SergeantNubins
Corporal

This talk about reavers being a better method of transport/insertion that galaxy's is just not valid.. it says a galaxy can now hold 2 squads of people.. thats 20, including at least 4 maxes (and this can be alterered based on the pilot's certs to allow more maxes).

So you can drop 20 people of mixed class + maxes onto a single target, with the resource cost of just the one galaxy.. or you can drop 20 people of mixed class without maxes for the resource cost of 20 reavers.. plus the added time and organisation of having to pull 20 reavers in quick succession - and assuming you have the ability to pull reavers in the first place and the vehicle hasnt been denied your faction through lack of resources/facilities. It would also require considerable discipline and skill from your squads that they all fly to the same target, reach it at the same time and dont get distracted by trying to kill that half dead tank you flew over. And also avoid getting killed by 20 pilotless reavers raining down over the drop area.

The galaxy can also be recycled, a skilled gal pilot can keep the thing alive, circle it back to the spawn point and have it waiting for respawns to allow a quick regroup and take off once you are done, or if its a tower can simply circle until the tower is taken and then land outside and pick everyone up.

On paper at least, there just doesnt seem to be any competition between the effectiveness of galaxy's vs reavers for hotdrops.
Old 2012-06-18, 08:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #161
Nasher
Sergeant

Originally Posted by SergeantNubins View Post
This talk about reavers being a better method of transport/insertion that galaxy's is just not valid.. it says a galaxy can now hold 2 squads of people.. thats 20, including at least 4 maxes (and this can be alterered based on the pilot's certs to allow more maxes).

So you can drop 20 people of mixed class + maxes onto a single target, with the resource cost of just the one galaxy.. or you can drop 20 people of mixed class without maxes for the resource cost of 20 reavers.. plus the added time and organisation of having to pull 20 reavers in quick succession - and assuming you have the ability to pull reavers in the first place and the vehicle hasnt been denied your faction through lack of resources/facilities. It would also require considerable discipline and skill from your squads that they all fly to the same target, reach it at the same time and dont get distracted by trying to kill that half dead tank you flew over. And also avoid getting killed by 20 pilotless reavers raining down over the drop area.

The galaxy can also be recycled, a skilled gal pilot can keep the thing alive, circle it back to the spawn point and have it waiting for respawns to allow a quick regroup and take off once you are done, or if its a tower can simply circle until the tower is taken and then land outside and pick everyone up.

On paper at least, there just doesnt seem to be any competition between the effectiveness of galaxy's vs reavers for hotdrops.
I agree with this. Once the battle gets going and people are properly gear out and in organized squads (unlike at E3!), Reavers/mosq/sythe wont be able to get near the center of the battle without getting instantly pummeled with anti-air. While galaxies can take a hell of a beating and get right over the enemy base with a whole platoon on board.
Old 2012-06-18, 11:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #162
The Kush
Captain

Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
as a pilot, and a Heavy assualt marine, i dont think HA should be able to fly.... ever been in the cockpit of a jet fighter at an air show or museum??

now imagine being in that cockpit, with 200lbs of body armor trying to crush you when you pull G's, not to mention the added size in that already super-cramped space.

hell, i bet you wont even be able to lift your self out of the 45 degree angle reclined seat to push the required buttons to fly an aircraft.

i know first hand trying to get out of that type of seat on a M1A1 MBT was impossible, you had to take your vest off to do it.

honestly, HA=No fly

Edit : not to mention if an HA can fly, whats the point of a GAL? it would be a better idea for all of you to just jump in your mossie/reaver/scythe
@xyntech these are some of my points

I would further add what Higby would call "trade offs". Essentially by picking HA you are carrying more armor and thus are getting rid of the ability to operate a vehicle.
Old 2012-06-18, 10:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #163
Khrakhan
Corporal

Originally Posted by The Kush View Post
@xyntech these are some of my points

I would further add what Higby would call "trade offs". Essentially by picking HA you are carrying more armor and thus are getting rid of the ability to operate a vehicle.
It's not as if they are wearing that much more armor to really add to their surviveability. To not allow HA to drive/pilot wouldnt be a fair trade off.

I dont understand why people are getting so itchy over HA's in a vehicle? Theyre not harder to kill than LA's (less maneuverable), maybe only slightly more firepower.

Really just seems as if people are being how they are in real life.....they like putting unnecessary restrictions on people because of some opinion they have that they feel is superior.

I could argue that LAs shouldnt be able to drive/pilot. How do their jetpacks fit? And that is OP anyway being able to just bail out of a vehicle without needing an ejection seat.

Infiltrators cant pilot either because then it would be unfair that they can get into higher up places they wouldnt normally be able to reach.....how dare a sniper get into a good sniping position, its OP I tell ya!

A medic shouldnt be able to pilot either. What with all that time spent in medical school, where the hell would he have learned how to pilot?! Plus it'd be op if the medic could fly behind enemy lines and heal a teammate, medics are supposed to stay on their own side of the lines and get shot, anything else is just op.

It's also way unfair to allow engineers to be able to pilot, since they can just land and repair their own vehicles. What about all those honest LA's who want to be pilots, but they cant heal their own vehicles so it's definitely way unfair to allow engineers to.

Bottom line: Max's are the only units that cant drive, and the only unit that makes sense for such a restriction.

Last edited by Khrakhan; 2012-06-18 at 11:01 PM.
Old 2012-06-18, 11:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #164
Envenom
Sergeant Major

I have no problems with HA's flying. Why this is even being discussed is beyond me.
Old 2012-06-18, 11:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #165
Shotokanguy
Corporal

Damn, 12 pages. No way I'm reading all of that.

I worry that they're taking balance too far. They're too scared. Snipers can't have jump jets because they can get to really good sniping spots. Light assault can't use big weapons. Blegh.

I'll have to play the game to understand what Heavy Assault is like, but the idea of not being able to use Mossies in THIS game sounds wrong.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion