Feel a little betrayed by tech test - Page 6 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Beware of AMS tree spawns
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-07-22, 01:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #76
Ruffdog
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Re: Feel a little betrayed by tech test

Yep that tech test chick is seeing guys behind your back. But then..she didn't promise you anything. You never had so much as a single date did you?

So was she your chick really?

Last edited by Ruffdog; 2012-07-22 at 01:44 AM.
Old 2012-07-22, 01:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #77
Haro
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Rockstone View Post
Shouldn't they wait until they exhaust their priority/vet pool first?
The priority pool has nothing to do with the tech test. This is technically not beta, so being a PS1 vet obviously has nothing to do with selection. I think they wanted to avoid giving it solely to vets precisely because a lot of people might have ignored the NDA in those circumstances. They don't want people talking about gameplay or balancing yet, because the game isn't at that point in development yet.

Like I said before, all they needed was large collections of random people who met their specs to be in the game to stress-test it. That's what they got. I really think people should just drop the subject, accept that this is how things happened and wait just a little bit longer for beta. There really isn't more to talk about.
Old 2012-07-22, 01:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #78
john leetz
Private

Originally Posted by Radant-J View Post
it seems the vast majority [if not 100%] of the tech-testers weren't PS1 vets, but rather the lowest priority beta invitees.
The best part is, that in addition to the random non-vet no-key players that were invited, a select few players were hand-picked to be let in. Example of players that were hand-picked: BuzzCutPsycho, Tigersmith, Mirror, and half of DT. (Actually, most of them just whined on twitter/the forums to the devs until they got in) The list goes on, but it's pretty pointless to suggest that all of these well-known players were invited coincidentally.
Old 2012-07-22, 01:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #79
The Kush
Captain

Originally Posted by Radant-J View Post
Of all the anecdotes and stories posted here about who got into the tech test, now that it is basically over, it seems the vast majority [if not 100%] of the tech-testers weren't PS1 vets, but rather the lowest priority beta invitees.

I know that the real Beta invites are just around the corner and in the grand scope of things it shouldn't irk me so much, and yet it does. The whole point of the tech test isn't to reward certain players, or even to build hype for the game [hence the NDA], but rather to test out different hardware to see if the game will be compatible. Couldn't SOE have limited the test invites to Station Accounts with PS1 experience first and foremost? After which, if there weren't enough people testing the game, to THEN send invites to those with no PS history?

I know for a fact that many PS1 players have identical hardware to those who were invited, so it really isn't a matter of not having the right specs. I've seen the following argument posed on this forum:
  • "SOE should invite 'scrubs' and 'newbies' with highest priority because, unlike a PS1 Vet, they will make mistakes that will smooth out the experience for most new players." [Looking for Quests, Teamkilling, PVE mindset]
But I submit the following:
  • These things should be obvious. Restraints for TKers are a no-brainer, an easy-to-use interface and tutorial is already provided. This game is a first person shooter, not a traditional RPG. Any effort to make Planetside 2 easier for new players is a task well within the abilities of the talented developers.

PS1 players are not only veterans to the original game, but to First Person Shooters as a genre. All of you reading this thread know the basics of how to shoot and pilot vehicles, to say the very least. The TRUE value of testing with PS1 players is that they will be testing the minutiae of the game.

Who is more likely to discover a small and random bug, a new player who can't figure out which targets are enemies or friendlies, or a veteran player who will try to exploit the games flaws?
You exposed the truth.

SOErry for lying wanted to disguise beta as a "tech" test. Since they didnt want to let us vets down on priority access, but they knew the mmofps virgins would hold the highest population after release. They wanted to see how the game played before us vets got in there and destroyed everyone.
Old 2012-07-22, 01:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #80
Broadside
Sergeant

Originally Posted by TheDAWinz View Post
Planetside 2 Community event "Uncut" (No game-play) - YouTube

Stop QQ'ing, they don't know who people are when they look at specs.
I was actually the guy that he was talking to in that conversation. I was sitting on the couch enjoying my pizza and he came up and started asking me how I liked the game. Nice guy.
Old 2012-07-22, 01:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #81
QuantumMechanic
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by john leetz View Post
The best part is, that in addition to the random non-vet no-key players that were invited, a select few players were hand-picked to be let in. Example of players that were hand-picked: BuzzCutPsycho, Tigersmith, Mirror, and half of DT. (Actually, most of them just whined on twitter/the forums to the devs until they got in) The list goes on, but it's pretty pointless to suggest that all of these well-known players were invited coincidentally.
Yeah, I noticed this as well. Last saturday night you could see who's online in the PS2 forum even if you didn't have beta access (somebody had posted the link). They have since fixed it so you don't have permissions if you aren't in the tech test/beta. But I recognized a few additional names to the above list - all "high profile" people. I won't name names but they were leaders of a few different PS1 outfits. I have to admit that kinda pissed me off because SOE explicitly said they aren't playing favorites with the tech test... then they go hand picking favorites.

Last edited by QuantumMechanic; 2012-07-22 at 02:00 AM.
Old 2012-07-22, 02:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #82
cHaM
Private

Old 2012-07-22, 02:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #83
Ninjacalypse
Corporal

My thoughts:

MEH...
Old 2012-07-22, 02:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #84
RedNine
Private

It seems a lot of very certain types of video card/CPU combinations are what got into the tech test.

I wouldn't sweat it, beta will start soon enough and if you weren't in the pool picked for the tech test, wait for it. A LOT of vets got into the tech test.
Old 2012-07-22, 02:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #85
Daemonn
Private

Go watch the most recent stream of Higby playing... I spotted a few familiar names playing on their usual faction. Coincidence? Just watch the stream, you'll see many. Also there are comments made in the chat that clearly show some PS1 players are playing.

Guy 1 -"Which way to caves?"
Guy 2 - "OH GOD NO"
Guy 3 - "no caves no bfrs"

I dont think its as bad as you think. I'm kind of surprised this hasnt been locked.
Old 2012-07-22, 03:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #86
cHaM
Private

There are a lot of Vets in the Tech Test from what I've seen. No worries.
Old 2012-07-22, 03:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #87
Night
Private

If you played PS1 for 9 years you seriously need to look at other games. After CC it just went downhill. Today it really sucks...
Old 2012-07-22, 04:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #88
Zenben
Master Sergeant

OP, it ever occur to you that the reason you haven't heard about vets getting in is because the vets are the ones respecting the NDA and not talking about it?
Old 2012-07-22, 04:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #89
Mister Morden
Private

some of the ps1 players are so damn arrogant, they really think only they know how to make this game great, and some of them are even worse, they cry because xy from ps1 isn't in ps2.
Old 2012-07-22, 04:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #90
Solidblock
Staff Sergeant

91 posts, I'm not even going to bother reading it. If you feel really let down, you feel entitled, which you have rejected and said you are not. Ludicrous.
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion